News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Any info on Saint-Nom-La-Breteche?
« on: September 25, 2009, 10:19:36 AM »
I am watching a bit of the Vivendi Trophy matches currently on the Golf Channel. Looks like the 2 courses there were built in the late 1950's. Anyone know who designed these courses? Has anyone played these courses? Is/was there a composite course used for these matches and/or the Lancome?

Steve Okula

Re: Any info on Saint-Nom-La-Breteche?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 03:23:43 PM »
The two courses were done by Fred Hawtree, I believe circa 1959. His son Martin has recently been called in to lend some ideas about their greens rebuilding program. They are gradually converting the old soil push-ups to a U.S.G.A. type of thing.

The tournament is played on a composite, as was the now extinct Lancomb Trophy that St. Nom hosted for so many years.

St. Nom is a solid, parkland course, but no architectural gem or "must see" type of thing (except for the clubhouse, simply the most charming, quintessential French chateau. Do lunch in the main dining room).

The club is maintained in unfailingly excellent condition by my good friend and colleague, superintendent Bill Warnick CGCS, who hails from Oregon.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 03:33:48 PM »
Steve -

Thanks for the helpful info.

DT

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 05:24:37 PM »
David.

I am not sure which order they are playing the course - is the 18th still the downhill par three with the pond on the right?
It is a decent course but nowhere near the class of Chantilly,Morfontaine or Fountainebleau.
In a country of truly great clubhouses it may have the best one.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back