News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Heli-Golf: The future of the game?
« on: October 05, 2009, 01:00:46 AM »
I've noticed that companies are popping up around the globe offering "heli-golf" services to high rollers who want to minimize the hassle of traveling between golf courses.    The helicopters deliver the golfers straight to the course.  So, for example, if you were staying on Maui you and three of your friends could pay around eight or nine thousand dollars to take a heli over to Lanai to play the Manele course.  That way you could avoid that pesky ferry that takes 45 minutes and costs $30 dollars.  Really.

http://www.heligolfhawaii.com/rates.shtml

But this and all this discussion about inaccessible tees and spectacular golf holes got me thinking.  Why stop there?   Why not make the heli a golf cart?  Do it like heli-skiiing.  The heli takes the golfers to a tee in some unbelievably spectacular location, the golfers hit their drives, and the heli whisks them to their next shot.   No more pesky cart paths!   And imagine the views from the rides between shots and holes.   We could call it The Heli-Golf Cart Experience.

Here is location that would work well, already named appropriately:  Glacier National.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 01:55:23 AM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Rich Goodale

Re: Heli-Golf: The future of of the game?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 01:10:43 AM »
Administrators, can we block this thread from Melvyn's computer, please.  The mind boggles as to how he would respond if he could see it......

David, I think you should pitch this to Trump.  If he can't get compulsory purchase orders for the rogue landowners at Menie, maybe he can fly over their properties from green to tee?

David_Elvins

Re: Heli-Golf: The future of the game?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 03:17:53 AM »
David,

I assume you haven't seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3_W_JryhR0
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

DMoriarty

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 01:27:39 PM »
David,

I assume you haven't seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3_W_JryhR0

Unbelievable!  First Al Gore steals my internet idea, and now some South African developer steals my heli-golf idea.   What's next?  Will the Gap steal my idea for edible socks?

Here is a description of the hole featured in the video linked by David above; the 19th hole at The Legends Golf and Safari Club in South Africa:

Set high up on the impressive Hanglip Mountain, it is the longest Par 3 in the world and is accessible only by an exhilarating helicopter ride. Golfers are invited to tee-off from the edge of the mountain in an attempt to hit a hole-in-one on the 19th located at the bottom of the cliff. A hole-in-one will soon earn the lucky golfer US$1m. The sheer scale of the golf course, with large undulating greens and strategic bunkers and the majestic mountainous backdrop together with the Extreme 19th, make for a unique golfing experience.

Here is what Gary Player has to say about it:
How are you going to explain to anybody unless they come here and see how high that tee is?  It takes 24 seconds for the ball to hit the ground!

And to think I took the time to photoshop helicopters and golf holes onto a pristine national treasure to create an extreme golf hole!  I should have just searched the internet. 

What's a critic to do when real life caricatures even satire?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 01:44:23 PM »
Sorry to give you the bad news:

Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

DMoriarty

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 02:02:59 PM »
Drats!  Foiled again!

Phil Benedict

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 02:31:29 PM »
This hole is not for me.  I can't even hit from the second deck of a driving range for fear of falling off.

David_Elvins

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
[Unbelievable!  First Al Gore steals my internet idea, and now some South African developer steals my heli-golf idea.   What's next?  Will the Gap steal my idea for edible socks?

That's alright Dave, I was cleaning through some stuff recently and found my design notes that I wrote in 1990 (at age 15)  for a "Revolutionary Golf Course".  It included points such as - Remote location, no man made water hazards, in natural dunes near the beach, no rough around the greens, wide fairways, no golf carts and "circus putt" greens (whatever that meant).

Pretty sure I missed the boat, but atleast my dream course does exist.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 12:54:47 AM »
I assume they leave a mower at the top.
but do they fly someone up to cut, fertilize & water?
does the pump station have enough hp to get the water up there?  :)
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 05:31:48 AM »
Mike

As an adopted Houstonian you must know the answer to your questions:

Astroturf!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 06:07:05 AM »

Rich

Why am I reminded of the Seven Plagues of Egypt?

Perhaps the Seven Plagues of Golf may be appropriate

1)   Carts
2)   Cart tracks
3)   Distance aids
4)   Island Greens
5)   Cart Balling
6)   Heli-Golf
7)    ??????????

One good thing about high fuel prices will be to limit Heli-Golf for the rich only, which should get up the noses of many here.

As for Heli-Golf, pray tell me where is the skill in all that? It looks more like hitting the hell out of the ball and hopes the weather, wind and whatever else out of the control of the poor rich idiot playing gets the ball to the target. I would venture one more point that gravity plays a greater part in the shot than anywhere else that with the wind circulating gives the player very little control over his shot.

I do see one advantage, some of the players may meet their maker sooner than others, just one slip or mechanical failure. One final thought, not much use shouting ‘Fore’ so more accidents from falling object should also be considered. There is a chance that Heli-Golf could die out before too long and not just from the high cost of fuel.

Melvyn     

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 06:12:59 AM »

Melvyn

".....hitting the hell out of the ball and hopes the weather, wind and whatever else out of the control of the poor rich idiot playing gets the ball to the target..."

...is the best definition of golf, past, present or future, that I have ever seen.  Thanks!

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back