News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jim_lewis

Re: Semi ot - Vinny Giles wins U.S. Senior Am on classic Ross course
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 10:14:47 PM »
Charlie Coe won 2 US Amateurs and was runnerup to Jack Nicklaus in a 3rd. Also runnerup in British Open. Played in 19 Masters, making 8 cuts and finishing 2nd once. Played in 6 Walker Cups and was Captain once. Plus, a string of other prominent amateur championships. Arguably second only to Bobby Jones among career amateurs.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Lester George

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 07:08:13 AM »

Vinny also played on 4 (I believe) Walker Cups with an impressive record.  He captained the Walker Cup and World Amateur team as well.

He was low amateur in the Masters which I think he played in 6 or more times and I think he was low amateur in at least one US Open or Senior Open.

Lester

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 08:47:28 AM »
Here in NC, Paul Simson has won 19 statewide (CGA) championships.  He has a British Senior Am victory, three stroke-play medalist finishes in the US Senior, and one in the US Mid-Am.  He's virtually owned NC mid-am/senior golf over the past two decades.

JESII

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 09:11:39 AM »
Bill Hyndman was a legend here in Philadelphia during the time Charlie Coe played as well...I'd put his resume up against just about any of the life-long amateurs.

archie_struthers

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 09:31:44 AM »
 ;D ??? ;D ;)

Pretty amazing for one Marvin Giles to win the  Am , given his age  (68)  interesting the comment that he was much longer than John Grace and it was one of the advantages he had going in to the final match.

Am I wrong about his age ?   

JSlonis

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 10:10:38 AM »
;D ??? ;D ;)

Pretty amazing for one Marvin Giles to win the  Am , given his age  (68)  interesting the comment that he was much longer than John Grace and it was one of the advantages he had going in to the final match.

Am I wrong about his age ?   

Archie,

Vinny is 66. You'll appreciate this...Last Thursday at the Crump Cup, during the cookout at the Dormie House, someone got Vinny on his cell phone and put him on speaker, he was then greeted by all the players with a raucous ovation.  He was a neat moment.  Vinny is a class act in every regard, it was great to see him win the Sr. Am.

TEPaul

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009, 10:59:46 AM »
"interesting the comment that he was much longer than John Grace and it was one of the advantages he had going in to the final match."

ARCHIE:

It doesn't surprise me at all that Vinny Giles is still considered pretty long. He's not a big guy but in my opinion he probably is one of the last of the old fashioned shot makers. He didn't get his length by hitting it like some of these young guys today (really high and straight); he got it by really "moving" the ball from right to left and in that way he definitely has different "gears." ;) In my experience Giles can draw or even hook even a SW more and better than anyone I ever saw and it was a shot he used all the time---maybe he still does. The guy is a real shotmaker----eg tremendous imagination and ball striking ability. To me Vinny Giles just seems like the type of guy who was born to be a good golfer.

BCrosby

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
Great news. I used to caddy for Vinnie and Jimmy Gabrielson when they were on the UGA golf team. At the time they played their home matches at Athens CC. He was a heck of a player back then. Sounds like he hasn't lost very much.

Interesting is the clubs he hit into par 4's. Back in the mid 1960's Vinnie would hit 2i or 3i into the 11th at ACC. The kids today, from tees about 20 yards farther back, hit 6i's or less.

Bob

Lester George

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 11:33:52 AM »
Tom,

You are correct in your assertion about Vinny's ability to still move the ball.  2 weeks before his victory we played Ballyhack together.

On the 16th hole I hit my driver as good as I could, and thanks to alot of roll it traveled about 280.  Vinny then hit a long, sweeping, right to left beauty that landed a yard behind my ball.  As we approached our shots I was gloating that I had finally outdriven him to which he replied, "nice drive Lester, but I hit my 3 wood"! The caddie confirmed it.

On the 14th hole that day he had 112 yards to the pin and played the patented "hook wedge" you spoke of and drew it back into the hole for a 2!  Unbelieveable. 

I knew then he was getting serious about the Senior AM.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back