News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Kimball

Tour Championship at East Lake -- status for this week??
« on: September 21, 2009, 03:02:44 PM »
Guys -- it has been BRUTAL in the Atlanta area for about 5 days now -- and not much chance for a let up any time soon. Anyone in the Treehouse that might be closer to the situation down at East Lake that would like to add anything? This pales in comparison to people who are dealing with flooded houses and tree damage, but I would be interested to know what the contingency plans are. That's a pretty big lake in the middle of the course, I can't imagine that it hasn't covered some holes completely with water.

This is from GD today --

Raining on the Tour Championship parade
09.21.09 | 12:51 PM
Tour Championship weather report, courtesy of Stewart Cink (and Twitter):

"It's rained so much around ATL that many school systems are delayed or cancelled today. And East Lake closed all day--range and course."

The AccuWeather forecast for Atlanta calls for showers and thunderstorms every day this week, through Sunday.

-- John Strege

Phil_the_Author

Re: Tour Championship at East Lake -- status for this week??
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 03:31:15 PM »
Fortunately with no PGA Tour event next week they can always wait...  ;)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 04:06:37 PM »
Remarkable here on the north end of Atlanta, and I think the south end where East Lake is might be worse. 

http://www.ajc.com/news/storms-making-traffic-a-143273.html

We closed the school where I teach in Alpharetta an hour early today and got the kids on their way home as quickly as possible.  The lower parking lot flooded to knee-deep level in less than 30 min.; we barely got the cars out in time.  It was amazing to watch.  Never say never, but it is very difficult to imagine any golf course in north GA being in good shape by this weekend, given the coming forecast for the next couple of days.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 04:06:50 PM »
What a difference a year makes....its either feast or famine so to speak!!

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 05:03:50 PM »

It is a remarkable contrast to the drought, for sure.  Atlanta hasn't seen rain like this in over 15 yrs., since Tropical Storm Alberto parked over the state in 1994. 
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jason McNamara

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 05:50:49 PM »

True of a great many places:  The climate's nice, but the weather sucks.    :)

Doug Wright

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 08:47:18 PM »
I asked Stewart Cink on Twitter if he thought East Lake would play harder (ie longer) or easier (soft greens) due to the rain and this was his reply: 

"all courses easier with wet conditions. East Lake does have sub air under greens so they could stay fairly firm and fast."
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back