News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

New Old Mac Video (Redan)
« on: September 21, 2009, 02:34:45 PM »
Latest Old Mac preview video by Mr. Dunn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ5Vxs2WV4E#
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 02:37:49 PM by Jim Colton »

Jerry Kluger

Re: New Old Mac Video (Redan)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 02:41:59 PM »
Great to see these videos.  I was wondering - does the Redan have a ridge or hump between the front and back which you have to go over to get to the back portion of the green or is it simply that the front of the green is higher than the back portion? 

Rob Rigg

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 04:03:47 PM »
He should work "I'm on a Doak" into the intro and then again at the conclusion - that would be sweet.

It's a lot of fun to see the holes that are not on the "preview" round - and I continue to enjoy seeing the interpretation of templates as opposed to photocopies - I think it will make the course even more interesting, and I think that this is an area where a lot of architects who "copy" holes fall down.

Bruce Leland

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 04:40:44 PM »
He should work "I'm on a Doak" into the intro and then again at the conclusion - that would be sweet.

It's a lot of fun to see the holes that are not on the "preview" round - and I continue to enjoy seeing the interpretation of templates as opposed to photocopies - I think it will make the course even more interesting, and I think that this is an area where a lot of architects who "copy" holes fall down.
Just ran across "I'm on a Doak" on YouTube for the first time......hilarious!! 
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 07:11:41 PM »
Jerry, The greens slopes front to back. Besides right to left.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

C. Squier

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 07:21:42 PM »
Silly question:  Why cut a pin when you're still growing grass?

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 08:28:43 PM »
Clint - They probably cut for the video.... But, when I played the preview holes with tom before it opened, they had pins in. Tom said they (the super, tom, mr. keiser, etc) could work on possible pin placements. I would think it helps the grounds crew mow in the proper direction. Or maybe they are still deciding what color they want the flagsticks!

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 10:08:16 PM »
At the time of this video, there were no cups cut into the 8 new greens.  Recently, when Mr. Keiser and friends played, cups were cut on those greens, even if they weren't close to having tight, playable turf.

The long putt, down the slope and into the cup, was nearly without a doubt on one of the 10 preview greens....the ball rolled far too well and true to think it was rolling on one of the new greens.  (that was Grant Rogers, btw)  Those greens are currently rolling at about 9+, with some of the most beautiful fescue turf to be found.  Kudos to Ken Nice and the Old Mac green staff.

There have been various flags on the Old Mac greens, as a number of flag styles have been considered.

Hope this helps,
Tom

ps...........heat wave on the coast; 80 degrees and windless!
the pres

Rob Rigg

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 12:07:48 AM »
ps...........heat wave on the coast; 80 degrees and windless!

Tom,

That's not nice . . . especially for those of us only a 5 hour drive away who could never get a hallpass at such short notice.

:)

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 04:17:33 PM »
Incidentally, how is "Redan" pronounced?

Tom D and John Dunn pronounced it as "Red-ann". My natural instinct would be to pronounce it quickly as "Redn". How do the Scots pronounce it. Maybe it's because I'm Irish, and we tend not to stretch the vowels so much, especially the "a".

Dónal.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 04:20:51 PM »
Incidentally, how is "Redan" pronounced?

Tom D and John Dunn pronounced it as "Red-ann". My natural instinct would be to pronounce it quickly as "Redn". How do the Scots pronounce it. Maybe it's because I'm Irish, and we tend not to stretch the vowels so much, especially the "a".

Dónal.

Funny,

I've always gone with "Re-Don" or Ray-Dan"...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back