News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Use your judgment...or lose it?
« on: September 18, 2009, 05:47:49 PM »
Some food for thought over the weekend.

Many on here dismiss criticism of certain courses (who shall remain nameless). This dismissal usually takes the form of:

You obviously are biased against courses by ____, you shouldn't even post on said courses, you obviously have nothing to share. I, on the other hand, can appreciate a wide variety of courses, so I am allowed to praise said architect's courses. You may not criticise them.

As I sit and observe the world today, I wonder if our praise for non-judgmentalism has resulted in the lack of exercising those muscles. The desire to be seen as non-judgmental, able to "tolerate" or appreciate other course, has resulted in a lack of proper peer evaluation for golf course architecture, imho.

I'll spare everyone the political rant, and I hope you will, too.

What do you think about my premise, as it relates to architecture? If you are accepting of gca in all it's forms, can you really be seen as properly critical of good and bad architecture?

Just something to think about over the weekend, hope everyone has a good one.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 05:51:11 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Use your judgment...or lose it?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 07:30:47 PM »
George,
Being tolerant of GCA in all it's forms has nothing to do with a person's capacity to judge, all it says about that person is that they are comfortable in what they think and don't waste time judging stuff that has no meaning for them.

As I sit and observe the world today, I don't wonder at all about judgemental-ism, it's the underlying problem in just about every crisis. If you stop judging people on 'what' they are you can actually see 'who' they are.
I'll stop now George.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Craig Sweet

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 07:55:13 PM »
Well now, for example...I spoke with a guy yesterday that has played Rock Creek and the Stock Farm and he said in his mind the Stock Farm is a notch or two above Rock Creek in every way...in fact he said he thought the Stock Farm is a better course than Hazeltine, Torrey Pines, and several others that I blanked out on mid way through his sharing of his opinion....

He said, for example that he did not like the "bumpy" tees at Rock Creek...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 08:06:23 PM »
(which Rock Creek?  There's one in Portland OR that's not so good ;) )

Michael Huber

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 08:31:36 PM »
there is a fine line between disagreement and belligerence

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 03:08:00 AM »
Where's Matt Ward when his presence is invoked.  Here, this should work.. WOLF CREEK!!

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 04:06:23 AM »

Many on here dismiss criticism of certain courses (who shall remain nameless). This dismissal usually takes the form of:

You obviously are biased against courses by ____, you shouldn't even post on said courses, you obviously have nothing to share. I, on the other hand, can appreciate a wide variety of courses, so I am allowed to praise said architect's courses. You may not criticise them.

As I sit and observe the world today, I wonder if our praise for non-judgmentalism has resulted in the lack of exercising those muscles. The desire to be seen as non-judgmental, able to "tolerate" or appreciate other course, has resulted in a lack of proper peer evaluation for golf course architecture, imho.

What do you think about my premise, as it relates to architecture? If you are accepting of gca in all it's forms, can you really be seen as properly critical of good and bad architecture?

George

Is it not reasonable for a guy to think that all or most forms of architecture can produce exceptional results?  I know I used to believe, for the most part, that only courses well integrated with their surrounds both immediate and in the distance and on proper golfing terrain could ever be considered great as total package.  A few courses changed my mind on this issue, Beau Desert and Kington.  Both are awkward looking courses but great none the less.  Also, while Yeamans didn't strike me as a home run, I could see where that style toned down a bit around the greens could produce greatness.  In fact, I could see changing my mind about Yeamans given enough rounds - I changed my mind about BD and Kington.  Also, pix of Lawsonia strike me this is another of the geometric style that could be great.  Given the visual mismatch, imo, between the the courses mentioned and the terrain the set on, I now think it possible for almost anything to work.  Of course, I will always be heavily critical of mountain and desert golf because of the tie in and walking issues, but I can see where somebody could pull off a great course, but I think it would be very, very difficult to do so. 

So I guess my answer to your question is yes. 

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kirk Gill

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 11:01:33 AM »
Well now, for example...I spoke with a guy yesterday that has played Rock Creek and the Stock Farm and he said in his mind the Stock Farm is a notch or two above Rock Creek in every way...in fact he said he thought the Stock Farm is a better course than Hazeltine, Torrey Pines, and several others that I blanked out on mid way through his sharing of his opinion....

Your point? He was "wrong?" Or was he expressing his honest opinion, based on his own set of criteria - criteria with which you may completely disagree?

George, when it comes to golf course architecture, one can embrace the "big world theory" advocated by Tom Paul, and still make judgements about what courses you like, and what courses you don't. At the same time, I guess you're proposing that there are enough rules and regs about what constitutes good architecture that one can confidently say that some courses are bad and some are good, without adding an "imho" at the end. It would be an interesting exercise to try and come up with a set of criteria by which courses could be judged that everyone would agree with. Tom Doak has his scale, and it's worth paying attention to because of how many courses he's seen and played, and how smart he is about it. But still, you can't necessarily consider those rankings as definitive - it's one man's opinion, despite how well-informed an opinion it may be.

I guess I feel like there's enough art in GCA to make good and bad and best and worst a matter of opinion. I like when someone has an opinion that's very different than mine, and can defend their opinion. I really like it when my mind gets changed, but I also like a quality disagreement. It's silly to just like everything, but it's equally silly to be convinced that what I believe is Right and what everyone else believes is Wrong, and that's that.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

DMoriarty

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 12:47:49 PM »
I don't know if I would couch it in terms of a desire to be "tolerant" or "non-judgmental" but otherwise think George may be onto something.  Expressing one's own personal likes and dislikes is well and good, but that sort of thing is better left for opinion polls than it is for actual discussions of the merits of golf courses (or anything for that matter.)  In order to have an actual productive discussion, those involved must be willing and able to move beyond their own visceral preferences to, at the very least, some understanding of what is driving that visceral reaction.    But that is just a beginning.   They should also be able to consider the broader issues that their particular personal preference might implicate, explicitly or implicitly.   They should also be able to at least try and consider other frameworks from which to view the medium.   

The way it works often works on hear is  something like this.  I really liked X.  Why? It was challenging and fun.  But what about all of the (some critical observation.)   It is at this point that things fall apart, as the first party usually either denies the validity of the observation (you aren't qualified to say, or he doesnt do that any more, or you just don't like the guy, or that doesnt really happen) or the person simply doesn't care (that doesn't bother me or it doesn't impact me, or that's just your opinion.   In all these cases there is not much to talk about after this, at least nothing that will be immediately productive or at all advances the conversation. The conversation is effectively over, at least from their perspective.   

I'm rambling, but I guess what I am saying is that this website needs to decide whether it is ready and willing to entertain open and frank discussion and debate about all aspects of golf course design, or whether it is simply a place where people come to express their personal preferences, visceral reactions, or deeply held (but often unsupported) beliefs, without meaningful discussion, comment, or challenge.   

Your point? He was "wrong?" Or was he expressing his honest opinion, based on his own set of criteria - criteria with which you may completely disagree?

He is very likely expressing his honest opinion and "wrong."  Wrong because I very likely disagree with him, but then I am entitled to my honest and heartfelt visceral reaction to, aren't I?   But the problem with heading down this path is we are left with nothing to discuss.  The reality is that his or your or even my visceral reaction to the courses is not really all that interesting, at least to me.  I want to know the WHY of it.   That is what this place should be about.   

So if this guy wants to provide a coherent description of his criteria, and he is able to place those in the larger context of golf design generally, then I'd be glad to hear what he has to say and consider it and discuss it with him.   But if all he has to say is I don't like bumpy greens, then I've not nothing to discuss with him because he has very little to say which is at all relevant to the larger discussion.   The fact that people like him have this preference may be relevant and worth noting, but if that is all he has to say then this is not really the place for him.  He hasn't yet broken through the "surface tension" between visceral reaction and actual coherent analysis and a more in depth understanding.

George, when it comes to golf course architecture, one can embrace the "big world theory" advocated by Tom Paul, and still make judgements about what courses you like, and what courses you don't. At the same time, I guess you're proposing that there are enough rules and regs about what constitutes good architecture that one can confidently say that some courses are bad and some are good, without adding an "imho" at the end.

This "big world theory" is a crock.   It is an agreement to disagree, and generally cuts off all meaningful and relevant conversation.  There isn't room in golf design for everything.  Some courses are bad for golf design and bad for golf, whether they evoke positive visceral reactions or not.   But I don't think George is proposing "one set of rules and regs" at all, but he does seem to be suggesting that we ought to be concerned with certain standards or bases or principles that ought to play a role in our analysis.   These don't have to be shared by everyone and I would hope they wouldn't be, as these ought to be what our discussions are about.   

What I don't get is that some people around here don't really seem to give a damn beyond their visceral likes and dislikes.    That is well and good and the way most people operate, but WHY ARE YOU HERE?  Certainly not to actually discuss golf course design.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Craig Sweet

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 03:03:38 PM »
Actually, I think ranking/rating golf courses...in other words saying this one is better than that one....is a crock.  If you want to say this course is better maintained, has better facilities, is more fun to play, has nicer views, etc...fine with me....we all use our "judgement" in different ways...and thus...to tell me that Course A is better than Course B...is rubbish....and if you want to lay a bunch of good architecture vs. bad architecture on me I don't see how that changes much...I still might not like the view, the ball washers, the bumpy tees, the HOC of the fairways...whatever.

I guess what I'm saying is MOST people do not rank their enjoyment of a golf course on architecture...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

DMoriarty

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 04:11:54 PM »
Craig,

I agree that saying something is "better" is meaningless without a criterion for comparison. 

I guess what I'm saying is MOST people do not rank their enjoyment of a golf course on architecture...

But this is supposed to be a website about golf course architecture, isn't it?

Yet I guess what I'm saying is that MANY here do not seem to consider the golf course based on the golf course architecture.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 04:35:45 PM »
David,
George's example.......     

which he sees as not using your judgment doesn't jive with his premise.....

......because the speaker in his example seems to be extremely judgmental of whoever it is he is talking to.  ??? 

If you want to define what the person in George's example is guilty of it's arrogance and intolerance, and not the virtue of being tolerant.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 04:37:25 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 06:16:46 PM »

David,

I think that non-judgementalism is intellectually stultifying. I also find it amusing that those who pontificate tolerance, have very little tolerance for those who question tolerance.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 07:40:05 PM »
George - good and interesting topic, but too much for my brain to think about right at the moment. But I will note that there is what people say, and then there's what people do.  I wonder how judgmental we are (or aren't) when it really counts, i.e. when choosing what courses to actually play, and pay for.

Peter

DMoriarty

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 08:03:22 PM »
Jim,
George can speak for himself, but I agree with you that this hypothetical person is actually acting arrogant and intolerant.  But in this speaker's mind he thinks he is tolerant because he claims he "can appreciate a wide variety of courses."  The hypocrisy comes in when that person then tries to end the conversation by claiming that those who disagree with him are biased.   If you don't like what I like you must be biased and you should stay out of it.   Not exactly advancing any sort of meaningful conversation.

Bradley,  I think your post may have been directed at George.    

As for your second sentence, wouldn't it be just as "amusing" if those who pontificated for tolerance simultaneously welcomed intolerance?   What you apparently do not understand is that many of those who advocate for tolerance do so not just from a personal point of view, but as a general guideline or model for societal behavior.  So a better way to describe their position is that they try to be tolerant of all but intolerance.  Because without the exception, the rule is unworkable.     After all, you can try to live and let live but you might have trouble with the first part if another disagrees with you as to the second part.

Peter,  

I am very judgmental when it comes to choosing which courses to play, which is why you will probably never here me saying that I don't like X's work even after having played 15 of his courses.    I have trouble getting past the first one.  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 08:05:36 PM by DMoriarty »

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 08:04:40 PM »
Maybe when we've got judgmentalism sorted out, we can debate the perils of over-analysis. It's stuff like this that finished off Tony Jacklin.

All forums on all subjects display flashes of rancour and intolerance. This forum is streets ahead of many in keeping it to a minimum. As long as we don't confuse a difference of opinion with a full-frontal assault on our integrity, there's no reason why we shouldn't all opine away as usual.

But I still think Firestone's crap  ;D

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 10:52:03 PM »
Use your judgment at your own peril....

Kirk Gill

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 10:59:37 AM »
I am very judgmental when it comes to choosing which courses to play, which is why you will probably never here me saying that I don't like X's work even after having played 15 of his courses.    I have trouble getting past the first one.  

Understood. Of course, the architect might change, and the courses might be different, but I get your drift.

If there was some kind of all-encompassing criteria by which we all judged golf courses......then what would be the purpose of a dicsussion group? If it's all so clear as to what architectural features are beloved and which are not, then why talk about it at all?

Like I said before.....you don't have to like everything. Have a strong opinion. State it. Let others examine it. Back it up. What gets me is how rancorous this process becomes sometimes. How personal it gets. Maybe that bespeaks the passion about architecture that exists on this site.

I don' think that respecting opinions means that there aren't actual qualitative differences between golf courses. But just because a course isn't as great as Pine Valley doesn't mean its crap. It doesn't mean that it doesn't have features that someone can appreciate without that person being considered a moron. Appreciating what a lesser course brings to the table doesn't mean that it is being elevated to the heights of greatness.

One of the things that George said in his initial post was that often a person gets shouted down with a "you are not quailified to assess this course as you haven't played it and a bunch of others....." etc. We all know that someone who has played a course, especially multiple times, is able to assess a course in a way that you just can't from pictures. At the same time, pictures can illustrate some "macro" themes that a course has, and certain kinds of assessments can be made from them. Assessments that obviously might change once the course is actually played ! No one likes their opinion to be smugly dismissed, and that does happen all too often. In those cases, I just try to consider the source of the dismissal, and move on.
                             -Don Barzini

George Pazin

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 02:09:04 PM »
Jim, I think you are confusing using your judgment with being judgmental.

As an analogy, many years ago it was good to be seen as discriminating. Now the word means something totally different.

I'll address your accusations that my premise is flawed and directly contradictory in a bit, I have to print some bandannas.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 03:50:53 PM »
David,
George's example.......     

which he sees as not using your judgment doesn't jive with his premise.....

......because the speaker in his example seems to be extremely judgmental of whoever it is he is talking to.  ??? 

If you want to define what the person in George's example is guilty of it's arrogance and intolerance, and not the virtue of being tolerant.

To expand on what I posted, I am saying that the person who dismisses crticism in this manner believes he is using his judgment to determine that the other poster is biased, shouldn't post, etc. I am saying that people who simply dismiss criticism without addressing it more often than not lack the critical reasoning to address the other poster's criticisms.

Simply put, if you do not practice critical thinking on a regular basis, you will lack the skills to properly evaluate whether arguments or premises are accurate or not.

I believe far too many people, both at large and on this site, are afraid of making reasoned judgments, precisely because they are afraid of being labeled judgmental. People confuse the terms, and lump all criticism into very broad categories, rather than addressing the specific criticism.

As I see it, you use it or you lose it.

Here's an admittedly absurd example (using myself, because I wouldn't want to put anyone else into this absurd situation, lest they throw a fit):

I personally value the ability to see across broad cross sections of a golf course. I like seeing other holes and other golfers. Pine Valley (which I have not played) is the poster child for the opposite - isolated individual holes. My home muni, North Park GC, which is probably a Doak 2 or 3, is wonderful when it comes to seeing multiple holes and golfers. If I were to say I think North Park is a better golf course than PV because of the openness and lack of isolation, I would hope everyone would question my judgment!

Kirk, I have to think a bit more about your posts. While I do not advocate one regimented set of rules, I do think it's possible to see right and wrong on a golf course - I don't think it is 100% subjective.

Thanks everyone for sharing some interesting thoughts.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2009, 04:55:07 PM »
George, you wrote:
"If I were to say I think North Park is a better golf course than PV because of the openness and lack of isolation, I would hope everyone would question my judgment!"

If I was to use your own words as an example, ...."I think North Park is a better golf course than PV because of the openness and lack of isolation" I would have no problem in making a reasoned judgment, you'd be crazy!  ;D

...and:
"I do think it's possible to see right and wrong on a golf course - I don't think it is 100% subjective."

I might not call it right or wrong, more like good or bad, and I don't think it's all subjective either. I just believe that for the most part we needn't even think about what's bad at all the 2s and 3s and 4s and 5s and 6s that are out there. Those courses should be off the radar screen of negative criticism. They are where the vast majority of rounds are played and for the most part they aren't sticking their heads up and saying "Look at me". They're like the character actor vs. the star. Have you ever heard Siskel and Ebert rip a character actor a new one?, I don't think so. If anything they'll highlight the journeyman actor's good performance. That's the way I think it should be in the world of golf course criticism, you should only 'go after' the venues that think they're the 7s and 8s and 9s and 10s, and when you identify a 10 it should become an icon, with immunity from us peons.  ;D   
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 05:03:57 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Andy Troeger

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 09:50:44 PM »
Craig,

I agree that saying something is "better" is meaningless without a criterion for comparison. 

But this is supposed to be a website about golf course architecture, isn't it?

Yet I guess what I'm saying is that MANY here do not seem to consider the golf course based on the golf course architecture.

Count me in that group that doesn't rank my enjoyment of the golf course based solely on the architecture. I like to think I still "consider" the architecture, but its only part of the whole.

I'm actually often surprised at how blunt some folks are given that their comments are out there for anyone to read. I have to wonder if some (admittedly including myself) use their judgment quite often and just choose not to post everything they think!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 01:06:23 PM »
... We all know that someone who has played a course, especially multiple times, is able to assess a course in a way that you just can't from pictures....

Actually that is not true. Some people can play a course many times and still believe and make false factual statements about the course. When handicapped by such misconceptions, it is easy for such a person to make mistakes in reasoning and opining about the course.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Pazin

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
Maybe when we've got judgmentalism sorted out, we can debate the perils of over-analysis. It's stuff like this that finished off Tony Jacklin.

All forums on all subjects display flashes of rancour and intolerance. This forum is streets ahead of many in keeping it to a minimum. As long as we don't confuse a difference of opinion with a full-frontal assault on our integrity, there's no reason why we shouldn't all opine away as usual.

But I still think Firestone's crap  ;D

Again, I think you misunderstand my point, as do several others on this thread, which tells me I am not being clear in my expression of my thoughts.

I am not trying to rid this site of posters who choose to dismiss criticism, or insist on arrogant condescension as a mode of argument. That's tilting at windmills, and as you rightly point out, this site is far ahead of most in the decorum of posters.

What I am trying to say is that I think people need to actually exercise their critical thinking muscles, lest they atrophy. (And I am not exempting myself from this observation.) The instant dismissals are obvious cases of arrogance, but I also see the need for everyone to really examine and challenge his own beliefs, and the exact details of others. When everything is swept aside as "You just don't like Architect XYZ" or "you are biased against whatever", or even in some cases, the agreement to disagree, I think everyone loses in the process.

I'm continually amazed at how many folks excel at identifying problems, yet promote solutions that exacerbate the problem. Fighting today's bombers with length is the perfect example of this phenomenon in the arena of golf course architecture.

At any rate, I appreciate the thoughts offered on this thread, even if it didn't really accomplish anything.

:)

Kirk Gill

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 01:41:40 PM »
Bayley, I didn't say that having played a course is an end-all be-all justification for any comment about a course - some folks miss certain things, or don't think about certain things, or just don't know what they're talking about - but golf courses were designed and built to be played rather than photographed (although there may be exceptions to this!). I'd likely trust Sean Arble's opinion of a course he's assessing only from pictures more than I might trust my own opinion of a course I've actually played before - but I do believe what I said in that quote, that someone who has played a course is able to assess it in a way that you can't from pictures. So many times I've played a course that I've seen previously in photographs and had my expectations confounded by reality. It doesn't mean that if you haven't played a course you can't have an opinion about it, just that playing the course might inform or even alter that opinion.

George, I may have missed your point as much as anyone, but I like these sorts of threads. All too often discussion of a course ends with "you don't like this guy, so forget it" or "you haven't played the course, so forget it," or even "you're obviously a shill for this architect, so forget it." It's the courses that matter, shouting down folks who disagree with you or walking away when someone questions your assertions doesn't take any thought, and doesn't help anyone.
                             -Don Barzini

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back