News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Wendt

Watched one of the best golf matches I have ever seen today at Beverly Country Club in Chicago.  Our hometown hero, Vinny Giles, defeated John Grace 1 up to win the U.S. Senior Amateur.  It was a beautiful day and the course, a 1908 Donald Ross gem played extremely firm and fast.   It was a treat to watch these guys battle it out.  (Vinny sunk a downhill 18-20 footer on 18 to win the match.)

Vinny is the 1972 U.S. Amateur Champion and '74 British Amateur Champion.  Anyone who has seen him play can attest that he hits the ball like he is 26 or 36, not 66. (He shot one under on the day)

When you talk about the maintenance meld, they hit it perfect this week!  Kudos to Beverly's Superintendent and everyone involved at the club.  Great golf course and as Vinny said,"a place you could play every day and never get sick of it!"

Way to go Vinny!

jonathan_becker

Re: Semi ot - Vinny Giles wins U.S. Senior Am on classic Ross course
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 10:02:17 PM »
Does that make Vinny the only guy to win the am, senior am, and british am?

jim_lewis

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:19:45 PM »
Didn't he also win the Senior Am at Cherry Hills? I seem to recall that win giving him an exemption into the US Open. Will this win do the same? My memory may have failed me........again.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Bill Gayne

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 10:23:53 PM »
He will defend next year at the course he helped develop.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 06:34:30 AM by Bill Gayne »

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 10:37:55 PM »
Intersting, and congratulations Vinny.

Did you know that Buddy Marucci, the defending US Senior Amateur champion, who could not defend because he was captaining the Walker Cup at his home club, Merion, at the same time, and Vinny (a former Walker Cup captain) are about as close friends as golf could possibly, possibly drum up?

Pretty ironic really!

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:54:23 PM »
Pete,

I was following the match online and was thrilled when they posted Vinny's birdie on the 18th to win the match.  I wish I could have been there in person to see it!  The US Senior Amateur will be even more special now in 2011 when it comes to Kinloch.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 08:59:23 AM »
Intersting, and congratulations Vinny.

Did you know that Buddy Marucci, the defending US Senior Amateur champion, who could not defend because he was captaining the Walker Cup at his home club, Merion, at the same time, and Vinny (a former Walker Cup captain) are about as close friends as golf could possibly, possibly drum up?

Pretty ironic really!

Another member of that group of fine senior players is Downing Gray, three or four time Walker Cupper and Captain in 1995 and 1997 when Tiger was on the team.  He was runner up in the 1959 Amateur to Labron Harris, Jr. at Pinehurst and was low amateur several times at Augusta.  Downing used to own those guys, beat them like a drum and loved it.  Lately he has had back problems that have led to playing problems.  I don't think he's gloating too much these days.

Like I always say, getting older is not for sissies!    ;)

tlavin

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 10:32:14 PM »
An hour before the final match, Giles and Grace had breakfast with their wives in the Beverly dining room.  They chatted amiably and laughed loudly, as good friends would do.  Then they went out and grinded out an absolutely epic match.  It was a perfect ending to a perfect week, with a dizzying array of close matches.  None, however, had the drama of the finish.  Giles looked to have a couple chances to put it away, but missed several putts within ten feet.  Grace went ahead on 13, but couldn't hold the lead.  In the end, it was Vinny's length and the "wiles of Giles" that put him in position to hit the dramatic putt on the closing hole.  In more than just an historical way, it summoned memories of Francis Ouimet being congratulated by his friend, Bobby Jones when Ouimet won the National Amateur at Beverly in 1931, one year after Jones won and retired.  The scene definitely had the feeling of history repeating itself or, as Yogi Berra famously said, "deja vu all over again".

As for John Grace, he was a solid and inspiring force all week at Beverly.  What he lacked in length, he easily compensated with grit and heart of a real champion.  Unfortunately, he came up just short.

I've been through other big golf events, but I have to say that the experience of the Senior Amateur at Beverly was simply remarkable.  It was better than being involved in the US Open, for example.  Sure, you don't have the buzz of the national media.  You don't have tens of thousands of spectators.  It isn't on television.  Tiger is elsewhere.  You get the picture.  But, the camaraderie of the players, the esprit d'corps of the USGA rules folks and the easy feeling of fellowship under the cloak of competition was an amazing thing to experience.

As for Vinny, he is a fitting champion for senior amateurs, that's for sure.  He is glib, breezy and singularly unaffected by his athletic talent. He's simply a sybarite: he enjoys life and great golf is a big part of his life.  We at Beverly will always cherish his victory.  In fact, less than twenty minutes after the ball found the bottom of the hole, our Board voted Mr. Giles in as an Honorary Member.  When he comes back next summer, he can laugh at his photograph on the wall and regale us with his Southern charm and wit.

Congratulations, Marvin Giles III.  You are a good man and a true champion.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 10:39:20 PM by Terry Lavin »

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 05:48:16 PM »
He will defend next year at the course he helped develop.

If memory serves, the US Senior Amateur doesn't visit Kinloch until 2011.  I think it's being contested at Lake Nona next year.

WW

Pete Wendt

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 10:07:38 AM »
2011 at Kinloch.  Lake Nona next year.

He holds the record for longest span between National Championships.

Pete

Lester George

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 05:38:12 PM »
Chokes me up. 

My friend, my partner and one of the stabilizing and mentoring forces in my life.  Way to go Vinny!!!!  Now get back to work!!!!

Lester

Lester George

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 03:48:46 PM »

In my opinion, since Bobby Jones, Vinny Giles and Bill Campbell are the best two amateurs in the country.  Their records are unmatched, especially if you throw in State Amateurs and State Opens.

Just out of curiosity, if you had to make up an ALL AMATEUR team from 1950 to present, who would be on it?

Lester

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 03:50:49 PM »
Just out of curiosity, if you had to make up an ALL AMATEUR team from 1950 to present, who would be on it?

Lester:

Do you mean lifelong amateurs, or players who accomplished great things while amateur?  In other words, does Tiger count?

WW

Lester George

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 04:15:50 PM »

Yes, I did mean lifelong amateurs.  Thanks for clarifying.

Lester

tlavin

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 04:16:05 PM »
I think the inquiry here relates to people who have remained amateurs for most, if not all, of their careers.  Vinny Giles has won the U.S. Amateur (in 1972) and the U.S. Senior Amateur (in 2009).  He and Bill Campbell are the only two men to have done so.  Each man has a number of other significant, but lesser, victories in their amateur career.  They have to be on the short list for the best amateurs of the past fifty years.  Simply put, one cannot win these two titles, at such different ages, and not be considered an all-time great.  There are many great amateur players.  Buddy Marucci, for one, has been a top amateur for decades, but he didn't win the U.S. Amateur, though he made it into the final match.  That is a spectacular feat, but it falls short of what Campbell and Giles have accomplished.

Lester George

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 04:19:24 PM »

Terry,

He (Vinny) also won the British Amateur.  The trifecta!

Lester

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 04:31:51 PM »
Another Philly guy who did VERY well as an Am fior many years before joining the Senior Tour is Jay Sigel.

Lester asks about all-time Ams since 1950.  Harvey Ward stayed Am his entire career, didn't he?

Actually, my opinion of the best Am today based on career titles won would be Carol Semple Thompson.  7 USGA titles, 12 Curtis Cup teams, and 1 British Am title.

JMEvensky

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 04:32:05 PM »

Lester

Harvie Ward?

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 04:44:50 PM »
Didn't  Ward become a teaching pro?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Bill Gayne

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 04:55:31 PM »
From the other side of the Atlantic: Joe Carr and Sir Michael Bonallack.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 05:00:13 PM »
I think the inquiry here relates to people who have remained amateurs for most, if not all, of their careers.  Vinny Giles has won the U.S. Amateur (in 1972) and the U.S. Senior Amateur (in 2009).  He and Bill Campbell are the only two men to have done so.  Each man has a number of other significant, but lesser, victories in their amateur career.  They have to be on the short list for the best amateurs of the past fifty years.  Simply put, one cannot win these two titles, at such different ages, and not be considered an all-time great.  There are many great amateur players.  Buddy Marucci, for one, has been a top amateur for decades, but he didn't win the U.S. Amateur, though he made it into the final match.  That is a spectacular feat, but it falls short of what Campbell and Giles have accomplished.

Mr. Marucci gets a bump due to his opponent in that final (to whom no player would have lost) but still doesn't quite match Mr. Giles or Mr. Campbell.

It's too early to say, but Trip Kuehne might end up with a fine lifelong amateur record, unless he did give up competitive golf after his Masters appearance last year (as he suggested he might).  Anyone know his status?

WW

JMEvensky

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 05:14:17 PM »
Tim Jackson deserves some consideration.2 national Mid Ams,several state Ams and Mid Ams,plus other tournaments.

Phil McDade

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 05:41:34 PM »
I'll throw Wisconsin's Mark Bemowski into the pool for an all-time amateur team. Won the USGA Senior AM in '04, nearly repeated in '05 (bogeyed the last two holes to lose 1-up), made the finals in '02, and made the semi-finals this year at Beverly. He's won six Wisconsin State Amateurs and a host of Wisconsin tourneys, and he's been good for a long time -- he was the Wisconsin state high school champion in 1964. Plays out of one of my favorite unknown fun courses in these parts -- Kettle Moraine in the far western suburbs of Milwaukee.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 06:46:21 PM »
From the other side of the Atlantic: Joe Carr and Sir Michael Bonallack.

Also Gary Wolstenholme, with 2 British Ams, 3 Mid-Ams, and a bag-full of Walker Cups.  Though apparently he's going to try to go pro on the Senior Tour.

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 07:24:56 PM »
i didn't realize giles also has 3 US Am runner-up finishes.  thats almost as impressive as his one victory.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back