News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ralph Thompson

Askernish - the whole truth and nothing but the truth
« on: September 17, 2009, 03:50:25 PM »
Steve Salmen very kindly posted a blog of his visit to Askernish on th discussion board and it seems to have caused a great deal of discussion and argument about what is real , truthful and rubbish about the Askernish story.

Several of the members seem to have the idea that Askernish is a great deal of hype created by " a slick website and fast marketing techniques." Nothing could be further from the truth. The website was created by my son Rory when he was 15 years of age and he still controls / updates it between his university studies at St Andrews ( where else!) Our total marketing budget to date over the three years of the restoration project has been ZERO. Any magazine / newspaper / radio/ television articles that you have read , seen or heard have been done by independent journalists with whom we have had no influence on their script.

The simple truth is that six golf mad amateurs decided to try and restore an Old Tom Morris links course back to its original 1891 position with the help of Gordon Irvine and Martin Ebert. Over the years the assistance we have received from numerous people within the golf industry has been staggering and hard to fathom. We had absolutely no budget in mind as our total annual income back in 2006 would have been less than £5000. By selling life memberships to links golf enthusiasts and with assistance from the Gordon Stollery of Toronto and the R&A we have created what we truly believe is a masterpiece and indeed "the most natural golf course in the world." It would be very hard to beat as we have not used any  earth moving equipment at all so the landscape is completely as Old Tom would have found it - less about 60 metres of shoreline which has disappeared due to erosion. We basically followed the principles adopted in 1891 - cut fairways through the dune system - and mowed greens on appropriate sites.

We believe we have incorporated four of the original greens within the new plan. We have an ordnance survey map of 1903 which shows markings that have been unofficially identified as plateaus - 18 of them! It is really difficult to explain but even without the plan the original green sites are obvious even to the uneducated eye. The reason for the differences in the two sets of plans is that our original plan had nine holes to the north of the original course and nine on the 1891 site. During our much publicised dispute with some local crofters we decided to go for six holes to the north and twelve to the south which is far superior linksland. This incorporated our eleventh hole which has been hailed as one of the best par threes anywhere.

The "bunker" on the twelth hole is indeed a natural sandblow which as one of your members pointed out has ben created by a rabbit warren facing the prevailing wind. The fact that it is perfectly placed in front of a natural green site is gods work not mans!

I feel guilty when I read posts by Melvyn Morrow and Aidan Bradley who are trying to defend us against some pretty harsh unfounded criticism.

The only way to find out whether we are a myth or fact is to raise your backsides away from the computer screens and come and play the course as hundreds of Americans have done this year already. We are only 45 minutes on a plane away from Glasgow which is an international airport. Failing that get a few of you together and land directly at Benbecula airport ( I can organise it no problem) - expensive ? You will find out that it is worth every penny , euro or dollar.

If you have any questions etc then I will be delighted to answer them.

Ralph Thompson
Chairman
Askernish Golf Club

Bob_Huntley

Re: Askernish - the whole truth and nothing but the truth
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 04:01:03 PM »
Ralph,

Thank you for such a concise explanation of the genesis of a grand idea.

All best wishes for the future.

Bob

DMoriarty

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 04:10:10 PM »
Mr. Thompson,

Thanks for chiming in and setting the record straight.   It looks like a terrific golf experience. 

But perhaps you need to have a discussion with your rabbits and with the wind, so that they might create bunkers more to the liking of a few of the experts on this website. 

Or perhaps not.   
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Chuck Brown

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 04:13:31 PM »
Thank you very much indeed Ralph and what a delight it is to be the beneficiary of your thoughts here at GCA!

Other than a comment or two about some of the bunkers, I was scarcely aware of any 'criticism' of anything connected with the amazing restoration/creation at Askernish!  It has become my quest to someday go there.

I trust that you read, as I did the week it was published, the profile of the project authored by David Owen.  What did you think of Owen's report?

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 04:23:47 PM »
Welcome to the site, your post may be the best opening post I've seen.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 04:27:43 PM »

Ralph

First welcome to GCA.com. It is great to have you onboard.

As for your first post, again many thanks for explaining your hard work and plans over the last few years. Much of it is within your great website, which I have always found open and honest, all one has to do is read it.

It is my humble opinion that all golf course architects should make a trip to Askernish to see what you and your team have done, not just for the course but also for golf course architecture. It proves that with the right mindset all things are just about achievable, noting that you have done the impossible by producing a golf course on a non existing budget. That is why I feel those involved in course design should visit Askernish.

Again, welcome and thanks for your interesting post.

Melvyn 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 04:47:41 PM »
Welcome, Ralph.  Making trouble already are you?   ;)

Thanks for the clarification.  The project sounds like something any one of us would have been delighted to be a part of.  I hope I get a chance to visit one day.  Your son did a great job on the website.  Many other courses could learn from it.  All you need, nothing you don't.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 04:47:47 PM »
Ralph,

Welcome aboard indeed and congratulations to you and your associates for all the great work at Askernish. While I would likely fall in love with Askernish at first sight, I sadly must confess to being the antagonist with respect to the natural bunker at the 12th and appreciate you setting me straight.  The fact that I was wrong is not unprecedented.  

To further my education, please post a close-up of that bunker so we can all see what great work God and His rabbits are capable of.

Kindest regards,

Mike Hendren
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 04:50:11 PM »
Welcome Ralph,

29 of us are gathering next week at Deal and Sandwich to play for the Buda Cup. On the 2 days at Deal we will see some of Gordon's work and see him in action on the new tees.

I hope in the next year or two someone will rise to the challenge and organise an Askernish Buda! I'm sure you'll be willing to advise on logistics.

Mark
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 05:00:50 PM »
Best opening post since Pat Ruddy's ;D

jkinney

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 05:05:55 PM »
Welcome to GCA, Ralph. Thank you for your clarification of Askernish's restoration and for spearheading all the work.
Jeremy Kinney

Jason McNamara

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 05:09:37 PM »
Thanks Ralph, I'd been wondering how many of the original green sites you'd employed.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 05:10:48 PM »
I was lucky enough to be invited by Martin Ebert to go to South Uist for the fateful days in March 2006 when the plan for the recreation of Askernish was drawn up. It was snowing at Glasgow Airport when we boarded the small Saab plane that would take us to Benbecula, but the clouds cleared as we flew north, and I was able to see the Cuilliin Ridge as we crossed Skye. The plane crossed the Minch to the outer islands, and, as we descended across Uist and Benbecula, the drama of the landscape was clear even from several thousand feet.

A big bear of a Scotsman met us at the airport. Ralph drove us across the causeway to South Uist and we stopped briefly at the shrine of Our Lady of the Isles (South Uist is fervently Catholic, unlike North Uist, which is Presbyterian). A short while later, we turned off the island's only main road, and drove past Askernish House, the former home of Lady Cathcart, the island's nineteenth century proprietor, and out onto the links, or the machair, as it's known in these parts.

It felt like the end of the world. A small golf green (the old ninth), crudely built and surrounded by barbed wire, greeted us. There was little in the way of feature, and the ocean was not in view. Ralph drove us across the machair, up and up, and eventually came to a stop. We jumped out of the car, only to be hit by an icy blast coming from the west. We fought our way up to the top of the primary dune, where the wind was whistling, but the view was infinite. To the south-west the mountains of Barra rose into the blue sky. To the west, only water as far as Newfoundland. And to the south, the most perfect range of dunes one could ever wish to see.

The existing nine hole course occupied the relatively flat ground to the north: the first six holes of the revived course use this land. This is the area that was used as an airport during the 1930s. But close to where we were parked is the tee of the course's seventh hole. A few months later, in a similarly remote spot on the edge of the Atlantic, Steve Smyers told me that every piece of property has a focal point: this is Askernish's.

I can't, honestly, tell whether Askernish willl ever be regarded as one of the world's greatest courses. I can't tell whether it will transform the economy of South Uist, which, like the rest of the Hebrides, has been massively impacted by emigration and clearance. But of one thing I'm sure: I'll never, ever feel more connected to the roots of golf than I did on those two days.

Two years later, in March 2008, I returned to Uist. Golf architects Forrest Richardson and James Edwards were with me; another, Clyde Johnston, had been prevented from coming by flight delays. We spent two days on the island, and, in attempting to play the course, got colder and wetter than I have ever been in my life.

I used to think that golf's soul resided at Machrihanish. Now, I know I'm wrong. It lives at Askernish.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ralph Thompson

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 05:15:31 PM »
David Owens report was excellent due to the fact that he took the time to interview everybody concerned ( for and against) and wrote a very balanced article. He is an author and a journalist however and therefore his script was more of the "story" as opposed to the course work.

I will post a close up photo of "Gods Bunker" at the weekend. If Aidan Bradley would do the decent thing and come and repay all my kindness then you might even get a decent picture!

I should have mentioned the two bunkers on the 8th hole ( my favourite) There were two deep swales on the east entrance to the green and we simply filled them with sand.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 05:17:28 PM »
Ralph is dead right about the eighth. I've got a wonderful photo somewhere of Martin Ebert standing in one of those hollows. If they weren't bunkers many years ago, I'm a Dutchman.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 05:19:31 PM »
Ralph,
Askernish looks like a wonderful place and over time I think you will be very successful in attracting avid players of the game.

I'd ask you this, Melvyn Morrow asked himself these questions and then answered them on the other thread. What's correct and what isn't:

Was a course built at Askernish in 1891 by OTM – YES
I have no doubt that this is true
Is the site of that course known in 2009  - YES -
Is this true, or is much of what's known conjecture, a 'best guess'
Is the current course been built on the site of the original using as much as can be found of the original fairways and Greens – Yes
Again, how much is true, how much is conjecture?
How much of the old course has been reused – I can’t answer that until a map is found.
It has to follow that this statement is true, but could you give an estimate of this?

Thanks Ralph and keep up the good work at Askernish
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 05:22:45 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 05:30:24 PM »
Ralph, welcome aboard. Firstly I think everyone wishes you well and the Askernish project is charming. The point made by some was....Is this restoration the Tom Morris course or not? Clearly from what you say it is not. Using only 4 greens and deciding to use other aspects of the nearby landscape denys that. I don't see why you can't add more bunkers in time, make flat tees etc, the charm will be in making it look 1890s but taking into account how courses from 1890 have changed to 2009. You of course dont have much of a budget to work with but with your volunteers I am sure you can make it work. Best of luck I am looking forward to the next round of pics.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 05:44:01 PM »

Is the restoration complete?

Anthony

Chuck Brown

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 06:07:13 PM »
David Owens report was excellent due to the fact that he took the time to interview everybody concerned ( for and against) and wrote a very balanced article. He is an author and a journalist however and therefore his script was more of the "story" as opposed to the course work.

I will post a close up photo of "Gods Bunker" at the weekend. If Aidan Bradley would do the decent thing and come and repay all my kindness then you might even get a decent picture!

I should have mentioned the two bunkers on the 8th hole ( my favourite) There were two deep swales on the east entrance to the green and we simply filled them with sand.
Thank you very much Ralph.  I should note, for those who have not seen it, the David Owen story was published a few months ago in The New Yorker.  (Ralph is absolutely correct that the story was aimed at a general audience, and not intended to cater to golf architecture cognoscenti.  It's just lovely writing, and a nicely-told story.)  I have a hard-copy; it would probably be of service to everyone to post it in .pdf form, but (a) I have no idea how to do that and (b) I have no idea if it would be a copyright violation to do so, as the story can also be found on the subscriber-required section of the New Yorker's website.  (Edit -- there is a brief slide-show, with Owen narrating, at the New Yorker's website, that is not protected.  It goes for maybe two minutes; I wish it had gone on for two hours...)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 06:16:59 PM by Chuck Brown »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 10:59:27 PM »
Ralph
I noticed Horace Hutchinson is mentioned on your website. What is his connection to Askernish?

Rob Rigg

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 02:16:10 AM »
Ralph,

I saw your MacKenzie Walker in the shop a while back and thought about how perfectly it would fit in with the spirit of Askernish - based on what people have posted it is probably the most pure walking experience that a golfer could ever have - I look fwd to visiting one of these days.

All the best for success and continued patronage, especially by the yanks who want to escape a hot and humid summer full of cart golf.

Pics are always welcome!

James Boon

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 03:38:14 AM »
Ralph,

Welcome aboard and great first post!

Though your marketing budget may officially be zero, with all the work Melvyn has been doing on here you must have spent a fortune keeping this man in single malt or whatever his poison may be?  ;D

If you have a chance then it would be great to see some more photos. Hopefully when I'm up there in a several weeks time I'll be able to take a few of my own to post here. Fingers crossed for good weather and I look forward to meeting you in person!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Brian Phillips

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 04:27:42 AM »
Ralph, Adam and Melvyn,

I really appreciate your posts and the effort that you are all making with this golf course.

Ralph,

Please congratulate your son on the website which is wonderfully classy and perfectly subtle for the type of golf you are providing.

To all three of you again,

I like Adrian Stiff do not believe this can be classed as a restoration of an Old Tom Morris golf course.  If 4 old greens are the criteria for calling a project a restoration then there are many courses that have been restored throughout the world that many at the moment would call a redesign.

The course is wonderful but it is IMHO in no way a restoration of any sorts and really it is a brand new golf course designed with the principles of Old Tom Morris using 4 greens from OTM, which is absolutely fantastic!

I do agree to some degree with Adrian about some more bunkering and tees but I would keep it as rustic as possible.  There has to be a fine balance between getting customers to come up and ruining what is a very natural golf course. In the end though 'cash is king' and the voluntary work needed from your community is going to be paramount in helping the course survive especially when the PR of the course dies down.  This is something Adam can help with though.

I think the more you engage Martin Ebert and Adam Lawrence the better. Both of these two are more than qualified to advise you now and on a long term basis.

Good Luck and I will make a visit in the near future.

Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Ralph Thompson

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 08:48:30 AM »
Jim, Brian, Adrian

The original course was certainly laid out by OTM in 1891. The exact site , but not the layout, is well known as I have spoken to several elderly gentlemen over the years who worked as caddies for the Estate in their youth. None of them were golfers so their recollections of the holes is sketchy to say the least ( apart from the hole mentioned below) and most of the memories are long forgotten.

Twelve holes of the current course are laid out over the original site. Every bit of available land that could have been used as fairways has been incorporated back into the new layout so therefore we can definitely say that all the original fairways and at least four greens have restored to golf useage.

One of the old guys remembered one particular spectacular hole which we have adapted to suit the new plan and we have kept the original name - Balaclava. This would also make sense as a high majority of the players 100 years ago would have had some form of military background. I am presuming you all know the history of Balaclava!

Taking into account the land lost due to erosion and the previous boundaries which we know then I would confidently state that all the existing land of the old course has been utilised.

Anthony,

We currently have a fantastic eighteen hole course but it is very much still " work in progress."

Tom,

Horatio Hutchison accompanied Old Tom on his trip to Uist and then carried on to Stornoway to inspect the recenly opened course there.(1890) That course is now unfortunately Stornoway Airport.

I have put a link below to a history of Askernish project I am working on which will answer a lot of your queries. It contains a lot of old documents  ( thanks to Melvyn) etc etc and may be of interest to the historians among you.

http://www.askernishgolfclub.com/files/secret/askernish%20old%202003.ppt

Brian Phillips

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 09:07:58 AM »
Ralph,

Thanks for this. 

You have to get those photos from the ppt file onto the website!!  Unbelievable, the photos we have seen so far do not do it justice.  Get these ones on your website and on this thread.

I don't know what to call it anymore as it is not really a restoration although it is in a way.  Some would say that Kingsbarns could be classed as a restoration as the course was built on the same area as the old course, however the whole landscape was altered when Kingsbarns was built, yours was not.

You have to get those photographs on your website, it makes such a difference to the image you are portraying at present.

Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back