News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ed_getka

Re: GCA version of "Fifty Places to Play Golf before you Die"
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 03:58:50 AM »
Fishers Island. A host of stunning golf holes in a setting that is beyond comparison.

Good call on Royal Dornoch Mark. Sand Hills is my favorite, but RD is the best course I have played in my travels thus far.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 05:19:36 AM »
Sean,

"50 places you have never heard of and still won't go to no matter how highly we recommend them", perhaps?

Silloth should be on this list, BTW, as should Elie.

Mark, you beat me to it.  Silloth was the first place I thought of when I started reading this thread.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Phil McDade

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 09:20:26 AM »
The Balcomie links at Crail.

It's the 7th-oldest golf club in the world, sitting in the cradle of golf -- the Kingdom of Fife. It sits right next to the sea, and on my one visit there, played as the links-iest course I encountered (more so than Machrihanish, which is saying something...). It has a wonderful variety of holes, several of them bordering on quirky, and perhaps ones you wouldn't design today. It features a welcoming and comfortable clubhouse, and was designed by one of the most famous golfers in the game's history -- Old Tom Morris.

Yes, it's much too short by today's standard - 5,861 yards, par 69. But that's a reason to put it on a list like this. I'd argue Crail stays truer to its origins than many of the big-name courses that attract the attention of golfers -- Carounstie, Muirfield, Troon. It's rare to play a course like this little changed from its origins more than 100 years ago.

Jfaspen

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 10:04:46 AM »
A very very high ranking on my list is Mid-Ocean.  Thanks in part to Mr. Huntley describing his experiences there in previous threads.

mark chalfant

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 10:47:59 AM »
Royal Dornoch

Pasatiempo

Harrison Hills  (Langford)

Camargo

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009, 10:48:45 AM »
The Balcomie links at Crail.

Phil don't get me wrong I loved it, but I thought the turf this summer was far from links like. When did you play?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Phil McDade

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2009, 11:00:11 AM »
Tony:

Ten years ago, in July, during what was viewed as a somewhat dry Scottish summer. The turf at Crail was absolutely crisp -- to this day, I remember taking out a 7-iron on one approach shot, changed to an 8-iron, chose a target 30 yards short of a green with a back pin, and hit my shot within 10 feet of the hole. I never once used anything but a putter from 20 yards or less off the green. It was an absolute joy to play.

Your picture does look much more lush than when I played; different course conditioning, or just a wet stretch of weather?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2009, 11:05:36 AM »
Tony:

Ten years ago, in July, during what was viewed as a somewhat dry Scottish summer. The turf at Crail was absolutely crisp -- to this day, I remember taking out a 7-iron on one approach shot, changed to an 8-iron, chose a target 30 yards short of a green with a back pin, and hit my shot within 10 feet of the hole. I never once used anything but a putter from 20 yards or less off the green. It was an absolute joy to play.

Your picture does look much more lush than when I played; different course conditioning, or just a wet stretch of weather?
Phil,

A bit of both.  We've had a string of wet summers, which really haven't helped.  I don't think the way the course is maintained helps, though.  They do seem to want to keep it green (for the benefit of North American visitors, I'm afraid) and I think it gets more water and fertiliser than befits a true links.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2009, 11:10:36 AM »
Rock Creek Cattle Company.
Mr Hurricane

Phil McDade

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2009, 11:20:38 AM »
Mark:

I just took out my (pre-digital) pictures of my trip to Scotland, and Crail looks considerably drier than depicted in Tony's picture. I may have caught it on a great day or great stretch -- it was about 70 degrees that day, with a light, cool wind off the sea, not heavy -- just ideal conditions for links golf.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 12:23:58 PM by Phil McDade »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2009, 11:37:21 AM »
Thanks Phil, I suspect Mark is right. Even down by the sea there are broad leafed grasses on the fairways. Playing wise you didn’t fell like trying to run one in from a long way out.  In the next 24hrs from the photo there were biblical rains and yet the course stayed playable. No puddles. Sadly something not quite right with the maintenance meld.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Shawn Arlia

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009, 11:50:26 AM »
Greywalls in Marquette Michigan. There are so many different strategies to play to the different hole locations. The greens are engaging. And the scenery is incredible.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2009, 11:56:10 AM »
Eagle Point, Medford, Oregon. Pure beauty and a demonstration of what Bobby Jones Jr. can do when he really puts his mind to something.

??? An overwatered course in a real estate development with some longish green to tee walks. Like that hasn't been seen before. ???
Gib, you need to get out more.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Phil McDade

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2009, 12:27:04 PM »
Thanks Phil, I suspect Mark is right. Even down by the sea there are broad leafed grasses on the fairways. Playing wise you didn’t fell like trying to run one in from a long way out.  In the next 24hrs from the photo there were biblical rains and yet the course stayed playable. No puddles. Sadly something not quite right with the maintenance meld.

Tony:

I wonder if the club is over-stretched with two courses? When I was there, the Craighead course was very new and not getting a lot of play. The Balcomie course struck me as ideal turf for a links course -- I played it the day after walking Carnoustie (the year it hosted its ill-fated Open), and thought the turf at Crail was much more conducive to traditional fast-and-firm links golf.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2009, 12:39:06 PM »
I will say Girvan for starters.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2009, 12:40:47 PM »
Phil,

I don't think it's that.  I'm a member at Crail and would go so far as to say that the Craighead, despite not being a links at all, may even have the better, more resilient turf currently.  I think the problem on the Balcomie is too much attention, rather than too little.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2009, 01:22:41 PM »
Lake Chabot in the Oakland Hills, shaky conditions but the view from the back nine is spectacular, on a clear day you can see the whole San Francisco Bay including both the Bay and Golden Gate bridges. Also the elevation changes are really fun, great elevated tee shots including a 100 ft drop, 150 yd par 3 and 670 yd par 6 all downhill 18th. Bag tag has a mountain goat on it.

Sandpiper near Santa Barbara, great ocean views and some very good ocean holes, 10, 11 and 13 are in my opinion some of the best ocean holes in California.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2009, 05:31:28 PM »
Bayley Garland,

The last time I was at Eagle Point, the fairways were running like a scolded cat and the environment was serene, pastoral and mostly free of houses. I was about to decapitate you, thinking that you must be confusing Eagle Point with Cedar Links, until I looked at a Google aerial. I want to weep at what I saw . . . . a crowded housing project with the requisite cutesy street names like "St. Andrews Way" and "Bellerive Drive."

The layout itself - however - I found exceptional when I first played it. If you do not like the green to tee walk up the hill on #15, think about the snow covered Angels Wings in the distance framing the tee shot. As a matter of fact, if you erase the houses and wetness, I believe nearly every contributor here in the Treehouse would give the golf course very high marks.

That stated, I'm sad to say that when I counted just how long it has been since my last visit . . . . well, I ran out of fingers and thumbs. Maybe you are right, I need to get out more these days.

Thus, let me respectfully retract my selection of Eagle Point. I've got to think what to put in its place. Fishers Island and Friar's Head are too obvious and Mid Ocean has already been chosen. There was a time when I got out more than you can possibly imagine.

Let's get really unusual: Off the 18th at Pebble to the Tap Room for a cold beer, followed by a stiff traveler and straight to the 1st tee of Peter Hay with my best friend. That has got to rate as one of the 50 best golf experiences of my adult life.

As a child I went round and round and round Peter Hay every Labor Day weekend with my corfam shoes, Faultless golf balls and aluminum shafted blades. I still use the same Orlimar Gyro putter. 39 years later . . . . .            
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:10:45 PM by Gib Papazian »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2009, 05:47:59 PM »
The layout itself - however - I found exceptional when I first played it. If you do not like the green to tee walk up the hill on #15, think about the snow covered Angels Wings in the distance framing the tee shot. As a matter of fact, if you erase the houses and wetness, I believe nearly every contributor here in the Treehouse would give the golf course very high marks.

That would be 16, not 15. The great fun about that walk is that if you are playing with locals in a cart they head into the trees and disappear along the cart path. As you walk afterwards, you find a fork in the cart path. Since the course has had no significant elevation change you choose the level path instead of the one heading steeply up hill. After walking to the end of the pavement, you must conclude you took the wrong path and double back and make the steep climb.

There is some nice scenery there, but then playing in the mountain west all my life, it doesn't stand out. #10 and #16 are stand out holes. But they put so much water out, they now have to use a fan to dry 10. The conditioning of 16 is entirely different than the rest of the course. It's like they can't get the water up the hill. It was the only firm section of the course, at least until it dropped down to the rest of the course level at the green.

I'm afraid that as Bogey can tell you, the bunker fetishists here will grade the course down for its uniform bath tub style bunkers.

Double Bogey
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Don Hyslop

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2009, 08:03:45 PM »
The Links at Crowbush Cove, Prince Edward Island

Check out the images of this Thomas McBroom course:
http://www.golfpei.ca/courses/crowbush/gallery
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:05:45 PM by Don Hyslop »
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2009, 08:51:24 PM »
I'd like to experience more Stanley Thompson, get to Sand Hills, and caddy at Pine Valley.

Why caddy?  I've walked PV 3 times, and I have nothing but perfect imaginary shots in my memory.  Don't want to mess with perfection :)

jonathan_becker

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2009, 09:07:44 PM »
I nominate the Dunes Club in New Buffalo.  I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love the place.  Maybe the best 9 hole course anywhere and I love the fact that they don't even have an entrance sign (at least not when i was there).  No range, no tee markers, the pro shop is a closet, and the head pro is also the cook.   It's the most low-key place I've ever golfed

J_ Crisham

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2009, 09:14:35 PM »
Lancaster CC in Pennsylvania-why this course isn't in everyone's top 100 is a mystery to me. If this club were in Philly it would be in the top 3. Arguably better than some of the usual suspects we are always hearing about. Having played the Glen Club, I think it is a joke that Josh Lesnik,who knows good golf,ie Bandon, would suggest that someone play this course before they die. I can think of at least 20 courses in Chicago I would play before the Glen Club. When in Eastern Penn, think Lancaster!        Jack

jonathan_becker

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2009, 09:41:27 PM »
I can think of at least 20 courses in Chicago I would play before the Glen Club.

I just told someone the same thing today.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2009, 09:49:18 PM »
Clear Creek Tahoe.

El Capitan,

Don't tell me you got up there and didn't ping me.  Say it ain't so...

Lieutenant

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back