News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

GCA version of "Fifty Places to Play Golf before you Die"
« on: September 16, 2009, 08:35:45 PM »
as you might be aware, the 2nd book of this type ("Firty More Places...") was recently released.

What course would you nominate for such a book if asked?

might i suggest that we each try and nominate a new course, instead of everyone saying, say, Cypress Point....

another suggestion:  nominate a course that might not easily come to mind, in order to again avoid everyone naming the usual suspects

I'll start by bring up a course that was mentioned in a thread yesterday:  Kirtland CC near Cleveland...a Colt/ALsion that has been restored and that could easily be a top 100 course imho...a great piece of property with some significant elevation change
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Garland Bayley

Re: GCA version of "Fifty Places to Play Golf before you Die"
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 09:13:55 PM »
Astoria CC
Something you won't see anywhere else.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:24:11 PM »
in the latest version someone nominated The Glen CLub in Chicago, which is a bit of a head scratcher to me...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 09:29:59 PM »

North Berwick because of the most copied concept hole the Redan. Prestwick because of history. Cruden Bay because each hole is unique.

Anthony

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 09:35:11 PM »
Carne, remote golf club where you can get away from all of your worries other than how to get the ball into the hole.  Like Kirtland the final 11 holes in my opinion is where this course really shines.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 09:54:16 PM »
Eastward Ho!

Ash Towe

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 10:09:32 PM »
From my part of the world it has to be Cape Kidnappers.  The scenary is simply amazing.  However I think the quality of the holes particularly on the front nine is overlooked because of the setting.

The less obvious would be Paraparaumu.  They were working on the greens in recent times but have not played there since the changes were started.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 10:24:30 PM »
Here:

I kid you not.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Gene Greco

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 11:11:21 PM »
Mountain Lake
Lake Wales, Florida   
Seth Raynor 1916

Play, stay in the historic Colony House and relish the graceful atmosphere and a time and place which this crazy world has has long since passed.

There is nothing like it.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Chris Flamion

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 11:24:02 PM »
Mike-

There is no greater guilty pleasure than the trip to the junky golf course that you play to hit stupid shots and have fun.

Whoever nominated the Glen Club needs to be extradited.

Mark Arata

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 11:28:58 PM »
Royal Dornoch......i never in my life thought that I would love a course more than Cypress or Pacific Dunes, but I do now.......just totally and completely spectacular in every way.

New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

DMoriarty

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 11:57:25 PM »
Royal Dornoch......i never in my life thought that I would love a course more than Cypress or Pacific Dunes, but I do now.......just totally and completely spectacular in every way.

Oh shut the hell up, Caboc.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 12:55:45 AM »
Clear Creek Tahoe.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 01:04:38 AM »
Woking.
 So many interesting greens, great strategies, perfect turf and a beautiful place to play golf.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 02:39:32 AM »
Chechessee Creek . . . . . The most elegant architectural expression imaginable.

Eagle Point, Medford, Oregon. Pure beauty and a demonstration of what Bobby Jones Jr. can do when he really puts his mind to something.

Stevinson Ranch: Because I love it to the point of irrationality and don't care what anybody else thinks.

Saddle Creek on a Tuesday in the Fall: Because just being there alone is an inspiring exercise in recalibrating your Chi' . . . . .

Pasadera CC: Because you would never otherwise believe anybody would be stupid enough to build a golf course in a place where even Argali Sheep dare not tread. Excellent clubhouse however . . . .

Sheep Ranch: Overchoice in every direction. The route to wherever forever . . . . . watch the concept of time and par evaporate with the whiskey in your flask.

"There is a beginning, a middle and an end. Just not necessarily in that order."
-Jean Luc Goddard.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:43:26 AM by Gib Papazian »

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 02:59:21 AM »
Well, the pro from OZ took my Woking nomination so I have to fall back on St Enodoc. One look at the pix and you won't need to ask why.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 03:04:43 AM »
Sean missed it, so I'll say it, for an experience almost like no other and for golf as it really should be:  Kington.

Also, for its beauty, Bamburgh Castle.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 03:12:10 AM »
The Addington. That place offers up so many holes that are one of a kind, some beautiful spots, scintillating par threes and a really welcoming, comfortable house.

And NSWGC. Sentimental choice, and I am sure there are better oceanside courses, but the walk over the crest on the 5th never fails to take your breath away.

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 03:15:53 AM »
Sean missed it, so I'll say it, for an experience almost like no other and for golf as it really should be:  Kington.

Mark

I nearly said Kington, but I don't think the qualities of the course are obvious enough for an exercise like this. Heck, its hard to get wing nuts living fairly close by to visit the place!

Ciao  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 03:26:29 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

James Boon

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 03:24:43 AM »
I'm going to suggest Brancaster aka Royal West Norfolk.

An access road where you need to check to make sure its low tide.
A great clubhouse, virtually on the beach, full of history and atmosphere.
Royal members a plenty but the least stuffy club ever.
Bring your 4 legged friend for a walk while you are at it.
Shared fairways, railway sleepers in bunkers, great holes galore.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 03:37:17 AM »
Sean missed it, so I'll say it, for an experience almost like no other and for golf as it really should be:  Kington.

Mark

I nearly said Kington, but I don't think the qualities of the course are obvious enough for an exercise like this. Heck, its hard to get wing nuts living fairly close by to visit the place!

Ciao  
Sean,

Isn't this sort of exercise (as against any sort of Top 50/100 type exercise) exactly the sort of thing where Kington should get a mention?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Emil Weber

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 03:41:25 AM »
Scott,

I recently had the chance of playing NSW and thought it is exceptionally fantastic, I loved it. Do you think there are THAT much better oceanside courses (except for the obvious ones like CP of PB)?

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 03:45:36 AM »

Mark

Ciao  
Sean,

Isn't this sort of exercise (as against any sort of Top 50/100 type exercise) exactly the sort of thing where Kington should get a mention?

Mark

Maybe you are right, but I was thinking in terms of a book with only 50 courses profiled.  Maybe the book should be titled "50 Places You Never Heard of...."

Ciao

Mark Pearce

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 03:51:44 AM »
Sean,

"50 places you have never heard of and still won't go to no matter how highly we recommend them", perhaps?

Silloth should be on this list, BTW, as should Elie.

Scott Warren

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 03:54:50 AM »
Scott,

I recently had the chance of playing NSW and thought it is exceptionally fantastic, I loved it. Do you think there are THAT much better oceanside courses (except for the obvious ones like CP of PB)?

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Emil.

I haven't played enough oceanside courses out of the NSW/CPC/Pebble mold to comment, but obviously CPC and Pebble and Pacific Dunes all rate higher, and you'd probably find support from some quarters that Ocean at Kiawah, Spyglass and Cabo del Sol are better. I've not played them, so I couldn't say, but they'd be a hell of a course to be better than NSW!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back