News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Buck Wolter

Cleveland/Akron
« on: September 15, 2009, 11:28:39 PM »
I have a last-minute trip to Cleveland and Akron area and probably have time for golf Thursday afternoon. Anything that I should skip the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for?
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Phil McDade

Re: Cleveland/Akron
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:37:57 PM »
Buck:

If you have access, Canterbury and the very under-rated Kirtland are both worth a look. I'm reluctant to suggest the Flynn-designed The Country Club in Pepper Pike, as that requires access of the sort I'm not familiar with. ;) Down near the Akron-Canton area, the Ross-designed Brookside (private) near Canton has a very good reputation, although I haven't played it.

On the public side, Stanley Thompson's Sleepy Hollow is certainly worth a turn. Ross' Manakiki might also be worth a look as well.

Here's a pretty good run-down of Cleveland-area options, with some fairly objective views:

http://www.golfclevelandohio.com/G2003-main.htm

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 11:54:50 PM »
Buck:

If you have access, Canterbury and the very under-rated Kirtland are both worth a look.Down near the Akron-Canton area, the Ross-designed Brookside (private) near Canton

cant go wrong with any of the above...Kirtland is a real sleeper and top 100 worthy
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

jonathan_becker

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 08:50:51 AM »
I've recently played Canterbury and Canton Brookside.  Both are fantastic golf courses.  This summer, Canterbury has had the best fws I've ever seen (no divots and the tightest turf anywhere).  Brookside has the best green complexes in NE Ohio and are truly world-class. But, both are private.  If you are a member of a private club, a phone call might work.  But, it's not probable.

On the public side, The Quarry in Canton is a lot of fun.  Fowler's Mill (Pete Dye) on the east side of cleveland is another option as well.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 07:53:55 PM »
Go see Pete Dye's Fowler's Mill.  It's terrific and really reasonably priced.

I HATED Quail Hollow and Firestone farms was OK...Fowler's was head and shoulders above both.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 09:47:03 PM »
Congress Lake is a largely untouched Ross course (originally designed by Park), in the Akron area.  Although the longer hitters may think it is a bit short there is plenty there for the other 95%.  A solid routing over some nicely rolling land that is adjacent to a large lake which does not come into play on the course.  I played it on a very rainy day when everything in Cleaveland was closed but it looked like the tee shots would be great fun if the fairways are running fast, lots of slopes to get the ball moving on the ground.

Seemed like a big money place that likes to fly under the radar, everything was first-class including the mini-marina for bass boats.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 10:30:38 PM »
Thanks for the ideas -- my trip has been postponed so hopefully I make it back before it gets too cold.

I looked at Ran's Kirtland review after Phil recommended it looks fantastic as does Canterbury.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tom MacWood

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 11:11:59 PM »
Congress Lake is an interesting course. I think Firestone-North is under appreciated too. It is a very bold design. Kirtland and Mayfield are my two favorites in Cleveland. Cleveland has more top shelf courses than any city in Ohio. That being said if you haven't been to the RRHF I'd recommend that first.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 01:13:01 PM »
Erased....didnt see that he postponed his trip.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:14:50 PM by jonathan becker »

jonathan_becker

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 01:23:42 PM »
Congress Lake is an interesting course. I think Firestone-North is under appreciated too. It is a very bold design. Kirtland and Mayfield are my two favorites in Cleveland. Cleveland has more top shelf courses than any city in Ohio. That being said if you haven't been to the RRHF I'd recommend that first.

Tom,

I think that Firestone-North is the best course of the three.  I have throughly enjoy my rounds there.  I like the variety that the course offers....water holes, inland holes, parkland holes, elevation changes, forced carries, runup approaches, reachable par 5s.  Your entire bag is tested.  The South is great as well, but 460 yd par 4s everywhere that are completely tree-lined gets old. 

Mike,

I've been to Congress a few times and you're dead on with your description.  My dad loves that place.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back