News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

New course opened: Hamilton Island GC, Qld, Australia
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:35:53 PM »
http://www.hamiltonislandgolfclub.com.au/Pages/default.aspx

This is Peter "5 Times" Thompson's new course, built on Dent Island, next to the popular tourist resort island Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays  - a collection of islands off the coast of far north Queensland.

Apparently it opened for play in August, but I'd not heard anything until today.

About 6700yds (6100m), par 71.

Any GCAers played it, or heard anything on the grapevine from those who have?

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 12:46:13 PM by Scott Warren »

jonathan_becker

Re: New course opened: Hamilton Island GC, Qld, Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 04:29:49 PM »
I just went to the website and it looks pretty cool.  Hadn't heard anything about it until this thread was posted.  #16 looks sweet.

David_Elvins

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:22:38 PM »
Just had a look at the hole by holes.  What is their obsession with front right green side bunkers? 

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Justin Ryan

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 08:11:02 AM »
What is their obsession with front right green side bunkers? 
And matching right side fairway bunkers!

Mark_F

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 09:04:04 PM »
What is their obsession with front right green side bunkers? 

The land dictates it.

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 05:30:24 AM »
Scott

I know half a dozen friends who have played there. All the talk amongst those staying at hamilton after playing there is about golf balls lost. The average is about 8 per round.

A good mate off 6 lhandicap ost 14 in his first round!

They all enjoyed the course, the layout is still quite young and needs time, rough is overgrown and with the countours anything off line is gone.

The course is about 10 minutes by ferry from the main resort and they plan to build townhouses / units on the rest of the island.

Andrew

Dieter Jones

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 08:59:29 AM »
The Whitsunday Islands are one beautiful part of the world - but the dominating feature in most of those photo's is cart path
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 09:31:07 AM »
I've also spent a fair bit of time in Australia and specifically live not too far away from the WhitSundays.

Its really is a gorgeous setting and hopefully the course is an additive to the area...

David Kelly

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 01:03:02 PM »
I know half a dozen friends who have played there. All the talk amongst those staying at hamilton after playing there is about golf balls lost. The average is about 8 per round.

A good mate off 6 lhandicap ost 14 in his first round!

They all enjoyed the course, the layout is still quite young and needs time, rough is overgrown and with the countours anything off line is gone.

So despite losing a ton of golf balls they ALL enjoyed the course? Even the 6 handicapper who took a minimum of 28 extra strokes because of lost balls? That seems a little strange.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back