News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: Caddies - Why do you like 'em? Why don't you?
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 08:11:16 AM »

As a traveling golfer and usually playing as a single the caddy has always been great company. I have met many fine people that are caddies. My father-in-law was a former caddy at Casa e Campo and if you could see how theses people live I'm sure you would have no problem taking a caddy. Donny Miller at Pinehurst is as good of a humane being that you will ever find. He is a secound generation caddy and proud father and granfather. My caddy the first time I played Teeh of the Dog was insrumental in me meeting my wife. The Phantom at PB was as much fun as the course. My caddy at TOC on my first trip in 1999 has visited me here in the US with his family and our families have become very close. The caddy offers a nice buffer when you get paired with unpleasant golfers.

Anthony

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 08:13:56 AM »
I've never played a round of golf with a caddy. What am I missing? My dream destination is Bandon. Should I take a caddy?

Adam

You and me both.

I've played extenively throughout Australia and have never had one - can't for the life of me think of a course where they are the norm "down under". Understand the practice is  bit more frequent in GB&I but have never felt the need to have one.

That said - with my US trip coming up at many of the courses I will be seeing - it seems to be quite the norm. As it's par for the course then so be it - I'm sure it will take some getting used to though ?

I'm very intrigued as to the responses here from those that have the experience with them. Ideal timing with the thread - Cheers.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009, 08:37:35 AM »
Caddies are a great idea for the first time on TOC, but I do not use them preferring to fend for myself and slowly learn the nature of a new untried course. The challenge of the unknown, is my enjoyment of a new course.

Some may be interested in the link to The Home of GolfTV short interview with Caddie John Boyne at the Road Hole TOC

http://www.homeofgolf.tv/2009/07/07/the-road-hole-at-st-andrews-with-caddy-john-boyne-episode-9/

I look at it with eyes wide open, it’s my game, my round, my ability and skill that are being tested, why would I need some addition help either in the form of a Caddie, distance markers/books or electronic aids with or without a cart attachment.

After all, I'm there just to play golf.

Melvyn
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 08:57:50 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009, 08:48:27 AM »

One other thing. Caddies can give you the history of the course. At Prestwick they show you the orignal 12 holes of the first Open. At Pinehurst the green where Daly had his blow up and Donald Ross's house. At the National the caddy was a former club pro and a golf historian. At Bandon Trails the caddy had caddied for Ben Crenshaw and offered some of Ben's architecture ideas. Again great company. I had a caddy at The Honors that told a hilarious story about caddying for Barbara Bush.

Anthony

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2009, 09:20:05 AM »
I use a caddy when the benefit of not carrying my bag out-weighs the expense.
Or if you want to use them as target practice - Ask Ran about the latter.... 

At Bandon I had caddies and used trollies - 6 rounds is a large expense.

Walking a course without a bag is great.

I've had great caddies and not-great caddies.
A caddy is a good as you make them - you're the boss.
Don't have expectations - if you want them quiet tell them - if you want every number tell them.

When I do get a caddy I usually tell them no advice.

Have fun at Bandon - with or without a caddy.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jason Topp

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2009, 09:46:29 AM »
I enjoy using caddies.  I don't enjoy the added expense.

Doug Spets

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2009, 11:06:43 AM »
pardon me, mr gooddale.  i'm off to get a life.

rjsimper

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 11:13:47 AM »
I like caddies because I love to walk, but dislike carrying my bag.

I do not like caddies for "the experience" - as stated in another thread - I could not care less about the fist-taps and the verbal encouragement one gets from, for example, the overly-jovial Bandon caddie.  I understand that some people love that, it's just not for me.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 11:18:18 AM »
I try to play a different course every week, on Monday afternoon when they are closed. As a superintendent I am able to make that arrangement with my peers. I always bring one of my sons with me as a caddy. I have five boys.

Anyways, I always play better with a caddy. There is nothing better than hitting the ball and then handing your club off to the caddy and walking to your next shot.

At my home club I am very fortunate to be able to take a caddy every Friday morning and play the course very early ahead of play. There is absolutely no better way for a superintendent to see the course than to walk and play it, and with a caddy carrying your bag, you are able to see even more than you would if you were hauling your clubs. It totally gives you the best understanding of the course conditions.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2009, 11:26:43 AM »
I have only played with a caddie (as opposed to in a group where other players have a caddie) twice, both times in the Elie Links Championship with my son carrying for me.  Both rounds were in miserable conditions and having someone else worry about keeping the clubs dry was a great help.  More of a help, however, were the two or three occasions in each round where I would read the break one way on a putt and he would read it the other.  After the second occasion first time round I learned to just take his word for it.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 11:29:08 AM »
I had never had a caddy until I played Pine Valley.  I was "teamed" up with Rocky.  That was a superb experience, I shot 16 over par on the first 9 with a 3 putt on nearly every green and then 2 over par on the back 9.  Every caddy since that day has been downhill....

I remember playing TOC with Ronan Branigan against my business partner Graeme and a client we had invited. The client had a caddy.  On the first I managed to cream a drive into the wind on the first.  The caddy butted in and gave me the wrong yardage so I overshot the flag by at least 2 irons....start of a great day...Ronan tells me to calm down and was sure the caddy had not done it on purpose. 

Anyway, we are playing the par 5 fifth and Ronan reaches the valley just in front of the green with his second. The rest of us are now on the green with our 3rd shots.  Now Ronan is a handy player (hcp 1) and has a swing made in heaven.  He is a member at County Louth (Baltray) so he knows his golf better than the caddy.  Ronan gets his wedge out and just in the middle of his swing, the caddy shouts out "I don't think you want to be using a wedge here son!"  I thought Ronan was going to run the length of the green to chin this guy!  Luckily he managed to stop the swing and hit a reasonable pitch to about 5 feet but missed the putt for birdie.  Ronan was fuming...

The match ended in a draw with Ronan and my client not talking to each other as Ronan made Graeme putt out on the 16th from 2 feet(which he did); my client did not feel that this was gentlemanly...they were 1 up at the stage and felt that Ronan was being unfair.  Ronan told him what to do with his opinion and proceeded to win the 18th to halve the match...fun had by all... ;D

I've played six rounds now on the Old Course, and seen quite a variety of caddies.  I was referred to a guy named Bruce Sorley who is a true Old Course professional and a nicer gentleman you could never find.  He knows the course from caddying there over 40 years.  He gives the distance and suggests a club after seeing a few shots.  One thing I really like is that he sort of figures out what shot or club you are hitting well and you seem to have that shot over and over.   He has given me some lines that never would have occured to me and I think is fun.

On the other hand, I have seen more than one of the type you describe above, the self-annointed expert who is caddying for one player and wants to tell the other three how to play every shot.   This gets old very quickly.

Sounds like it was lucky there no blows in the game you describe above!  ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2009, 11:32:11 AM »
I can see perfectly why caddies are hit and miss because I've had both a really good one, and a poor one.

I think a good caddie knows to enhance your experience instead of becoming an attraction or sideshow to the round. 

Here are good attibutes IMO:

First off as a general rule I think any good caddie understands the "speak when spoken to" mantra.  Its not about being a prick as the player, its just that some folks like chattyness and others don't, so best to be silent by default because that usually doens't offend anyone.

Second, its great when a caddie hustles and this was certainly the case in my situation.  He was johnny on the spot with everything we needed including clubs, yardage, ball searches, water bottles, etc.  He was 2 bagging and I don't remember having to wait even once.

Third - Have a good positive attitude.  People can pick up on this even with all the non-verbal clues.  The guy seemed geniunily engaged in our round and we had a few fun chats along the way, when we initiated the conversation.  ;)

Fourth - When asked for advice, be sure to know what your talking about.  If a putt ends up breaking 12 inches in the opposite direction than you said, you're not going to have a happy camper on your side.

When these things happen I will glady fork over the dough and really appreciate the service, because it enhanced my experience...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:34:09 AM by Kalen Braley »

Kirk Gill

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2009, 11:33:16 AM »
Having a caddie is too much like having a servant. I don't like the feeling. The whole "they shouldn't speak unless spoken to" deal. Having one of my boyss do it is another thing entirely. I heartily dislike it when a kid comes up and wants to clean off my clubs after a round and wants to carry my clubs to the car. It's not that I care about tipping - although one has to remember to have some ready cash for such occurrences - it's just that these are things I just would rather do myself, like figuring distance and reading greens......
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2009, 11:50:25 AM »
I should add my last good caddie was at Cypress the home of well lets say pushie caddies. He was great and now is Assitant Pro. I agree with Rich. I did have one or two good caddies in Scotland out of 30 or more. Please give me a trolly and a strokesaver.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2009, 11:59:19 AM »
pardon me, mr gooddale.  i'm off to get a life.

i hope it is a goodd one. ;)

rich

Anthony Gray

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2009, 12:10:19 PM »

At Chambers Bay, Garland and I used Brandon Solomonson to caddy. He is a division 1 golfer at Seattle U and his father is head pro at The Classic in Spanaway WA the course Ryan Moore grew up on. After the round he joined us for lunch. Never looked at a caddy as a servant, more like having another golf buddy along.

Anthony

Carl Johnson

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2009, 12:13:55 PM »
As a recreational golfer, I've had caddie experiences only twice.  Several years ago each of our four ball took trainee caddies at TOC.  With a couple of exceptions, I would have had no idea where to aim my drives without the advice of my caddy, so that was very helpful.  He had that down.  On the other hand, he was hopeless in reading putts.  Otherwise, it was a good experience.  He was in no way intrusive.  If I played TOC regularly (that one time will probably be it for me) then I wouldn't need or use a caddy.  The other experience was about 10 years ago at Indian Hill Country Club in Winnetka, IL.  My son and I were guests and rode a cart, while the member walked with a caddy.  We weren't playing any kind of game, and the young caddy offered to read putts for all of us -- and he did a great job at that.  He also had an excellent demeanor.  I don't know what the member paid for the caddy, but he refused a tip from us, saying the club did not permit caddies to accept tips.

Earlier this year I attended a panel program with two Pinehurst caddies, Willie McRae and Eddie McKenzie.  Link to blog, not mine, about the program -- scroll down to "Looper Chronicles" -- http://thebestingolfblog.com/category/caddies/.  After hearing them speak, I'd take either one of them at Pinehurst -- if I could afford Pinehurst.  These guys said everything right.

My bottom line is that if I could get a good caddy every time and if I could afford it, I think it would be a great way to play.  On the other hand, I'm quite happy going it alone.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2009, 12:23:42 PM »
I can see perfectly why caddies are hit and miss because I've had both a really good one, and a poor one.

I think a good caddie knows to enhance your experience instead of becoming an attraction or sideshow to the round. 

First off as a general rule I think any good caddie understands the "speak when spoken to" mantra.  Its not about being a prick as the player, its just that some folks like chattyness and others don't, so best to be silent by default because that usually doens't offend anyone.

Second, its great when a caddie hustles and this was certainly the case in my situation.  He was johnny on the spot with everything we needed including clubs, yardage, ball searches, water bottles, etc.  He was 2 bagging and I don't remember having to wait even once.

Third - Have a good positive attitude.  People can pick up on this even with all the non-verbal clues.  The guy seemed geniunily engaged in our round and we had a few fun chats along the way, when we initiated the conversation.  ;)

Fourth - When asked for advice, be sure to know what your talking about.  If a putt ends up breaking 12 inches in the opposite direction than you said, you're not going to have a happy camper on your side.

When these things happen I will glady fork over the dough and really appreciate the service, because it enhanced my experience...

Kalen,

How was your caddy at The Grudge Match? Did you stiff him?

Anthony

Kalen Braley

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2009, 12:28:50 PM »

Kalen,

Anthony

He was a total a-hole, and yes i stiffed him big time!!   ;D

Jay Flemma

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »
To me, the first duty of a caddie is to read the greens for me.  That stands head and shoulders above everything else, (except basic civility and social skills).

I will say I don't like being FORCED to take a caddie if I don't want one if I have to share him with someone else, and especially if the caddie fee and tip are exorbitant.  A lot of clubs with caddie programs it seems like you pay double for half the service.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Anthony Gray

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2009, 12:47:51 PM »

Kalen,

Anthony

He was a total a-hole, and yes i stiffed him big time!!   ;D

On his death bed he will have total consciiousness.....so he's got that going for him.

Anthony

Kalen Braley

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2009, 12:48:51 PM »
To me, the first duty of a caddie is to read the greens for me.  That stands head and shoulders above everything else, (except basic civility and social skills).

I will say I don't like being FORCED to take a caddie if I don't want one if I have to share him with someone else, and especially if the caddie fee and tip are exorbitant.  A lot of clubs with caddie programs it seems like you pay double for half the service.

Jay,

We are birds of a different feather.  Usually the last thing I want my caddie is reading a green for me as figuring out a green is probably the funnest part of golfing...at least for me.  My one bad experience with a caddy was he wouldn't shut up on the greens and kept blathering on about where to aim, how hard to hit it, etc.

Chris Buie

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2009, 01:35:03 PM »
I was a caddy as a teen-ager.  It was a good experience for me.  Since I knew the greens on #2 so well they even let me caddy for a pro during the Colgate Hall of Fame open circa 1980.  That was particularly great - being inside the ropes.  I always just stayed in the background and only spoke up when it was warranted.  Most of it was just common sense stuff - when you really want to hit it below the hole, places you particularly want to avoid, looking at how the wind is blowing the tops of the tall pines, etc.
Some of the caddies on #2 are overrated these days.  Some of them think they know more than they actually do.  I was playing #2 from the tips once and the caddy handed me a 3-wood for my approach shot to 18.  I just reached in the bag and then proceeded to hit my best shot of the day about 15 feet from the hole - with a four iron.  You know your game better than the caddy does.  You can take their advice into account but follow your own counsel.

C. Squier

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
Question for the caddies here: Why don't caddies ask on the first tee or putting green what your player's preferences are? 

1.  Do you want putts read?
2.  Do you want club selection advice?
3.  Do you mind if I take off EVERY headcover you have and stuff them in the bag? 

Just a few, but asking some very simple questions would lead to a lot less hassle during the round and a better experience where expectations are out in the open before a club is ever drawn back. 

Personally, I just want my caddy to carry the bag.  Part of the fun is reading greens (don't care if I'm wrong....but hate when a caddy insists on a line without me asking and they end up being wrong themself) and determining lines of play myself.  Conversation is OK, just as long as the caddy is paying attention and pulling pins/raking bunkers/filling divots.  I'll let you tell me your life story if I'm not doing your job. 

Give me a 13 yr old kid who's thrilled to make $50 carrying for a semi-decent player who doesn't know squat about golf any day of the week over a "pro" who makes me feel like I'm in the way of their 9 holes after work and 6 pack of Natural Light.

Chris Buie

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2009, 01:59:53 PM »
Well, you guys would really hate having a caddy carrying two bags.  The only time I ever got reprimanded was when I was double caddying and one guy hooked it into the woods and of course the other guy sliced it into the forest.  I went to the shorter drive, gave him the club he decided on and was walking briskly over to the other guy and he was a little angry I was not there sooner. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back