News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Moore II

Re: New Dormie Club Article (Ready by Thanksgiving)
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 10:29:55 AM »
Acording to that map it barely looks like it's in Pinehurst.

Yeah, but are they claiming the course is in 'Pinehurst' proper or the Pinehurst/Sandhills area? Because we still claim that Tobacco Road is in the Sandhills, but its 40some miles out of Southern Pines/Aberdeen.

PCCraig

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 10:38:42 AM »

Yeah, but are they claiming the course is in 'Pinehurst' proper or the Pinehurst/Sandhills area? Because we still claim that Tobacco Road is in the Sandhills, but its 40some miles out of Southern Pines/Aberdeen.

Everything I've heard was that it was "Pinehurst." However I haven't actually understood exactly where it is until I saw the map.
H.P.S.

John Moore II

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 10:53:51 AM »

Everything I've heard was that it was "Pinehurst." However I haven't actually understood exactly where it is until I saw the map.

Pinehurst is a general term in most cases though. Like I tell people I lived in 'Pinehurst' even though I really lived in Southern Pines. Most of the time, 'Pinehurst' is a blanket term thrown out to mean the whole general area down there.

Kenny Baer

Re: New Dormie Club Article (Not Ready by Thanksgiving)
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 11:04:22 AM »
My statement about Bent fways was not accurate; what I meant was have you ever heard of anywhere having bent fways not in the mtn's in the southeast.

Pinehurst weather is similar to Atlanta; I could not imagine a course with Bent fways in Atlanta.

Chris Buie

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 06:35:54 PM »
its 40some miles out of Southern Pines/Aberdeen.
You can get to Tobacco Road from Pinehurst/S.Pines in a half an hour without hurrying.  The drive is also stress free with little traffic and a big new highway.  If my friend Riley is driving you can get there in about 20 minutes but you'd probably still be shaking a bit on the first tee.
The drive from Pinehurst to Dormie will be a little shorter than that - but it is a small two lane road with knuckleheads in your way.

John Moore II

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »
its 40some miles out of Southern Pines/Aberdeen.
You can get to Tobacco Road from Pinehurst/S.Pines in a half an hour without hurrying.  The drive is also stress free with little traffic and a big new highway.  If my friend Riley is driving you can get there in about 20 minutes but you'd probably still be shaking a bit on the first tee.
The drive from Pinehurst to Dormie will be a little shorter than that - but it is a small two lane road with knuckleheads in your way.

Those roads don't get much traffic at all, other than Highway 5 for about a mile leaving the Resort. But those roads through Taylortown are never busy. Its only 6 or 7 miles from the Resort out to Dormie.

dsilk

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2009, 02:16:19 PM »
what is the weather like in Pinehusrt and surrounding areas in Jan/ feb?? I imagine that its hit or miss but would be curious if its worth a "roll the dice" type trip....

PCCraig

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2009, 02:21:10 PM »
what is the weather like in Pinehusrt and surrounding areas in Jan/ feb?? I imagine that its hit or miss but would be curious if its worth a "roll the dice" type trip....

Very hit or miss. I've been down there around that time and it's been 60* and sunny and then I've been down there in early March with 3" of snow on the ground (the snow didn't last long). Weather's not great but the courses are empty and the locals don't play much then IMO.
H.P.S.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2009, 04:03:21 PM »

Dave,

The average high in January for the Pinehurst area is about 50 degrees, w/avg low about 31.

Feb is 54/33.

Mar is 63/40.

I live in central NC and golf is year-round, but you can get bad spells (snow and 'too cold' is rare, ice slightly more likely, rain most common bad weather condition in winter).

If you can plan close to last minute, you can wait until a good weather forecast.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back