News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Buie

New Dormie Club Article (Not Ready by Thanksgiving)
« on: September 10, 2009, 07:30:11 PM »
Here is an article this week from the local newspaper.  
http://thepilot.com/stories/20090909/news/local/20090909Dormie.html
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:29:11 AM by Chris Buie »

Jay Kirkpatrick

Re: New Dormie Club Article (Ready by Thanksgiving)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 08:14:56 PM »
only 16 holes?

David Schofield

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 09:46:21 PM »
With apologies if this has been posted before, is Dormie Club in the northeast quadrant of Beulah Hill Church Rd. and HWY 73?  That's about 2.8 miles west of 15/501

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 10:54:03 PM »
Is the course still supposed to be open to the public?

Lawrence

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 07:52:18 AM »
only 16 holes?

The article says completing 4 holes now and the last two holes by Thanksgiving.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

rjsimper

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 08:10:24 AM »
Is the course still supposed to be open to the public?

Lawrence

I do not believe the course was ever supposed to be open to the public - that was an unfounded rumor near as I can tell.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 08:31:40 AM »
There are some good new pics of the course on Coore & Crenshaw's website.  Click on the link below and then on the "Dormie Club".  There are also some great pics of their new course at Barnbougle, that site looks spectacular.

http://www.coorecrenshaw.com/portfolio.html

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 10:09:01 AM »
It does seem to have some strong similarity to Hidden Creek - similar type of land and soil - I love HC so this is good from my perspective.

Chris Buie

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 01:30:36 PM »
The latest twist.  The developer of Dormie wants to add 2 1/2 courses adjacent to it. 
http://thepilot.com/stories/20090917/news/local/20090917development.html

This is in addition to another development in the area that proposes two new Jack Nicklaus courses.
http://www.thepilot.com/stories/20081114/news/local/20081114Stonehill.html

Niall Hay

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 05:05:56 PM »
only 16 holes?

The article says completing 4 holes now and the last two holes by Thanksgiving.

Any chance the course will be complete by next week? When are they predicting a "soft" opening?

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 09:34:45 AM »
Looks like Google Earth has updated with a recent image of the Dormie Club.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 09:45:29 AM »
Unfortunately, the new Bandon image was on a cloudy day.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Niall Hay

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 11:52:20 AM »

So does anyone with knowledge of the course/club know how close it is to completion? Where exactly is it in relation to Pinehurst the resort?

John Moore II

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 11:19:10 PM »

So does anyone with knowledge of the course/club know how close it is to completion? Where exactly is it in relation to Pinehurst the resort?
Niall-Its maybe 5-6 miles from the resort. Go to Google Maps and type in Taylortown, NC. Thats the little small town that you basically have to drive through going from Pinehurst to the club. Just get to Taylortown the scroll the map directly north and you will see the club. Its almost directly north of the resort.

Niall Hay

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 02:20:51 PM »

Niall-Its maybe 5-6 miles from the resort. Go to Google Maps and type in Taylortown, NC. Thats the little small town that you basically have to drive through going from Pinehurst to the club. Just get to Taylortown the scroll the map directly north and you will see the club. Its almost directly north of the resort.

Thanks John.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 04:53:32 PM »
The club is located very close to Pinehurst #8. Holes #1 and #2 are still under construction. The rest of the course is in various stages of grassing and is "playable". There is no bermuda, so there is no overseeding. And the course will be private... Oh yeah... and its awesome! Like nothing else in pinehurst

John Moore II

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 06:37:01 PM »
The club is located very close to Pinehurst #8. Holes #1 and #2 are still under construction. The rest of the course is in various stages of grassing and is "playable". There is no bermuda, so there is no overseeding. And the course will be private... Oh yeah... and its awesome! Like nothing else in pinehurst

No bermuda?? What? What the freak kind of grass do they have?

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 06:46:10 PM »

zoysia?

J_ Crisham

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 06:52:58 PM »
Hmmm,  Whom do I know that will be visiting his sister in North Carolina over Thanksgiving weekend? ;)   Hit em straight  Kyle!
                                                                                                                   Jack

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 08:09:16 PM »

This might help:

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 09:21:34 PM »

I believe they said it is a mix of different bentgrasses.... A1 is one of them and I think one of the others goes by the name of Crenshaw!

The course has plenty of vast natural waste areas with local wire grasses.

... The course will not open officially open until this summer.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 09:49:39 PM »
That is wild, I did not imagine you could have bent grass fways that far south. It will be intersting to see how well it takes. Do any of you guys know of another course w bent grass fways as far south as Pinehurst?

John Moore II

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 11:33:06 PM »
That is wild, I did not imagine you could have bent grass fways that far south. It will be intersting to see how well it takes. Do any of you guys know of another course w bent grass fways as far south as Pinehurst?

If they have bent grass fairways out there, I feel they will be in big trouble come the summer. Screw firm and fast out there, those fairways will either be dead (and fast) or soft. Unless these new bent grasses are insanely tolerant to high heat. But unless that is the case,  if they really do have Bent fairways, that maintenance budget will be crazy high, I think, just to keep the stuff alive in the summer (unless they intend Dormie to be an Augusta style club that is only open 6 months of the year).

I have heard Grandfather Mountain CC has bent grass fairways; its about as far south as Pinehurst, but at roughly 4000 feet elevation, so...

But no, I can't think of a club that far south with Bent fairways, I'm sure there are some, though I would also say they are most likely not 12 month clubs.

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 08:34:51 AM »
Acording to that map it barely looks like it's in Pinehurst.
H.P.S.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 10:23:04 AM »

I believe Kenmure in Flat Rock, NC has bent fairways: http://www.kenmure.com/golf/index.html
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back