News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Dye design in Oregon
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:48:54 PM »
Saw this today on the Dye Design blog:

Dye announces the Crook Point Resort in Oregon

http://ilovedyegolf.blogspot.com/2009/09/dye-announces-crook-point-resort-in.html

"This is the kind of site a golf architect dreams about. We have the opportunity to take advantage of the beautiful Oregon coast by routing our design along the shoreline and up on the cliff vistas." says Perry Dye. "The dramatic landscape and gorgeous views will give this course a uniquely natural feel. I am excited for what Crook Point will surely become- one of the most sought after tee times on the west coast."

Anybody heard anything about this project?  How far from Bandon?

Garland Bayley

Re: Dye design in Oregon
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 01:50:27 PM »
Off hand, I'm thinking that would be about an hour south of Bandon.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 02:13:48 PM »
From Google Earth's perspective that stretch between Brookings and Gold Beach looks pretty nice. 

Do NorCal folks typically drive up to Bandon on Hwy 101 or take the interstate (5)?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 02:17:27 PM »
From Google Earth's perspective that stretch between Brookings and Gold Beach looks pretty nice. 

Do NorCal folks typically drive up to Bandon on Hwy 101 or take the interstate (5)?

Eric,

The southern Oregon coast is fabulous. CA hiway 1 gets all the hype, but pales in comparison IMHO.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 02:18:40 PM »

I take the Coastal route whenever possible, especially in light of making your way over to 5 from Bandon isn't much faster if any.

That stretch is indeed very nice..hell the entire stretch of Hwy 101 in Oregon is epic.  Hopefully the project turns out well and it will be yet another reason to make a return trip to the area.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 03:18:36 PM »
Brookings to Gold Beach is about a 45 minute drive - I'm surprised there's land there for golf - a lot of is public land.

It's very beautiful, and like most of the coast, alternates between headlands and beaches.

More info:  http://www.currypilot.com/20090516113210/News/Local-News/Golf-resort-proposed-for-Pistol-River
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 03:22:48 PM by Dan Herrmann »

C. Sturges

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
I think this is a couple miles north of Port Orford.  I used to live in the area and two families where trying to get there land use changed.  Both families own more than enough land to make multiple courses along with lodging or homes.  The land is very good, but I am not sure if it is better than the land Bandon Dunes is on.   A side note, the town of Port Orford has a putt putt course and I played it a couple of times a month for the better part of four years and only saw two other people ever play it.  Hope thay will get more play for a real course.  It will make a great stopping point for driving in from Cali.
chris

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 11:16:32 AM »
I find it interesting that its a Perry Dye course yet he shows a picture of Whistling Straits which is a Pete Dye golf course.

What has Perry Dye done to deserve such a great piece of property?

The article says the following:

"We have the opportunity to take advantage of the beautiful Oregon coast by routing our design along the shoreline and up on the cliff vistas." says Perry Dye. "The dramatic landscape and gorgeous views will give this course a uniquely natural feel."

There is no web site for this development.  I wonder how much land along the ocean will be used?

Norbert P

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 03:11:21 PM »

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 03:21:53 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Michael Dugger

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 03:20:21 PM »
This thread is misleading. 

Big difference between Pete Dye doing the course and his son....
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 03:26:01 PM »

I wondered about that, Michael. But I don't know anything about Perry. What are your thoughts about the difference you mention?

Norbert P

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 03:44:50 PM »
http://www.dyedesigns.com/portfolio.html      For Perry Dye's portfolio.  It's a bit confusing to me because I couldn't find Perry's sole accomplishments for comparison with Pete's.  Just going by the pictures I'd say he has his father's tendencies.

Courses designed with Pete Dye . . .

Búzios Golf Club and Resort                                          Armaçáo de Búzios, Brazil
Chukyo Golf Club-Ishino Course                                   Aichi, Japan
Copper Creek Golf Club                                                 Copper Mountain, Colorado
The Cotton Ranch Club                                                  Gypsum, Colorado
The Country Club Glenmoor                                          Chiba, Japan
Firethorn Golf Club                                                         Lincoln, Nebraska
Glenmoor Country Club                                                  Cherry Hills Village, Colorado
Karsten Golf Course at A.S.U.                                       Tempe, Arizona
Kimisarazu Golf Links                                                    Chiba, Japan
Las Vegas Paiute Resort-The Wolf                               Las Vegas, Nevada
Lost Canyons Golf Club                                                  Simi Valley, California
Luana Hills Country Club                                               Kailua, Hawaii
Maple Point Golf Club                                                    Yamanashi, Japan
Pete Dye Golf Club-Royal Course                                 Tochigi, Japan
Pete Dye Golf Club-VIP Course                                    Tochigi, Japan
Plum Creek Golf & Country Club                                 Castle Rock, Colorado
Poresia Country Club                                                      Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Promontory Ranch Club-Pete Dye Course                    Park City, Utah
Rancho Santa Fe Farms Golf Club                                 Rancho Santa Fe, California
Red Mountain Ranch Country Club                               Mesa, Arizona
St. Lakes Golf Club                                                         Mie, Japan
Trump National Golf Club                                              Rancho Palos Verdes, California
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 03:57:46 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Michael Dugger

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 04:02:12 PM »

I wondered about that, Michael. But I don't know anything about Perry. What are your thoughts about the difference you mention?

I think you kinda answered your own question, Adam.

Ever heard of Perry Dye?  Ever heard of a noteworthy course he's designed?

Surely not the legendary designer of numerous venerable courses like TPC, Harbour Town, Whistling...etc
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Larry_Rodgers

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 08:57:17 PM »
The site is 90 minutes driveway to driveway south of Bandon. Can be viewed on Google as part of pistol river park. Perry has some very talented people working on the site with him. Some of Perry's former staff have done very well for themselves, Tim Furness has been clearing over the past month and there may be plenty of permitting obstacles to get though.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 01:42:22 PM »
I read this today:

Details:

In September '09, plans were continuing on this GC-resort development (previously called Pistol River GC) in Pistol River, a small town near Brookings on the SW Oregon coast. The project backers include Leroy Blodgett and the Crook family, which wants to use 200 acres of its 2,800 acres it owns in the Pistol River area. The backers hired Perry Dye of Dye Designs International to design the GC. Overseeing the land-use issues is Steve Pfeiffer of the Perkins-Coie law firm in Portland (503.727.2000). In addition to the GC overlooking the Pacific Ocean, the project involves a clubhouse, resort facilities, between 25 and 75 cabins, employee HUs and other on-site amenities. Blodgett and the Crooks are working with Grant Hornbeak of AZ-based Five Star Development (480-214-6071; email: ghornbeak@aol.com) who is selling a limited number of memberships. The project would rival Bandon Dunes, but with a lower price point ($115 a ! round) and an orientation toward business groups. Before it moves forward, the project must be approved by Curry County officials (contact is associate planner Jodi Fritts - 541-247-3304) following a series of reviews and public hearings. The backers are seeking a redesignation of the site as a destination resort. If everything goes smoothly, site prep could start in late '09, with the GC opening in summer 2011.

Ian Larson

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 02:43:56 PM »
I was told that there are no site plans developed for the course yet, or are not finished. And the project is going through the enviornmental permitting process which is expected to take awhile. Site clearing late this year is very optimistic and probably not realistic.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 02:53:20 PM »
Bandon with carts? ;)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 02:56:04 PM »
Bandon with carts? ;)

Come on Tim, it's Perry Dye for gosh sakes. Their hoping people will notice the P Dye and overlook the erry.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 05:53:51 PM »
Bandon with carts? ;)

Come on Tim, it's Perry Dye for gosh sakes. Their hoping people will notice the P Dye and overlook the erry.

Come on Bayley, Donald Trump loves Perry so much he doesn't even mention his name in the course website for Trump Naional Los Angeles. Your fired! :o
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 06:01:50 PM »
Ever heard of Perry Dye?  Ever heard of a noteworthy course he's designed?

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,27445.0/

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Richard Choi

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 12:51:56 PM »

Rob Rigg

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 01:05:36 PM »
For the purists out there - based on the clientele they seem to be looking for - this could be one of those situations where a spectacular site is wasted - a la Sandpines up the Oregon Coast.

That would really suck - let's hope that it does not happen and the Perry Team come up with something brilliant.

Shane Wright

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 01:08:47 PM »

Do you recall the names of the families?  I think I know where you are talking about.

I think this is a couple miles north of Port Orford.  I used to live in the area and two families where trying to get there land use changed.  Both families own more than enough land to make multiple courses along with lodging or homes.  The land is very good, but I am not sure if it is better than the land Bandon Dunes is on.   A side note, the town of Port Orford has a putt putt course and I played it a couple of times a month for the better part of four years and only saw two other people ever play it.  Hope thay will get more play for a real course.  It will make a great stopping point for driving in from Cali.
chris

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 10:04:05 PM »
   There are some nice dunes by the mouth of the Pistol River. Too bad they are west of US101. Maps indicate all land west the highway is  state park, currently unavailable for development. The one time I drove past there the site looked ideal for a golf course. In fact Mike Keiser had the same thoughts as outlined in Stephen Goodwin's 'Dream Golf', starting on page 77. He tried to buy the property, but the Crook's wouldn't sell. Other options were pursued by Keiser, until he found out about the land further north, at Bandon.
   I may swing past there in a week's time and take some pictures.

Michael Hayes

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 01:47:33 AM »
Just got an xmas card from a cousin in oregon that included a routing map of the Perry Dye course.  He lived in a house on the point for over a decade in the 1970's.  All 19 holes, range and cabins will be built west of the 101.  I am going to wait for permission to post the map but I will give you the latitudes of the north and south edges of the course.  N edge 42.15'02" S edge 42.13'46". 

It seems to be a pretty funky routing that has 12-18 playing within a 400' wide gap between the highway and the ocean.  lots of ocean holes and cart paths for sure.

MH
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back