News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lester George

Re: Hershey CC East now on tap: photo tour of some Hershey, PA courses
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 01:13:51 PM »
All of the East Course is about to change (I hope).  Members don't like it.  All 18 holes will originate and end across the road from the clubhouse and the current back nine will be transformed into a teaching/learning center with lodging.  Thats the plan anyway.

Lester

Joe Bausch

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 01:46:31 PM »
All of the East Course is about to change (I hope).  Members don't like it.  All 18 holes will originate and end across the road from the clubhouse and the current back nine will be transformed into a teaching/learning center with lodging.  Thats the plan anyway.

Lester

Well, I'm glad I was able to see HEast before it gets changed!  Any info on when these changes will begin Lester?  And will alterations be made to the West course as well?

Joe
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Lester George

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 02:47:02 PM »
Expect the changes to the East Course to start in 2010.  There won't be anything left of the original.  As I said, members don't appreciate it and niether do resort guests.  The East will become a Heathland Style golf course of my design and will be designed to hold a national event.

The practice facility will be the next project and the West Course will be renovated last, hopefully by 2015.

Lester

Joe Bausch

Re: Hershey CC East now on tap: photo tour of some Hershey, PA courses New
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 05:46:53 PM »
Now it is time for a little tour of the West course at Hershey CC, designed by Maurice McCarthy and opened for play in 1930.  It hosted the 1940 PGA Championship and many other tournaments, and back in the early 90's the LPGA had a regular tour stop there.  From the back tees it plays to a par 73 (72.6/130).  It has a stretch of holes on the back nine where 3 of 4 holes are par 5, two of which I like very much.

#1:  also the No. 1 handicap hole, a dogleg-left 437 yard par 4 (a real nice opening hole).

I don't have a view from the tee on this hole:

#2:  a par 5 (568 yards) to an elevated green:

#3:  par 4 (354 yards)

It isn't obvious until exiting the green how the green is built up:

After playing the 3rd you must cross over a public road to get to a neat little hole.

#4:  a tight, dogleg left par 4 (307 yards).

#5:  that last pic is basically from the elevated 5th tee, a par 3 (176 yards) with the original Milton Hershey mansion over the green:

#6:  a dogleg left par 4 (345 yards) with creeks in play:

Another road is crossed at this point.

#7:  a par 5 (550 yards).

#8:  par 3 (232 yards).

#9:  par 4 (389 yards).

#10:  par 4 (422 yards).

#11:  shortish par 4 (354 yards) with a blind tee shot and a fun, tiny green.

#12:  par 3 (180 yards).

#13:  one of par 5's on the back nine I really like as the FW falls off dramatically to the left near the driver landing area:

#14:  par 4 (354 yards).

#15:  another par 5 (501 yards) I really like, where the terrain is beautifully rolling with a big dip before the green benched into a hill.

#16:  the 3rd par 5 in the last hour holes (517 yards).

#17:  par 3 (182 yards).

#18:  the finishing hole is good dogleg-right par 4 (389 yards).

I hope you enjoyed the tour of three pretty good courses in Hershey, PA.  I guess if I was in the area for half a day and could only play one of the three courses again, I would lean toward Hershey Links.

Lester:  I am anxious to see how the new Hershey East turns out and hope you can perhaps pass along a routing if/when you have it.  And I'll be curious as to what kind of 'nip and tuck' might happen on the West course.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:43:08 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Steve_ Shaffer

I played Hershey Links today 2 weeks post aerification. The fairways were rolling and there was lots of roll. The greens were a little soft but there was some speed and no sand remaining. The course was not crowded at all. Pace of play was not an issue. I really liked this course- a good mix of holes, good conditions and good food in the clubhouse. I'll be back.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Rob Rigg

Gents,

These courses look walkable - with the Links the toughest - but would it be accurate to say that cart golf is encouraged?

Looks like some of the creeks could have bridges for walkers, but there do not appear to be any?

Thanks

Steve_ Shaffer

I wouldn't attempt to walk Hershey Links. Perhaps someone without a Medicare card would.  ;D

East & West are very walkable.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Scott Warren

Really glad I clicked on this link. Hershey Links looks like great fun. I have three observations.

1. What a great set of greens!
2. Pity the greenside grass isn't cut shorter so some of the slopes around the putting surfaces could be used to funnel the ball on or allow a poorly-struck approach to run off/away.
3. Unless your pics were taken from places to minimise its presence, the cart path is well hidden and doesn't visually intrude on most holes.

Thanks a lot, Joe.

Tim Gavrich

Bumping the thread, but I have things to say.

I played Hershey East today as a practice round with my team (Washington & Lee University).  I have to say, it is one of the most repetitive golf courses I have ever played.  I was utterly astounded by the unending procession of holes that played from elevated tees down to low fairways, rising back to elevated greens.  I like holes like that, but essentially every par 4 and 5 at Hershey East is that way, to unsatisfyingly varying degrees.  The bunker style also didn't sit well with me.  It wasn't a bad course; I'd call it a Doak 5-5.5.  I'm really excited to play Hershey Links tomorrow.

If anyone is in the area tomorrow or Sunday, the Elizabethtown Invitational should be a fun tournament to see.  Tee times begin tomorrow at noon at Hershey Links and on Sunday at 9 AM at Hershey East.

Cheers.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back