News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Tiger Woods course set to debut in top 100
« on: September 09, 2009, 02:58:12 PM »
From

http://www.golf.com/golf/courses_travel/article/0,28136,1917694,00.html

Ten to Watch: Watch Out, Top 100! These Tracks Are Hot on Your Tail
The Cliffs at High Carolina
Asheville, N.C.
Tiger Woods has two other courses in the works — one in Dubai, another in Mexico — but High Carolina is his first U.S. design. Slated to open next year, the course is draped across a mountain meadow in the heart of Blue Ridge country. We know Tiger can play, but can he design? We're about to find out.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Lawrence Largent

Re: Tiger Woods course set to debut in top 100
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 03:13:36 PM »
From what I understand they haven't even broke ground on High Carolina.  I had asked a friend who lives in Asheville about the course and he said they were still in the permit stages.

Lawrence

Garland Bayley

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Greg Chambers

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 03:33:35 PM »
If you go one small step further and click on the link, you'll see that the course was built in 2010.  Did I miss something???
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 03:36:12 PM »
Not a single green bunkered on both sides...

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 03:47:09 PM »
Par-71 with three par-3's on the front side?

Looks Fazio-esque from the air.
H.P.S.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 04:00:26 PM »
If you go one small step further and click on the link, you'll see that the course was built in 2010.  Did I miss something???

Golf magazine was speculating that it would crack their next top 100 after it opens. It's called hype!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 04:06:22 PM »
Par-71 with three par-3's on the front side?

Looks Fazio-esque from the air.

Tiger's lead designer is Beau Welling who spent 10-12 years with Tom Fazio. Beau now has his own design firm, Beau Welling Design, based out of Asheville, NC.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Philippe Binette

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 04:12:03 PM »
no matter whether the course is great or bad, it's going to be in the top 100 just because it's Tiger and no rankers would have the guts to sink him down if needed

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 04:14:56 PM »
no matter whether the course is great or bad, it's going to be in the top 100 just because it's Tiger and no rankers would have the guts to sink him down if needed

i think a lot of them would..its not like they are personal friends of his, so who cares what his reaction is?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 04:18:47 PM »

This has GRUDGE MATCH 2 wtittin all over it.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »

This has GRUDGE MATCH 2 wtittin all over it.

Anthony

DM vs MC?

Philippe Binette

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 04:37:54 PM »
If Tiger Woods invites you to the opening, fly you in and then you can spend a day with another 100 so-called raters chatting along with Tiger telling you how great is new course is (it might be great for real...)... and you think, that course is garbage... would you tell him.

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 05:52:47 PM »
If Tiger Woods invites you to the opening, fly you in and then you can spend a day with another 100 so-called raters chatting along with Tiger telling you how great is new course is (it might be great for real...)... and you think, that course is garbage... would you tell him.

they dont fly raters in Philippe!

and i doubt the course will be garbage...but i dont think anyone should assume it will be great a Doak 7 or above automatically

and if pressed i think one could offer contructive criticism in a diplomatic fashion

Philippe Binette

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 05:55:17 PM »
I doubt it's going to be garbage too, of course... but I wouldn't be surprised to see it past Cruden Bay or North Berwick, if you know what I mean

PThomas

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 06:13:55 PM »
I doubt it's going to be garbage too, of course... but I wouldn't be surprised to see it past Cruden Bay or North Berwick, if you know what I mean

oh i agree with your last thought...but i sure hope those who do rate it wont automatically give it a 9 or 10 just cause its Tiger...and most if not all raters i know wouldnt do that

mark chalfant

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 06:24:11 PM »
There are some very nice courses in North Carolina ,so if his layout cracks the top 100 in Tar Heel state that's  an accomplishment !

jim_lewis

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 06:27:58 PM »
You guys must be joking. You can be sure that when I rate it, I will try hard not to be influenced negatively by the fact that Tiger is associated with. That is always a challenge when evaluating a course "designed" by a touring pro. As much as I love him, I rarely have given a high rating to an Arnold Palmer course. I have occasionally been pleasantly surprised (some Love and Norman courses come to mind). Maybe I will be this time. Maybe not. In any case, no one outside of the magazine staff will know my rating, certainly not Tiger.

Jim Lewis
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Jonathan Webb

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 08:58:35 PM »
discoverhighcarolina.com

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 09:58:14 PM »
It is obviously difficult to determine much from a routing rendering however I have a few observations:

All of the first 5 greens are set at an angle for a draw shot for a right handed golfer.

Note how almost every green is shaped like a peanut.  Almost all are wide at the front and back and pinch together near the center of the green.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of variety in terms of fairway width or green size either. 

Would you expect a little more creativity and/or variety for his design fee? 

Abe Summers

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 12:18:40 AM »
Matthew, I don't think setting up the first 5 holes for a right handed golfer has any relationship with the future rankings, but when they host a Tiger - Phil match play event well then I'd have to say you could earn a tidy sum betting on Phil because everything seems to be pointing towards a Tiger 8 and 7 or somesuch.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 12:37:02 AM »
I hope this course get completed. Naturally I hope it is very good. I found the article hypish and not worthy of GCA giving it credibility.

Emil Weber

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 05:45:58 AM »
Awesome! 5 greens angled from front right to back left to start the round  ;D

Jim Colton

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 08:32:48 AM »
No mention of Rock Creek in the 'Next 10'.  'Severe greens' is what held it back in the Best New Private category after it came out, and I'm assuming this perception is what is keeping it out of the Top 100 (or 110).

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 08:53:59 AM »

We all went black and woke up 3 years later, it's now 2012.

This post sponsored by ABC. You can catch FlashForward on Thursdays this fall.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back