News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Clouser

Auction on Maxwell related items
« on: August 27, 2009, 12:57:42 PM »
I was notified a couple of weeks ago by Bob Zafian of Green Jacket Auctions of an auction that he was going to be conducting on-line.  An elderly woman in Oklahoma stumbled on some items that she found in her home that turn out to be some relics from Perry Maxwell and she is going to try and sell them off.  There were roughly 250 or so photos, some letters and a few programs as well. I have been trying to help Bob identify some of the photos.  They believe the collection belonged to Perry Maxwell at one time due to his name being on most of the documents.  There are some photos that were given to Maxwell by some of his associates like Mackenzie and Bob Jones.  Most of the photos are of golf courses that Maxwell worked at.  The list of items I have seen show early photos of Dornick Hills, Twin Hills, Oklahoma City, Prairie Dunes, Augusta, Brook Hollow, Gulph Mills, Crystal Downs and a few other courses.  There are also some photos of Jones, including one of Jones and Harry Vardon together.  It is quite impressive.  Bob thought, and I agreed, that many on this site would be interested in the collection and possibly purchasing some of the items. 

The website for the auction is www.greenjacketauctions.com and it is slated to begin on August 31.

Bob said I could put his contact info on here, but I would rather use some discretion with his personal info.  So if you want to contact him directly, shoot me a PM or e-mail and I will get you the information. 

ed_getka

Re: Auction on Maxwell related items
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 01:33:26 PM »
Chris,
   Thanks for letting us know. I went to the website, but none of the items are listed there or at least I can't find them.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 01:55:08 PM »
I don't know that they are up yet.  I'll post something when I get word from Bob that they are online.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 09:15:06 PM »
Chris,

Long time! I hope all is well?

Did you see anything of Old Town?

Dunlop
336-972-2856

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 12:42:12 PM »
Going to keep this up on the first page until the auction occurs for anyone that is interested.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 07:13:24 PM »
Regarding the photos, was he involved in Brook Hollow? I thought that was a Tillinghast course. Did they collaborate?
Or am I reading too much into that photo being included in that group?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Richard Choi

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 07:21:10 PM »
How do we know this site deals in legit goods? There are an awful lot of Tiger signed memorabilia on this site and 99% of the Tiger signed stuff out there is fake.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 07:52:16 PM »
Ralph,

He was involved in a renovation there.  Philip Young probably can provide all the details.

Richard,

If you want I can provide you the contact info and you can discuss it with them.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 08:32:55 AM »
Bumping this up again today.

Bob Zafian did say the auction would being around noon.  I'll provide more details as they become available.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 08:38:11 AM »
I like the originally signed US Open scorecards on the site.  When I last visited the USGA (~1990) you could buy those for a couple of bucks each.  I got one of Sandy Lyle's for my then Scottish squeeze.  If I had known that they would become so valuable, I could have emptied my wallet and now be a very rich man....... :'(

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 08:49:49 AM »
Bumping this up again today.

Bob Zafian did say the auction would being around noon.  I'll provide more details as they become available.

Chris,

Do you happen to know when they will be posting the items that will be up for auction?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 11:01:39 AM »
JC,

On Monday (8/31).  I think the auction will run for a few weeks, so there will be plenty of opportunity to bid on items.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 02:27:51 PM »
Bumping this up again.  Will do so tomorrow for the last time.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 07:34:28 AM »
I'll bump this up again today.  The auction should begin around lunch time.  The link again is www.greenjacketauctions.com.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 08:11:52 AM »

Wow Chris, there is some excellent items this auction! 

Check out this bunker work by Perry at Twin Hills.. certainly not the boring clam shell bunkering some people associate with Maxwell.

http://www.greenjacketauctions.com/site/images_items/Item_6410_1.jpg

http://www.greenjacketauctions.com/site/images_items/Item_6410_6.jpg

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 08:24:56 AM »
Some pretty amazing prices acheived for Tiger Woods signed flags!!!!!!!!!

Can't decide if I should sell mine or if they will appreciate and just give em to my grandkids
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 08:50:41 AM »
Richard- Greenjacket are legit, honest and reliable.
Cary- Tiger signed stuff is often very over priced and fetches crazy money because the buyers simply dont understand, I don't think it will strengthen much over time he has signed lots and lots of items, so many will catch a cold long term, the real stuff that will appreciate is the older stuff, old US open programmes will make better money than the current bid prices and its not a bad time to start accumulating them, old photographs and these Perry Maxwell items could be a steal, I also like the Tony Lema signed photo but I expect that might creep up to $250. The 63 Open players badge at $100 is a bargain too.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 09:59:59 AM »
Craig,

I'm sure those bunkers at Twin Hills were solely due to the inspiration of Mackenzie.  That's how powerful the man's influence on golf architecture must have been in the day.  He could influence someone at least 5 years out from actually working with them.  Because we all know that Maxwell could have only built clamshell shaped bunkers in that Oklahoma clay... ::)

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 12:38:04 PM »
Wanted to bring this up as a reminder that today is the last two days for the auction.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 12:45:01 PM by Chris_Clouser »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »
Wanted to bring this up as a reminder that today is the last day for the auction.
I've bid on about 10 items but still only best bid on about 3. I really want the 1920 Vardon- Jones Pic, but I think I know whose outbidding me :O(
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 12:45:32 PM »
That is a pretty sweet photo.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back