News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Golf Course Architecture in America
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:46:32 PM »
As I am reading through this wonderful book, the last page of Chapter 4 struck me.  Here are a few quotes from that page from the book that was written in 1927...

"Beware of the man with land to sell who wishes you to build a golf course so that you can sell the land for him."  He goes on to talk about the conflicts of interest inherent in building a golf course to sell real estate/homes.

"Do not strive for length where you sacrifice character.  Your yardage is less valuable of the two considerations"

"When you play a course and remember each hole, it had individuality and change.  If you mind can not recall the exact sequence of holes, that course lacks the great assets of originality and diversity."  Reminds me of Anthony's theory on golf course architecture.  :)

Great book...chapter 2 is a must read and re-read for me.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Chris Buie

Re: Golf Course Architecture in America
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 12:23:03 AM »
Sounds like it should be required reading for any once and future GCA.

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 07:30:50 AM »
Chris,

I'm sure most course architects have read it.  I'm sure that most of those probably agree with Thomas.  There comes a time when feeding one's family replaces any sort of first philosophic principles. 

Heck, Doak and C&C have designed for real estate developments so even the ones we often think of as the most philosophically pure are breaching this principle.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 07:59:41 AM »
For the record, that first quote wasn't meant as a slap or anything like that...I simply was impressed that a guy 83 years ago saw a potentially major issue that could damage the game.  It seemed to add further credibility to his thoughts and ideas which are quite outstanding.

The length quote is a fight we are still battling with today.

And the remembering each hole quote seemed to really tie in the Anthony Gray's "Give me Something" style of architecutre.

I am sure that almost all architects/designers have read the book, I just find it interesting how amazingly insightful these Old School Architects were about their subject.  It reminds me of when I was studying the martial arts and reading Bruce Lee's writings.  Amazing, timeless, insightful, and the core concepts of his ideas are still being used today.  I think people like this are true geniuses and warrant continued lifetime study. 

Tim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 08:47:12 AM »
First book my Dad ever gave me to read about GCA.  He always said "the more things change, the more they stay the same".  That and "study history, it always seems to repeat itself because while times chamge, man does not".
Coasting is a downhill process

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 09:06:07 AM »
Mac,

How do housing courses damage the game exactly? By putting golf in peoples backyards so they can play nearly every day they choose? By making it affordable as well as accessible?

I am not buying the fact that if there were no housing cousres, all 17,000 USA courses would be masterpieces.  For that matter, I think there would be far less than 17,000 USA courses, and far fewer than 25,000,000 golfers, which would further impact the cost of all aspects of the game.

I think there is a great case to be made that while generally somewhat less quality than a stand alone course, overall, housing courses have helped the game.

I also think if GT felt that strongly about it, he might not have designed Bel Aire...among others.  Nor would Mac have done Pasa, there would be no Pebble Beach and on and on.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mac Plumart

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 10:24:42 AM »
Jeff...

I'll put the entire quote on this post later tonight.  I don't think he was saying don't EVER combine the two...I think the emphasis was BEWARE of them and do your due diligence to see if it is a scheme to make a boat load selling real estate or a sincere effort to build a solid golf course.  But of course maybe I am wrong and would welcome your opinion and/or clarification.

FYI...I saw the write up concering Firekeeper in the latest Golf Course Architecture mag.  Cool stuff.

Tim...the last sentence you use is the crux of my investment philosophy as well.  Interesting!!

Michael Rossi

Re: Golf Course Architecture in America New
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 10:32:16 AM »
Mac,

How do housing courses damage the game exactly?

Jeff

As an example, in Ontario, a course called Islington has been damaged and had to fight it in court. The 3rd hole had to be rerouted and a fence erected, after a house was built.

http://www.ontgolf.ca/g4g/2007/03/15/the-battle-for-islington-gc-round-four/ for more on the story.

This is not the only course that has suffered from housing on it boarders.

On other courses noise restrictions, maintenance times restrictions, and tee time restrictions have been put in place by home owners that boarder golf courses, I feel this hurts the game by restricting access to the course.

Home owners want the increased property value, the tranquil setting, without the golf, maintenance equipment in the early morning, an the maintenance practices required to provide the setting (pesticide applications). If the correct setbacks are put in place the situation can work but in most cases they are not so that the developer can maximize the amount of property they can sell.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:58:19 AM by Michael Rossi »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back