News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Great non-Top 100 GB&I courses
« on: September 07, 2009, 10:36:32 AM »
What courses would you recommend a GCA-keen golfer should check out that aren't on this list:
Golf World GB&I Top 100

Some of Sean's threads have got me thinking there appears to be sleepers galore out there, so what are they?

Martin Toal

Re: Great non-Top 100 GB&I courses
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 11:34:43 AM »
There are quite a few other nice courses in Ireland worth playing. All are links.

In the north west part, you could try Narin & Portnoo http://www.narinportnoogolfclub.ie/, and Portsalon http://www.portsalongolfclub.ie/.

Across the border into Northern Ireland, Castlerock http://www.castlerockgc.co.uk/ is pretty near Portrush and Portstewart. Down the coast towards Newcastle, you will find Ardglass http://www.ardglassgolfclub.com/

Down the east coast, back into the Republic, in the same area as Baltray, you will find Seapoint, http://www.seapointgolfclub.com/ and Laytown & Bettystown http://www.landb.ie/Home.html

Further down towards Royal Dublin is a nice course too http://www.theroyaldublingolfclub.com/royaldublin/

Don't know the area south of Dublin so well, and then carrying on around the coast, you will reach the abomination of Old Head and then the Kerry courses which are all rated in that top 100.

Cristian

Re: Great non-Top 100 GB&I courses New
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 12:41:54 PM »
Courses worthwhile not on the top 100 list:

(N)Ireland:
-Dooks
-Portstewart
-Ballyliffin OLD
-Cork GC

Scotland:

- Boat of Garten
- Glasgow Gailes
- Lundin

England:

- Stoke Poges
- East Sussex National (East and West) new golf, but good anyway.
- Prince's (but you already know that one)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 04:49:48 PM by Cristian Willaert »

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »
I  would nominate Perrenporth in Cornwall and Stoneham in Southhampton; both well worth a day out!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 01:02:28 PM »
Scott

I came up with 10 which are great courses not listed that I think belong.

Beau Desert
Brora
Cavendish
Huntercombe
Kington - yes!!!!
Pennard
Portstewart
Princes
Southerndown
Tenby

To make room, courses I know that I would chuck out

St Mellion
Southport & Ainsdale
Belfry
Nefyn
New Zealand
Worplesdon
Tralee
Hunstanton
Gullane #1
Donegal

Others of merit which I think contend for spots, but the courses I would ditch are more a matter of preference than quality - if I listed them you lot would howl - tee hee.

Portrush Valley
Harborne
Dunbar
Wallasey

Others which I don't think contend, but are cool and very much worth seeing.  

Perranporth
Whittington Heath
West Cornwall
Strandhill
Burnham & Berrow Channel Course
Northamptonshire Co
Saunton West
Littlestone

Ciao

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:38:57 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 01:13:54 PM »
I don't see Silloth-on-Solway or Brora. Justified omissions?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 01:21:33 PM »
It's a pretty weak list, particularly after you get to #59 or so.  Among the courses that would not look out of place with many of the 60-100 ranked courses are, off the top of my head, and ones I have played:

Littlestone
Hesketh
RAC Club
Lossiemouth
Ballyliffin (old)
Portsalon
Enniscrone
Murcar
Brora
Mulranny
Panmure
Wallesey
Southerndown
Glasgow Gailes
New Course
Eden Course
Ladybank
Lundin
Elie
Seaton Carew
Brunstsfield
Pitferrane

I'm sure there are more....

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 01:27:29 PM »
I  would nominate Perrenporth in Cornwall and Stoneham in Southhampton; both well worth a day out!

I visited Perranporth when I went to Cornwall, but didn't play. If I head back to St Ives (the missus loved it) I'll play it and West Cornwall (which I walked but didn't play).

Scott

I came up with 9 which are great courses not listed that I think belong.

Beau Desert
Cavendish
Huntercombe
Kington - yes!!!!
Pennard
Portstewart
Princes
Southerndown
Tenby

Thanks Sean, some good options there that I'm hoping to see. The London Heath is awesome, but it seems you and James have quite a deal of hidden gems at your doorstep in the Midlands!

You don't see them on the list? Silloth is 48 from memory, but I don't remember if Brora is on there.

Thanks also Rich, Cristian and Martin.

It's starting to dawn on me that if I don't get my priorities sorted, I could well miss out on some of the places I really want to see before my UK stint ends next October, so these suggestions are very much appreciated as always.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 01:31:21 PM by Scott Warren »

David Stamm

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 01:34:49 PM »
I  would nominate Perrenporth in Cornwall and Stoneham in Southhampton; both well worth a day out!

I visited Perranporth when I went to Cornwall, but didn't play. If I head back to St Ives (the missus loved it) I'll play it and West Cornwall (which I walked but didn't play).

Scott

I came up with 9 which are great courses not listed that I think belong.

Beau Desert
Cavendish
Huntercombe
Kington - yes!!!!
Pennard
Portstewart
Princes
Southerndown
Tenby

Thanks Sean, some good options there that I'm hoping to see. The London Heath is awesome, but it seems you and James have quite a deal of hidden gems at your doorstep in the Midlands!

You don't see them on the list? Silloth is 48 from memory, but I don't remember if Brora is on there.

Thanks also Rich, Cristian and Martin.

It's starting to dawn on me that if I don't get my priorities sorted, I could well miss out on some of the places I really want to see before my UK stint ends next October, so these suggestions are very much appreciated as always.

You're right about Silloth. Sorry, Scott. It would've surprised me if it wasn't since I have heard nothing but great things. It certainly looks wonderful in the photos. As for Brora, when I finally make it over there to play, Dornoch is second only to TOC for what I want to see the most. When I go there to the highlands, however, I would feel cheated if I didn't take the time to see Brora.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 01:36:58 PM »

David

Silloth is in there at no. 48 (I think). Can't remember if Brora was in.

Sean,

Can't agree with you on Gullane 1 although I do agree that there is perhaps better courses not on the list. Not sure if you are suggesting binning Donegal, but if so totally agree. I also agree that Strandhill is a lot of fun.

There is a whole host of courses which I would add, in Ayrshire there would be Prestwick St Nicks, Darnley, Lochgreen.

East coast there would be Craigielaw, any of the Gullane courses, Luffness and Longniddry (those two by rep as I haven't played them although I have landed on Luffness playing at Gullane.

All of those I think are fairly obvious. One course which I think is worth a shout as it comes from Cumbria, an area that doesn't get much mention unless we're talking about Silloth, and that course is Carlisle. Its got a heathland/moorland feel to it with some realy interesting and varied holes on it with one of the best short par 3's that I've played. Used as an Open qualifier. Two things I would recommend about it, is that it is definitely a summer course and that even for a mdest hitter like me you would want to play of the back tees.

Niall

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 01:46:28 PM »
Brora was very close to being in, it was #99 in 2006 but dropped out for 2008. Golf World did not list 101-200 in any order for 2008.

Tenby is the only course I think that has been in the top 100 that is no longer 200. It must be for the changes they made some years back.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Martin Toal

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 01:48:43 PM »

You're right about Silloth. Sorry, Scott. It would've surprised me if it wasn't since I have heard nothing but great things. It certainly looks wonderful in the photos.

david

I lived in Cumbria for 3 years and was a member of Silloth-on-Solway during that time and for a few years after. It is a delightful course with many great and sometimes quirky features. On a light wind day, you can score very well, but with the wind up, it is a good test for any man.

Also a very friendly club. I visited on a recce in the area while looking for somewhere to live, and was only 3 or 4 holes into a round with some locals when I had a proposer and seconder for membership arranged, and the paperwork was completed in the bar afterwards.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 02:08:50 PM »
Scott, also look at http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/uk.asp

Anything they list in their "Gem" category (i.e. not ranked, but still good) is usually the kind of course that gets lots of talk here.

Also see http://www.finegolf.co.uk/, which was mentioned in Sean's Northamptonshire County thread.  (I saw you there, so you may already have seen it.)

Ash Towe

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 03:02:19 PM »
If you were in Yorkshire I would suggest-

Moortown
Ilkley
Fulford

Moortown has appeared on a few lists but has dropped off in recent times.

Scott Warren

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 03:04:09 PM »
Thanks Ash,

Moortown had piqued my interest. My society is holding its annual Open there next March. Might be one to tie in with Alwoodley and Ganton.

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 03:21:09 PM »
In Scotland, I would add Fortrose & Rosemarkie, a wonderful James Braid links course set out on a peninsula, with some of the firmest fairways anywhere.  Not long at 5800 yards, but you will use every club, and need a very good bump and run game to score. 

Also, Tain, Golspie, and further south, Kilspindie in East Lothian. 

Then there is the elephant in the room - Castle Stuart - sure to be on the list next time - and quite high up I would guess.

I agree that Brora is a gem not to be missed.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 03:24:56 PM »
South East clubs;

Knole Park and Wilderness both in Sevenoaks and a £5'ish cab ride from the station.

Crowborough Beacon - again near a station.

Royal Ashdown Forest (poss just in top 100) and Piltdown both bunkerless

Tandridge decent course and famous for it's lunch

Littlestone which isn't top 100 but in there or there abouts
Cave Nil Vino

Giles Payne

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 03:32:26 PM »
I agree with Kilspindie - its short but great fun.

Hankley Common, West Hill, Beaconsfield and Trevose are all good if not greats. I also enjoyed Goswick and Sheringham.

My must play if you haven't got there is Ganton.

I am biased as a member but I agree with Sean and think that Huntercombe is worth a visit!

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 03:46:19 PM »
Thanks guys.

RAF, Hankley, West Hill are all on the top 100 list.

Might need to look into Huntercombe.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »
www.knoleparkgolfclub.co.uk

Twenty minutes from London Bridge by train Knole is one of the nicest places to play golf in the south east, from their website;

Unique amongst golf courses in the United Kingdom, Knole Park Golf Club is located within 1000 acres of outstanding parkland, home to the finest deer herd in the South East. Knole House, one of the greatest National Trust properties in the country, together with Knole Park itself, provides the perfect backdrop to this challenging course that was designed by J Abercromby in consultation with James Braid and has been enjoyed by its members and visitors since 1924.
Cave Nil Vino

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 04:04:08 PM »
To make room, courses I know that I would chuck out

Belfry                         Yep
New Zealand               Tough but fair
Worplesdon                 You da man

Hunstanton                  Howl.  Q What have you got against it?  The last 13 holes put it up there. Great Club.

Can't comment on others.

Others of merit which I think contend for spots, but the courses I would ditch are more a matter of preference than quality - if I listed them you lot would howl - tee hee.       Why stop when you're (almost) on a roll?

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:19:02 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »
Scott check out eBay you can often pick up a copy of The Times Guide to Golf Courses of Britain& Ireland.   It's been out of print for a couple of years now but it was edited by Mark Rowlinson and included a few continental courses as a bonus.  The type of course you're looking for (Doak 4/5 and above?) are all highlighted with a short write up.  My understanding is the clubs provided the write up but Mark choose which got the green background indicating an interesting course.

Sean at the front of the book Mark selects and provides longer write ups for 50 courses, including Hunstanton.   You might want to argue with me but surely you're not questioning Marks judgment? ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:18:47 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 04:32:05 PM »
Thanks Ash,

Moortown had piqued my interest. My society is holding its annual Open there next March. Might be one to tie in with Alwoodley and Ganton.

Scott
I live close to Leeds.  If you want a guide round any of those three next March I'd be happy to oblige.  Have a word at BUDA if you are interested.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 05:01:03 PM »
Wow, I went back and added Brora to my list as I assumed it was included.  This is a no-brainer and and doesn't reflect well on the Golf World panel.  

Niall & Tony

MY real list of GB&I courses I think are really special and thus, as I see it should be included in any ranking of top 100 is currently only 34 courses and that list varies significantly from my favourites.  There are a great many on these lists I don't think are really that special or remarkable.  To be honest, I don't think there are 100 courses in GB&I that are rankable in the way they are done for these lists - there is a lot of padding out.  

FYI - Both Donegal and Hunstanton wouldn't make my list (which is subject to change without warning), but Donegal knocks louder at the door than does Hunstanton, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with Hunstanton - it just isn't special in my estimation.  

Ciao

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 05:30:18 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Scott Warren

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 05:17:24 PM »
Thanks Ash,

Scott
I live close to Leeds.  If you want a guide round any of those three next March I'd be happy to oblige.  Have a word at BUDA if you are interested.

Cheers, I will do.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back