News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

Inniscrone or Pine Hill?
« on: September 09, 2009, 09:44:20 PM »
What is the recommendation between the two of these for a extra round this weekend for the Walker Cup?

I have only played one Hanse course (Tall Grass)  but I am intrigued by the pictures of Pine Hill and given its sandy soil and close proximity to Pine Valley.

What would you guys recommend?  I am very open minded and just want to see something good.  I am driving up from DC.

Kyle Harris

Re: Inniscrone or Pine Hill?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:46:50 PM »
Inniscrone.

Pine Hill is just too much wasted potential. There is a great stretch on the back nine, but the front nine with it's extended walks from green to tee do not make up for it.

Inniscrone has enough "just on that side of crazy" holes to keep you interested and the better holes at Inniscrone are better than the best holes at Pine Hill.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 12:27:48 AM »
Chip:

I'll give you another choice -- head to Scotland Run in Williamstown, NJ. The Stephen Kay layout gets little fanfare -- although many locals know of it quite well. Scotland Run has an imaginative routing and a deeper more consistent set of holes than either of the two courses.

Pine Hill had huge upside potential --- it failed to deliver it all. No doubt there are some solid holes there -- the uphill par-4 9th and the downhill par-4 10 -- are aguably the best back-to-back par-4 holes in all of Jersey public golf.

Inniscrone is a fine layout but I do take issue that it has better top tier holes than Pine Hill. I see it the other way -- Inniscrone has less dog holes than Pine Hill and the NJ-based layout wasted a piece of property that could have been much, much better. Inniscrone is fun to play but if I held it against the likes of Scotland Run I'd take the Jersey product by the slightest of margins.

Chip, one other thing -- SR is also on the way up from DC and very e-z to get to play when driving.

Karl Bernetich

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 12:34:23 PM »
Is it too late to recommend another course ?
Might want to consider The Golf Course at Glenn Mills.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 12:44:39 PM »
I like Scotland Run too...and the brunch is superb, $18 for all the trimmings, including omelette station.

I'll play Inniscrone later this month and let you know, Chip.  I know a lot of the guys like Deerfield.

Hey!  What about Lederach?!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 03:21:34 PM »
Play Glen Mills if you aren't already.

WW

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 03:52:33 PM »
If you are only considering PH or Inniscrone, I lean toward Scrone.  I like the uniqueness of some of the holes there, while I do like the back nine at PH much.  I'm pretty sure you will find things to like at either place.

But PH is much more expensive.  Take the money you save at Inniscrone and use it for lunch or dinner at my favorite cheap authentic Mexican restaurant along the way, El Sombrero.  You'll likely see it on 41S not long after you exit Route 1.  :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 04:24:14 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 04:10:13 PM »
Joe: You could buy the foursome lunch with the savings.

Karl Bernetich

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 07:23:03 AM »
With today's weather, the better question might be ...

Who has the better card game !

Gotta go to a private for that.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 04:24:04 PM »
Gotta go with Inniscrone and this weather stinks.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back