News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan_Callahan

TPC Boston
« on: September 06, 2009, 10:59:37 AM »
I went to the Deutsche Bank yesterday for my first visit to the TPC Boston.

The course was received horribly when it debuted. It gained in popularity after the Hanse renovations.

I have to say that in person, this is one of the most interesting new courses I have seen in a long time. There are some great holes out there, and some very cool bunkers and greens.

One of the most interesting aspects of the course is the use of visual deception on some holes. For example, on 4 and 9 there are bunkers that, from a distance, look like they are side by side. As you get closer to the green, you realize there is actually 50-100 yards between them. Same is true in some spots with bunkers that look like they are sitting right next to the green but are, in fact, well short of of it.

I wasn't a big fan of some of the mounding down the left side of 14, but it didn't make me want to puke either.

There seemed to be plenty of room off the tee for the typical member, but I am always blown away by how good the pros are. The 13th tee is cut so far back into the woods and up a hill that players were shuttled to it. There is a 250-yard carry to reach a 30-yard-wide fairway. I didn't see a see a single player have any problem with that shot. Balls were landing on a slight upslope and getting very little roll. The hole is 480 yards. And Tiger hit a 9-iron into that green to make birdie.

I am not a short hitter, and I am usually pretty straight with my driver. I can't even comprehend the kinds of shots these guys were hitting. Even the little guys like Tim Clark can get it out there with a subtle 5-yard draw. And all of them have the pure sound of contact with their irons that I can only hope to make once or twice a summer. It is very humbling to view in person, something I am reminder of every time I go to a Tour event.

Cliff Hamm

Re: TPC Boston
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 11:17:24 AM »
Dan...From a spectator's point of view how did you find the course?  I have gone every year and have attended numerous pro events and this is the worst venue ever for spectators.  Congestion at the bridges, few spots in the shade around greens, and worst of all a plethora of corporate bleachers.  These are mainly empty until Tiger comes through and then they empty out again.  It just seems that for a TPC course that it is absolutely awful for the fan.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 11:42:27 AM »
Just looking at it selfishly, I loved the site for spectators. There was a tremendous amount of congestion around the par 3 16th. Corporate tents everywhere, walkways brought to a standstill, etc. But around the periphery of the venue, you could get to spots where you were the only person out there. I got to a few places where I was practically on the tee directly behind the players with a view straight down the fairway (10 and 14 were like this). It didn't have a spot like 15-18 at TPC River Highlands where you could see multiple holes from one spot. But I was very impressed with how close you could get to the action. In recent years it seemed like River Highlands and Westchester were pushing spectators farther and farther from the playing areas.

Also, I have to say that the volunteers and workers were the most pleasant people ever. Might sound trivial, but it makes a huge difference. From parking to asking how to get from point A to point B to buying a burger and a beer, the people there couldn't have been friendlier. On the tee, the marshalls and others would come over and chat and talk about the shots previous players had hit. It was great. Next year I will definitely bring my kids.

My biggest complaint was something you mentioned. There is almost no shade on the course. It was BLAZING hot standing on some of the tees. A few times, the guys I was with took a break and camped out under the trees along 13 before we melted. One of the great things about Westchester, and something I clearly took for granted, was all of the huge trees on the course. easy to find a spot to watch the action that was also out of the direct sunlight. After 9 hours on the course, I was dying to get into an air-conditioned car.

Also, the walk from the shuttle to the course was much longer than I expected. I didn't mind, but something to think about on the way out with tired kids.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:57:31 PM »
Dan...thanks for the reply.  So much for cutting all the trees on courses 8)  My wife has two knee replacements.  Love to go to tournaments with her as we get the handicap bus which brings you all the way in to the course ;D  Maybe I'll end up going tomorrow...

Todd Howes

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 02:00:07 PM »
I went to the Deutsche Bank yesterday for my first visit to the TPC Boston.

The course was received horribly when it debuted. It gained in popularity after the Hanse renovations.

I have to say that in person, this is one of the most interesting new courses I have seen in a long time. There are some great holes out there, and some very cool bunkers and greens.

One of the most interesting aspects of the course is the use of visual deception on some holes. For example, on 4 and 9 there are bunkers that, from a distance, look like they are side by side. As you get closer to the green, you realize there is actually 50-100 yards between them. Same is true in some spots with bunkers that look like they are sitting right next to the green but are, in fact, well short of of it.

I wasn't a big fan of some of the mounding down the left side of 14, but it didn't make me want to puke either.

There seemed to be plenty of room off the tee for the typical member, but I am always blown away by how good the pros are. The 13th tee is cut so far back into the woods and up a hill that players were shuttled to it. There is a 250-yard carry to reach a 30-yard-wide fairway. I didn't see a see a single player have any problem with that shot. Balls were landing on a slight upslope and getting very little roll. The hole is 480 yards. And Tiger hit a 9-iron into that green to make birdie.

I am not a short hitter, and I am usually pretty straight with my driver. I can't even comprehend the kinds of shots these guys were hitting. Even the little guys like Tim Clark can get it out there with a subtle 5-yard draw. And all of them have the pure sound of contact with their irons that I can only hope to make once or twice a summer. It is very humbling to view in person, something I am reminder of every time I go to a Tour event.

I love TPC Boston.  I've never been to the Tour event, but have played it 4 times.  Twice before the redesign, and twice after.  I was completely blown away after the redesign.  The bunkering and mounding is fantastic, and the 4th hole was done very well.  The tees on #13 are never back in the woods when we play.  It is a 380 yard par 4 for us, nothing spectacular.  I'd like to play it back there to test my wits and length to see if I can reach the fairway.  Will be watching all afternoon today!

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 04:58:17 PM »
How much elevation change on the last holes(16,17 and 18).It looks from TV like the fairway on 18 runs out?Is everyone hitting drivers?Seems like all the second shots are similar and the green is kind of perched.Please give me the naked eye facts. Golf tornament watching takes some work,but it is unique in how close you can get.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back