News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

The Caddies of Merion
« on: September 06, 2009, 10:34:50 AM »
They will be used for the Walker Cup:

www.philly.com/philly/news/local/57578527.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

TEPaul

Re: The Caddies of Merion
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 11:43:04 AM »
Good article and I concur that Merion caddies are some of the best I've ever seen anywhere, particularly if you are playing Merion East. There is an inordinate amount of local knowledge with that course particularly where not to go (I saw that first hand in US Amateur qualifying with that Long John Hurley (a guy who arguable has one of the highest ball speeds in the world); I told him I would try to find him a really good caddie because if he tried to completely overpower that golf course he could get himself into a world of hurt. He did get himself into world of hurt in qualifying at Merion East)).

On the other hand, there is probably something of a trade-off for some of the Walker Cup players such as Nathan Smith. Nathan is from Pennsylvania and over the years every time I have ever seen him play his father was on his bag. Obviously they know each other on the course like hand-in-glove and I guess there must be real comfort in that for Nathan. At the Walker Cup I doubt it's permissible for his Dad to carry for him but Nathan is a remarkably cerebral player and consequently a rock-solid "course manager" and so, at this point, if he can't manage his own game about as well with a Merion caddie and without his Dad on his bag I doubt he would even be on the 2009 US Walker Cup team.  ;)

Dean Stokes

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 02:36:41 PM »
Surely if you earn your way onto the Walker Cup team, you cannot be told who is going to caddy for you.

I know I would want the freedom to have who i wanted on my bag. It would probably be my brother and he would not be earning $800 for three days  ;D

I wonder how these young players are affording to pay the Merion caddies that amount of money when they are mainly college kids without jobs ;)
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 02:42:45 PM »
Dean:

The Walker Cup or USGA can now handle various player expenses on something like this within amateur status rules. Yeah, Merion, like some others such as PV are pretty much in the camp that players even in competitions use the Merion caddies and not their own. A point was made above about the foursome format and that kind of thing with one's own caddie.

Jason Walker

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 03:04:02 PM »
When I was at Royal County Down in July the caddies there were convinced the GB&I's decision to use their own--and the USA's decision to use the RCD caddies--played an instrumental role in the outcome due to the overall lack of familiarity of the course with both teams.

Mark Kinney

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 09:27:31 PM »
Surely if you earn your way onto the Walker Cup team, you cannot be told who is going to caddy for you.

I know I would want the freedom to have who i wanted on my bag. It would probably be my brother and he would not be earning $800 for three days  ;D

I wonder how these young players are affording to pay the Merion caddies that amount of money when they are mainly college kids without jobs ;)

Dean,

When I caddied in the 06 Curtis Cup at Pacific Dunes, we were paid by the USGA.  The $800 they are being paid could easily be half of what each could make during a normal week.  I know that the "paycut" was worth it to me for the fantastic experience that I had.

To ensure "fairness" for the players the caddies were randomly assigned to a particular player.  I was lucky enough to caddie for Amanda Blumenhurst.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 09:55:43 PM »
As much as I like the golf course, this may be the best thing about Merion:

No range finders, no marked sprinkler heads, the caddies are expected to know the distance from every piece of the property.

Oh yeah, one more thing: No Carts!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 08:12:49 AM »
I'm assuming this 1921 Philadelphia Inquirer article is accurate when it says the 1922 Walker Cup at NGLA is the first time the USGA would pay some expenses of the American players (click on the article to enlarge it).

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back