News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Taconic Summer 2008, Before Gil Hanse' Work
« on: September 05, 2009, 07:20:07 PM »
Let's see how this goes...

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/buffalogolfer/?action=view&current=184c7640.pbw&evt=user_media_share

If you click and see 100 images from Taconic, hooray!  If it works, I'll do this for myriad other courses I've played these last few years (including Leatherstocking, Pete Dye, The Orchards, et al.)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Blain

Re: Taconic Summer 2008, Before Gil Hanse' Work
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 09:45:47 AM »
Ron,

I played Taconic a couple of weeks ago. I've always loved the course and consider it one of the more enjoyable courses I've ever played. The setting alone is worth the trip. As crazy as it sounds the course didn't look a whole lot different to me than it did in 2007 before Gil restored it. I"m sure the main reason is that it was was only my fourth round ever there and first post restoration. The biggest difference, in my opinion, was the lengthening of some of the holes particularly 16 which now plays about 475 uphill and into the prevailing wind and 17 which was playing 245 from the new back tee. Apparently they restored all the bunkers including taking some out and adding a few, took out 1,000 trees, did a lot of drainge work, many new cart paths and a nice new practice putting green right out the pro shop door. Overall I think the course looks great and there are plenty of good reasons to check out Taconic. Sorry I don't have any before/after pics... 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 12:54:45 PM »
JP,
Did they add the new back tee at 18?  16 should be a par five and 1 should be a par four at Taconic.  16 is a bear.  17 may be one of the all-time great half-par holes, especially at 245.  It plays as I imagine the 10th at Winged Foot played for Casper when he won there...lay up, pitch and putt...easy par.  'cepting of course, that wickedly sloped green at Taconic.  Has a table-top on it, if I recall correctly.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Blain

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 05:59:53 PM »
Ron,

I'm not sure about a new tee on eighteen. Like I said I just haven't played there enough but if I had to guess I would say that it was a new tee that we played. Last time I played there I almost got home with two good shots and this time with two solid shots I was about twenty yards short and the conditions were about the same...
I understand what you are saying about #1 and #16 but they extended the back tee on #1 so I have to say it is a legit par five and a nice breather to start the round. On #16 I got home with a solid drive and a five wood and I'm not a long hitter by any stretch. I drive it about 250 yards. I think it's a stout par 4 but would be a weak par five. Just my opinion. It actually plays about as long as the thirteenth at Crag Burn from the very back tee.

Speaking of Taconic apparently they are having real problems with their greens. I saw on their website that they currently have four temporary greens in play....

As far as college courses go how would you compare Taconic to Seven Oaks? I know they are totally different but which do you prefer?

Thanks.
John

John Blain

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 06:59:45 PM »
Ron,

It was actually the third hole at Winged Foot (west) where Billy Casper laid up every round in the 1959 US Open. I believe he made par all four rounds.... :)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 08:22:38 PM »
1.  Thanks for the correction on the lay-up hole...I never could understand why he would lay up on a sub-200 yard hole.  Now it makes sense, with three playing between 220 and 245, depending on your source.

2.  I was pleasantly surprised by Seven Oaks this summer.  It begins with two killer greens that you can't imagine were designed by RTJ Senior.  It has a pleasant openness and a lack of dependence on water not often found on his courses.  There are a few holes where the agua comes into play.  However, he showed incredible restraint in leaving it parallel to 18, and not forcing it in as a crossing hazard.  Excluding the one goofball par five (an apparently common RTJ Senior feature), #7, the course is fair and inspiring.  It is a tie in my mind between the two courses.  I can't rate one higher than the other, although if pushed, I might bump Taconic through due to the fact that it has no weak holes and even less intrusion by water.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Blain

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 09:51:16 PM »
Ron,

Seven Oaks is my home course so I am a little biased but I also love Taconic. I think they are very different and I would break it up this way:

- Taconic has better bunkering and more character.
- Seven Oaks is conditioned better. They had the best fairways and greens of any club or course I played this year.
- Seven Oaks has too many blue spruce's that take away from the original architecture. Cut down the pines(especially up 18 where they are covering a beautiful creek), grow some native grasses and it could really be special.
- They are both simple to walk.
- Seven Oaks is a tougher course but that is open for discussion with Taconic's new tees!
- They are both fun to play.
- Crag Burn is better than both of them!

-John

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 10:03:30 PM »
Are you related to the pro, Marian Blain?

I agree about the Oaks' conditioning.  It was fantastic.  Crag Burn doesn't have the goofy par five to work against it, but it fails the vertical test...what a flat piece of land!!!   Imagine if the first hole at Crag Burn could run downhill and the ninth and eighteenth could rise to a terrific finish!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Blain

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 08:29:21 AM »
Ron,

I am related to the head pro at Seven Oaks. She is my better half!

I realize Crag Burn is "vertically challenged" but to me it is still a great course and a great place. It's my favorite club in upstate New York.

-John

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 08:35:09 AM »
Funny, she said the same thing...about Crag Burn (ha ha ha)...no, about you.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back