News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cristian

The Best Mowing heights on (push-up) Greens surrounds.
« on: September 04, 2009, 09:00:36 AM »
Is there a general rule of thumb that works for all courses?

Should apron height flow all the way into the bunkers and to the base of the green sites?

Does the type of course make a difference? links vs Parkland vs Heathand or Clay/Soil based vs Sand based?

Should the mowing heights always be consistent thoroughout the course or could one differentiate per hole?

Most on this site advocate short mowing heights, but are there 'legal' exceptions?

some examples from other threads:

(Walton Heath thread- Scott Warren)

(Valley Club of M. thread by David Stamm)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:54:53 PM by Cristian Willaert »

Joe Hancock

Re: Mowing heights on (push-up) Greens surrounds.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 09:51:58 AM »
Cristian,

I don't think rules of thumb work everywhere. That's why the superintendent is so valuable...he or she can become familiar with the environmental challenges and assets of the course, then implement a plan that works in the best way possible.

There are efficiencies and practicalities that need to happen in maintenance. Varying mowing heights of similar areas from one location to another on the same course isn't practical. One needs to utilize practices that combine playability with turf health throughout the course.

Shade, poor drainage, etc. are all things that limit what mowing heights and such are implemented. Fortunately, these are things that can be modified once, correctly, vs. changing mowers or mowing heights on a daily basis.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

David_Tepper

Re: Mowing heights on (push-up) Greens surrounds.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 11:10:41 AM »
Cristian -

The majority of the greens at Royal Dornoch are pushed up and/or elevated in one way or another. Most of the slopes are mown to apron heights and you can either chip or putt. However, some of the steeper slopes are kept at a longer length, similar to the 1st cut of fairway rough. This might be because they are harder to mow due to their steepness. Trying to chip up these slopes is very difficult, as you never know what find of first bounce you will get in the longer grass.

DT 

Cristian

Re: Best Mowing heights on (push-up) Greens surrounds.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 06:56:57 PM »
Cristian,

I don't think rules of thumb work everywhere. That's why the superintendent is so valuable...he or she can become familiar with the environmental challenges and assets of the course, then implement a plan that works in the best way possible.

There are efficiencies and practicalities that need to happen in maintenance. Varying mowing heights of similar areas from one location to another on the same course isn't practical. One needs to utilize practices that combine playability with turf health throughout the course.

Shade, poor drainage, etc. are all things that limit what mowing heights and such are implemented. Fortunately, these are things that can be modified once, correctly, vs. changing mowers or mowing heights on a daily basis.

Joe

I assume that poor drainage and shade/limited light can thus hamper grass growth, so that it is necessary, especially outside summer season to grow the grass longer. Is this what you mean? If this does not limit your choices which would be the ideal set of mowing heights around greens? (not counting rough and green itself)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 06:26:42 AM by Cristian Willaert »

Norbert P

Re: The Best Mowing heights on (push-up) Greens surrounds.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 07:11:34 PM »
CW,  I don't think there's an absolute numerical answer for you to abide by.  Depending on your grass species/cultivar and how you want the ball to react interdepends upon soil, slope, compaction, traffic, irrigation practices, exposure, etc.  Perhaps you have a severe slope that runs 30 yards from the green toward the fairway and you don't want the ball running all that way down to the divot factory, then the grass needs some length to control that.

My preference is the chipping / putting option game around the greens but I see most players use a lobby wedge from 5 feet off the green.  I guess it comes down to the clientele though if it was my place . . . .  "I'll tell you what you want !!!"   

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Cristian

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 07:21:15 PM »
CW,  I don't think there's an absolute numerical answer for you to abide by.  Depending on your grass species/cultivar and how you want the ball to react interdepends upon soil, slope, compaction, traffic, irrigation practices, exposure, etc.  Perhaps you have a severe slope that runs 30 yards from the green toward the fairway and you don't want the ball running all that way down to the divot factory, then the grass needs some length to control that.

My preference is the chipping / putting option game around the greens but I see most players use a lobby wedge from 5 feet off the green.  I guess it comes down to the clientele though if it was my place . . . .  "I'll tell you what you want !!!"  

The course I'm thinking of is on a flat site with pushed up greens; Soil is a mixture of mostly clay and some sand; some green sites are more exposed to sunlight than others, outside summer the surrounds can get rather moist on some green sites. The greens have interesting contours sloping away to fairway level, but none are more than a yard raised above the level of the fairway. I feel the contours would have much more effect if the slopes would be mowed down to apron or fairway length, but am not sure, given the soil and shade on our course, how it would work in our local climate (moderate sea climate; Oregon type weather, I guess).

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 11:15:47 AM »
Cristean - best heights for the grass is usually higher than what golfers want, but depending on the seasons, if you are looking for numbers, the average best height for greens would be 4mm, under good conditions for tournaments 3mm would be a good yardstick, during the periods out of season you could go up to 6mm even 6.5mm in Northern Europe. For your next cut, the collars and aprons think 6mm when your at 3 for your greens, 7mm when your at 4. 12mm is pretty short for fairways. As most have already indicated its the superintendents call and you need to rely on their knowledge when and for how long to go low.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back