News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Old White
« on: September 06, 2009, 07:40:37 AM »
I just played the revamped OW and loved it.  It's a course I could play for the rest of my life.  The Raynor/Mac greens complexes are rich in variation, oddity and character.  The Barritz, Mounds, Redan and Eden holes are superb.  Not so great are the Punchbowl and Alps.  Ending the course on Short is a little bit of a head-scratcher too.  I scored well, played the course in just a few hours and had a ton of fun.  How in the world are the pros going to play here???  Scores are likely to be 30-40 under!  What do others think?

JC

cary lichtenstein

Re: Old White
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 08:44:15 AM »
Me too, pure fun
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Ray Cross

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 12:23:29 PM »
This issue was a topic on here a few weeks ago (right after the Tour announced the 2010 event at The Greenbrier). See the Search function for Lester George's response to this concern about extra low scores.

Ray

ChipOat

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
I started a thread on the Old While in early 2003 where I allowed as how I was more impressed with Lester George's work than Macdonald's diluted effort.  The consensus was that 1) Macdonald toned it down because it was a resort course and/or 2) unlike The Creek, NGLA, Piping Rock, etc., CBM was only there once so the actual construction may have been short of his original intention.  The latter is hard to believe if Raynor was still his crew chief.

Either way, if someone knows how to find the thread, Lester George weighed in on that one, too. 

Paul Carey

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 08:51:12 AM »
Here is a link to the previous thread about Old White, the PGA Tour and Lester George's comments:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40889.0/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back