News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel Zuckerman

Worthwhile golf NEAR Kohler
« on: September 03, 2009, 08:05:38 PM »
On my way for an encore visit to Destination Kohler next week.  There might be a hole in my itinerary, and God forbid I take the time off to work out, go to the spa, tour the factory, etc.  No--it must be golf and more golf!  So--Does anyone have a suggestion as to a very worthwhile GC that is close by--within 30 minutes of Kohler?  If one exists, perhaps we'll slot it in the itinerary for Saturday morning before an afternoon tee time at The Straits.  Thanks for the insight...

Ron Csigo

Re: Worthwhile golf NEAR Kohler
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 08:10:33 PM »
The Bull at Pinehurst Farms (Nicklaus course) is closer to Kohler.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Keith Buntrock

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 08:28:47 PM »
I would agree with The Bull. It is literally a 5 minute drive from Blackwolf Run and the best course in the vicinity outside of Kohler. I'm playing the Straits tomorrow, I can let you know how it is playing if you'd like.

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 09:39:04 PM »
Lawsonia is SO worth the drive. I could play there every day for weeks on end without wanting to leave.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 09:56:26 PM »
Which GC is the preferred venue at Lawsonia?  Links or Woodlands?

mark chalfant

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 10:06:34 PM »
Joel,

Links, a true masterpiece by William Langford, is the one to see and I totally agree with Dave and Ed.  Especially with your avid interest in Pete and Alice Dye, as the Links Course has some bold features that have affinities with some of the Dye's early work

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:07:40 PM »
I'd work out.  Koehler has a great gym.

Well, maybe I wouldn't.  Lawsonia does sound appealing.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 10:40:01 PM »
Well, Lawsonia is certainly worth the drive -- the Links course, that is.

Closer, and funky, if not of the caliber of Lawsonia, is Quit-Qui-Oc, an old Bendelow, in the resort town of Elkhart Lake, quite closer to Sheboygan. Small greens, interesting use of the land -- a new nine was added about 10 years ago, but the old 18 is worth a play.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 11:48:09 PM »
If you're willing to drive an hour then Erin Hills is  good option as well.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 08:59:54 AM »
If it were me I would take in the River Wildlife Club at Kohler (hunt, fish, ride) and get a great lunch in the cabin before heading over to play golf instead of running around to get to Lawsonia or Erin Hills. The Bull isn't worth the money or time IMO
H.P.S.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 10:45:55 AM »
In Kohler, I've played Whistling Straits & the River course.  I would opt for Lawsonia over either of these even without considering price.  When you factor in price, Lawsonia Links has to be one of the best values there is - $35 to walk!.

I'm not sure how long the trip will actually take, but suspect it's more like 1.5 hours so it may not work for your schedule.  From what I hear, don't try to make up any time in the Green Lake area.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37022.0/

Brent Carlson

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 06:25:32 PM »
Like everyone else said.  Lawsonia links is phenomenal.  It's an interesting style that you would enjoy.  The course plays pretty firm and open, but the soil is not sandy.  L&M had a great style in my opinion.  Give it a shot!!

Mike McGuire

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 10:42:29 PM »
Pine Hills (Sheboygan CC) (private) is 2 minutes from the River course. A must play. Spectacular terrain, cool greens, a hidden gem.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back