News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael J. Moss

DeVries at Sunningdale (Scarsdale, NY) hole 7
« on: August 24, 2009, 11:34:55 AM »
This hole used to be a par-5 version of the Road Hole. Today, I'd say the green complex is a variant of the Road Hole complex, but the tee-shot does not require clearing an obstacle on the right to shorten the line, but hopefully Mr. DeVries will add some color. I'm getting repetitive but this green really is great fun. Front bowl is benign birdie postion, though I saw some Met Amateur qualifiers make a mess of it when they were here. Back pins can be wild, especially when placed right above the ridge.

Player's view from back tee, which faces player towards woods - a bit unsettling - but there is more room than it appears. 6th fairway on left. Also, back tee is lower than members' tee.

View in the landing area in front of two cross bunkers. (One on right is mostly cut off.)

Closeup of right bunker built into ridge.

View from right side, about 110 yds. from green.

View from just below "road hole bunker." The stone structure is old base for a water tower. Highest point on the golf course. Unfortunately, roof was positioned mid-span, detracting from the beauty of the arches. We will move the roof to the top of the structure eventually.

Green lies on 45 degree angle to line of play. Balls hit sightly left will feed into bunker from previous image.

View from front right approach. Image shows front bowl and larger rear shelf with cool "thumb-print" on left just above rise.

From rear of green looking back down fairway.

Looking back towards 5th green from 7th green.

Michael J. Moss

Re: DeVries at Sunningdale (Scarsdale, NY) hole 7
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »
Should have included this... View of 7th green (in background) from 5th green.

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 11:52:35 AM »
Oooops! Mandatory deduction! Sorry about that. 7th green from 5th green.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 03:57:14 PM »
Mike,
Thanks for posting these photos and explanations of the 7th hole. 

I will wait for questions from the gallery and am curious about opinions from those who have played the new holes.  Do you like or dislike certain ones more than others?  I know on the another thread someone mentioned how much they liked the 11th.  Just for a refresher, hole 11, 12, 13T, 14G, 15T was done in the fall of 2007.  Holes 5, 6, 7 were done in the fall of 2008.

Looking forward to more discussion!
Mike

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 11:13:38 PM »
Was the 7th green re-contoured?

As I recall, it was a bit wicked without any changes.

Just to make sure I'm recalling correctly, this is the hole where there was a sand color test, with at least one of the new bunkers?

Michael, Great write up and pictorial. Keep'em coming. Don't let any lack of response deter you, either. Us uneducated wanna be geeks need these threads more than what's your favorite_____(insult).
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 10:27:01 PM »
Mike,

Can you post the "google aerial view ?

I love that stone structure, it gives the course unique character.

The unfortunate part is that green contours and slopes don't photo that well.

The "Road Hole" makes a great template hole even if there are nuanced differences.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 07:23:37 PM »
Was the 7th green re-contoured?

As I recall, it was a bit wicked without any changes.

Just to make sure I'm recalling correctly, this is the hole where there was a sand color test, with at least one of the new bunkers?

Michael, Great write up and pictorial. Keep'em coming. Don't let any lack of response deter you, either. Us uneducated wanna be geeks need these threads more than what's your favorite_____(insult).

Adam,
The green is completely rebuilt, reworked to encompass the original right to left diagonal and front portion of the green, albeit now with a level change to accommodate the height change and increased speeds on the greens.  It is the hole with the sand color test.

Sorry for the delay in response!
Mike

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
One of the most interesting greens I've experienced this year.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back