News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

Re: The Idaho Club - SandPoint, ID with Pics.
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 08:00:07 PM »
The pics make this course look a slight tick better than Tamarack, but only by a nose.

The only other course I've played in ID is Falcon Crest south of Boise, which was decent, but not as good as all mentioned before.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2009, 08:06:26 PM »
...because of all the good features ...

What's the big deal? These unspecified good features?

Melvyn's quote below says a course like this is the "can kill the thrill of a game of golf stone dead".
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jason McNamara

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2009, 08:11:36 PM »
Jason,

I know water on the course is not a hugely popular GCA.com tenet....but the water on this course is not out of place one bit.  The entire area in Northern Idaho is chock full of lakes, streams, rivers, ponds, low lying marshes, etc.  Seattle and Portland aren't the only ones that get all that moisture off the Pacific.

But don't take my word for it, go look at Google Maps and you will see this is very representative of the entire sub-region.

Actually I checked on Google Earth before I posted.  Gozzer, Circling Raven, and Black Rock all have hardly any water.  Hell, the CdA resort course has far less water, and it's got that floating green!  (Btw, the same also applies to Indian Canyon, Palouse Ridge, Wilderness Club, Stock Farm, etc.)

I am sure you're right there's plenty of water up there, but generally there's not that much of it on a golf course.

Paging Bill Satterfield, who according to his blog was just there a couple weeks ago.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2009, 08:17:15 PM »
...because of all the good features ...

What's the big deal? These unspecified good features?

Melvyn's quote below says a course like this is the "can kill the thrill of a game of golf stone dead".

Garland,
The 9th hole and green is well thought out, same with the 6th. Both of those have been discussed above and I agree. Kalen complemented #5, the 4th hole is a good one in that it looks terrifying from the green but has significantly more short grass than expected although much of it is behind the hole. If you read Kalen's other descriptions there are other worthwhile holes, but I'd place those amongst the better ones. I'm not a huge fan of the closing stretch with all the water, but I don't think its awful either.

Melvyn is obviously entitled to his opinions...but that's all I'm going to say about that.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2009, 08:22:46 PM »
So the 9th is a forced layup par 5, and the 10th looks positively boring.
 ???

6 looks the best of the lot.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:26:31 PM by Bayley R. Garland »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Andy Troeger

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2009, 10:16:40 PM »
So the 9th is a forced layup par 5, and the 10th looks positively boring.
 ???

6 looks the best of the lot.

The 9th is a true risk/reward hole--I could have gotten home in two had I not driven it through the fairway due to not knowing the course. Its by no means a "forced" layup, although most people will play the hole in three shots. For a shorter hitter, its the third shot where the decision will have to be made. As with many holes at Idaho Club, it does make you think.

You can't get the 10th from the photos posted. The drive is to a wide fairway with half of it behind the rock outcropping. Its still playable from the right side, but you have to either hit a high shot or just play left and lay-up. The left side gives a view of the green and the opportunity to get home in two. I hit it behind the rock wall and actually got home anyway but it wasn't a great percentage play. The green is full of contour and rivaled any green at Rock Creek or the other courses on the trip for strategic interest.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2009, 10:15:51 AM »
Jason,

I'm not sure why you're hung up on the water.  The course is located right at the head of Lake Pend Oreille, which is a massive lake,  where the Pack River feeds it. It also sits adjacent to large areas of low lying wetlands and marshes. I get you aren't a fan of water on the golf course, but there is nothing unnatural about the H20 found on this course and if you saw it in person this would be very clear.

Garland,

In the spirit of Pat Mucci, its very difficult to tell any specifics about the course just by looking at pictures.  The 9th and 10th are indeed both very interesting holes with plenty of strategy and heroic shot requirements.  I've played plenty of golf holes in my life and these two are definitly up there on my fav's list, certainly in the par 5 category.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2009, 11:43:31 AM »
...I've played plenty of golf holes in my life and these two are definitly up there on my fav's list, certainly in the par 5 category.

Remember Kalen, I've played golf with you, and frankly you give the impression that everything makes your fav's list.
 ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2009, 12:00:55 PM »
...I've played plenty of golf holes in my life and these two are definitly up there on my fav's list, certainly in the par 5 category.

Remember Kalen, I've played golf with you, and frankly you give the impression that everything makes your fav's list.
 ;D

Garland,

You must also remember that the one and only course you and I played together was hands down one of the best courses I've played.  It easily made my top 10 and was my 2nd favorite on the trip over the likes of Gozzer, Black Rock, Circling Raven, and Idaho Club.

Context...it can be a bitch sometimes!!   ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2009, 12:53:03 PM »

;D

Garland,

You must also remember that the one and only course you and I played together was hands down one of the best courses I've played.  It easily made my top 10 and was my 2nd favorite on the trip over the likes of Gozzer, Black Rock, Circling Raven, and Idaho Club.

Context...it can be a bitch sometimes!!   ;D

Has nothing to do with us being at Wine Valley. My comment was on you being such an upbeat person. (Either that, or you were on drugs. ;) )

Jason McNamara

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2009, 02:48:44 PM »
Jason,

I'm not sure why you're hung up on the water.  The course is located right at the head of Lake Pend Oreille, which is a massive lake,  where the Pack River feeds it. It also sits adjacent to large areas of low lying wetlands and marshes. I get you aren't a fan of water on the golf course, but there is nothing unnatural about the H20 found on this course and if you saw it in person this would be very clear.

I just thought it interesting that while such water features are common in this area, none of the other area courses we typically discuss here has anywhere near as much water.  If bodies of water are as ubiquitous as you say, why don't we see more golf courses built around them to the same extent?  And while I am not opposed to water on a golf course, I guess don't see the need to have it on 14 holes, especially not when there's houses to follow.  I think maybe it's a "how much is too much?" overload thing for me in this case.   Just seems like there's a lot going on here.  My former club had water on 11 holes, but no OB, no roads to cross, and no houses.

I'd probably like the original more, though I am assuming that's the one that went out of business.   :-\  On the other hand, #6 looks very cool, at least until someone plunks a house down on lot B1.

Here's all you need to know, really:
The marketing people are running this show, as evidenced by the fact they refer to the site (on the master plan page) as a "slice of heaven."  What golfer refers to something great as a slice of anything?   ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2009, 03:03:41 PM »
Jason,

The reason that this course has so much water is no different than most other courses which have lots of water on them...because the water was already there and thats where they chose to build the course.  ;D  An an extension to that, I can only logically conclude that other courses in the area don't have water in play because they weren't built right next to existing water.   :D

But several other courses in the area do have several magnificent views of water and/or natural existing water hazards in play...would this be enough evidence that water can indeed be found, in abundance, in the region?  ::)

I can name a few:

Gozzer Ranch, BlackRock, Idaho Club, Couer D' Alene resort, Meadowwood, Avalon Lakes, Creek at Qualchan, Downriver, Hangman Valley, Manito Country Club, Wandermere, Liberty Lake Muni, Twin Lakes, StoneRidge, Priest Lake.....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2009, 03:28:36 PM »
I guess we will just have to call this one the K Club of Idaho.

Let see know if I end up in casual water, I can drop in that GUR. Taking relief there, I can drop next to that sprinkler head. I got a good drop with the ball staying within two club lengths of the drop point, and at last I have a shot!

JJ Washed up.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2009, 04:17:27 PM »
I get that there's plenty of water there.  My last post could be construed as implying otherwise, so sorry about that.  Not my intent.

Do you think the course was built in the optimal location to begin with?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2009, 04:35:17 PM »
I get that there's plenty of water there.  My last post could be construed as implying otherwise, so sorry about that.  Not my intent.

Do you think the course was built in the optimal location to begin with?

Not a problem Jason,

I was mostly just having difficulty understanding the nature of your complaint against the water.  ;)

As far as where the course was built, I thought it was a stunner despite its tough playing nature. In true Huckaby form, I can't really say if the location was optimal because i'm not sure what they had to work with in the beginning.  As for me, it suited my preferences just fine....because at the end of the day if your going to get beat up by a course, it may as well be a gorgeous lass shouldn't it?  ;D

Jason McNamara

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2009, 05:23:52 PM »
Not a problem Jason,

I was mostly just having difficulty understanding the nature of your complaint against the water.  ;)

As far as where the course was built, I thought it was a stunner despite its tough playing nature. In true Huckaby form, I can't really say if the location was optimal because i'm not sure what they had to work with in the beginning.  As for me, it suited my preferences just fine....because at the end of the day if your going to get beat up by a course, it may as well be a gorgeous lass shouldn't it?  ;D

Obviously you've been there, so you can tell me if this is wrong, but given what I assume to the overall generally available nature of land out there*, it seems an unnecessarily difficult parcel was selected.

As for you getting beaten up by gorgeous lasses, what you do on the weekend is your own business.   ;)

* "Out there" in this case = everything between Omaha and the Pacific, excepting Clark / Maricopa / Eagle (& Summit) / Blaine / Teton / Bernalillo counties

EDIT:  Still hoping to hear from Bill S., as this is certainly his stomping ground as well.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2009, 06:29:16 PM »
Jason...I believe the original "resort" was someone's dream, and the land chosen for the golf course was the land he had available.....so he built a course and some log structures, and tried to sell some home sites...about the time Schweitzer Mountain expanded and became a "destination" ski area instead of a big local ski hill, a new owner came along....

I vaguely remember playing there years ago and it was a mediocre, wet, mess...(I hate water hazards!) but the new layout looks better and a lot less mediocre....
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2009, 10:05:31 PM »
Jason, sorry I never jumped on this thread.  I was just sitting at my computer tonight was working on writing a review for my website about the Idaho Club and came across this commentary. 

As far as where it ranks in Idaho, my personal list looks like this:

1.  Gozzer Ranch
2.  Black Rock
3.  Osprey Meadows at Tamarack
4.  Circling Raven
5.  The Idaho Club
6.  Headwaters at Teton Springs

That grouping of Circling Raven, Idaho Club, and Headwaters is all very close for me.  The elevation changes at Circling Raven and Idaho Club are more appealing to me than what is offered at Headwaters.  The new set of holes at The Idaho Club are a huge improvement over the original Hidden Lakes layout.  The bummer is that the final holes of the round are still very similar feeling to the original Hidden Lakes which is a let down after such a dramatic start.  The first 11 holes is a fantastic start but then I was left "wanting" after playing the final seven holes.  My favorite hole was #6 which felt like something from the front nine at Castle Pines to me.  The only hole I didn't care too much for in those first 11 was the 236 yard 7th.  The target is TINY when played from the tips and you have to carry it nearly all the way to the green just to clear the marsh.  There is a mini backstop behind the green but nothing to give you "warm fuzzies" about.  Most people are going to be heading to the drop area after their tee shot on that hole.  The next toughest feature was the tee shot on #10 from the tips.  I cleared it OK but my playing partner, who most people would consider a decently long hitter, had trouble with the forced carry due to his low trajectory drive.  Of course, the rain and wind that day didn't help!

After just complaining about the 7th hole I'm going to follow that up with the fact that I really like Nicklaus courses.  I like demanding courses.  They are so satisfying to play when you manage to play well and I think he does a nice job with the aesthetics of courses.  Now, the course record was far from being threatened when I played the Idaho Club but I do like a challenging golf course more so than a very "playable" golf course.  I like forced carries, I like elevation changes, I like water hazards, etc.  The water on the course doesn't feel forced at all on the property.  Sandpoint has tons of natural water all over the place.  In fact, Lake Pend Oreille in Sandpoint is 1150 feet deep and used to be used as a submarine diving test area.

Like Andy, I love the scenary of the PNW.  It's very appealing to play in the trees, water, mountains, etc. especially when you live in a high desert area like I do.  In the end, the Idaho Club has several appealing holes.  Halfway through the round I was thinking to myself, "Self, this course is legit!  It is hanging in there with Black Rock and Gozzer!"  Holes 12-18 changed my mind.  The final seven holes were "improved" over the original Hidden Lakes design and are more fair (despite all the trouble) while the bunkering is much more attractive as well.  But for me, Circling Raven does a better job of keeping your attention throughout the round and giving you one solid hole after another.  While Circling Raven doesn't have anything near as dramatic as several of the front nine holes at The Idaho Club, it is a more consistent, steady, solid round of golf that feels "connected" much better than The Idaho Club.

Circling Raven is an attractive girl sun up to sun down that you wouldn't be embarrassed of but isn't exactly a trophy wife either.  The Idaho Club is that hot girl that ROCKS to be with for the first 2/3 of the day but leaves you "wanting" when the fellas are gone and you have to go home with a girl that can't carry a decent conversation and looks less than desirable without her makeup on; kind of an emotional let down at the point when things should be heating up.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2009, 07:35:17 AM »
The Idaho Club is that hot girl that ROCKS to be with for the first 2/3 of the day but leaves you "wanting" when the fellas are gone and you have to go home with a girl that can't carry a decent conversation and looks less than desirable without her makeup on; kind of an emotional let down at the point when things should be heating up.

So wetness is or isn't a factor?  ;)
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 08:33:02 PM »
As I changed my Nicklaus calendar(I'm a collector) from August to September today, I read the fine print and noticed that hole 8 at Idaho Club was featured.

http://www.jacknicklauscalendar.com/images2.php

It's on the second row, second from left.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 08:35:06 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

George Freeman

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2010, 11:24:24 PM »
Holy forced carries Batman...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:05:30 AM by George Freeman »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jim Franklin

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 08:39:38 AM »
It is a driveable par 4 so the forced carry is not all that bad. You may have a tough time carrying it with a 4 iron, but not a 3 metal or driver.

As a side note, is Scott McCarren sponsored by The Idaho Club?
Mr Hurricane

George Freeman

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2010, 09:06:29 AM »
Jim,

My comment was geared towards the course in general, not one specific hole.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jim Franklin

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2010, 09:08:28 AM »
Gotcha. There were more forced carries than I expected as well, but the 8th hole was not that big a deal in my eyes.
Mr Hurricane

Andy Troeger

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2010, 09:35:18 AM »
Jim,
I remember being frustrated at Idaho Club by not having any place to throttle back, and #8 is a prime example. I came out of the gates hacking and really had no way on some holes to do anything but continue to try to find a swing with the driver or 3-wood. On #8 you have to hit a wood (as I found out) and if you aren't straight you'll probably lose the ball anyway. I tried to find the right side fairway, but I just don't think its a big enough area for a hole with a 200 yard forced carry from the regular tees plus junk on both sides.  I respect the course more now than I did when we were actually playing it, but I can't see anyone over a single digit handicap having much fun there on a regular basis except for the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back