News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Define; A Proper Test of Golf
« on: September 01, 2009, 11:15:13 AM »
Richard Choi's "seed" thread brings up a great many topics to discuss, and, on many levels. One was the ability to articulate to others why GCA is deeper, more nuanced than the cursory observations every golfer apparently goes through. In this case the point of contention was TOC and  the number of "tests of golf" found there. In that vein I offer this as a definition of what a proper test means.

The proper test of golf examines both sides of the brain. The analytical and creative.

Golf courses that satisfy both sides of the brain are, IMO, an ideal because they allow golfers of any ability to enjoy themselves. 'Golfer' in this case is not just anyone who wants to pick up sticks, but rather someone who values the sport highly enough to know either the rules and/or proper etiquette. 

The equitable architecture mindset that wants to test the best golfers in the world, with narrow fairways and tiny soft targets, for the most part, only tests one side of the brain and are exclusionary to the spirit of an inclusive sport. Is it any wonder the numbers are not rising?

Disgust...err...ummm.. I Mean discuss.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Philippe Binette

Re: Define; A Proper Test of Golf
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 11:32:57 AM »
Muirfield....

no seriously, a great test of golf is one that would demand a high variety of shots and strategy in a balanced way.

left to right and right to left holes, possibility of high and low shots, variety of chip and pitches around the greens etc.

A course that always demands the same shot over and over is not a proper test of golf,

in that regard, I wouldn't call a soft course a proper test of golf since it demands constantly the same shot, a high pitch.
The Old Course with soft greens wouldn't be a proper test of golf, all the strategy and contours would be taken out since you cwould always fly the ball to the hole

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 11:34:45 AM »
Adam - I've mentioned this before: probably the vast majority of the people on this board have played golf for many, many more years than I have, and probably most started playing golf as youngsters -- and so I think you may all have forgotten (or, more accurately, you are now unconscious of) the huge amount of information you are able to process very quickly when you first step onto a tee, or as you get ready to hit an approach shot, or on the greens.  On most of the courses I play (usually modest, older daily fee courses or, occasionally, new courses aimed at the high-end market), I don't find that this is a problem for me -- i.e. even I can take in the information, because (I assume) it is all spelled out so clearly and so simply, and I can tell this is the case because I am almost always comfortable standing over my shots and almost always know exactly what I want to do (even if I can't in the end do it).  But I played a great old course recently, one full of interest and challenge and choices and deception, and I was really, REALLY out of my element -- I played badly, and was never conmfortable over a shot,  and literally felt overwhelmed with the information I sensed was out there but that I couldn't process.  Yes, I also scored poorly because the course asked me to hit shots I'm not used to and not good at -- but I didn't focus on that then or now (I expected it, in fact).  But the 'information overload' (not a good way to describe it, but I hope you know what i mean) is what really surprised me.  And what now intrigues me very much.

Peter  
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:56:29 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 12:14:40 PM »
Peter

Have you read "The Inner Game of Golf?"  The less you think, the better you play (within your physical limits).  Great architecture is there to confuse you as well as delight you.  Galwey is Haultain's most worthy successor.

mAda/iChor

A "proper test of golf" is a very relative statement.  Ask any number of your relatives to confirm this trusim.

Rich

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 02:24:21 PM »
Rich - thanks much for the book suggestion. I'll follow up.

But alas, I fear there's probably no short-cuts to enlightenment. Only one who has done years of thinking, and actually experienced the limits and limitations of thought, can truly enter that blessed state of 'no-mind' that you describe.  If I tried it, I'd only be fooling myself into a string of double bogies, and would probably also forget where I'd parked my car...

Peter

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 03:12:11 PM »
A course that always demands the same shot over and over is not a proper test of golf,

A simple and clear definition, nicely done Philippe!

It's also why I've never cared for the "It tests every club in the bag" definition. I don't see much difference in stock yardage aerial courses; I'd rather a course ask me to create 3 different 7 irons than a stock 6,7, and 9 iron (Rich, please pardon the anthropomorphism).
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 04:06:07 PM »
Adam:

Funny, I just ran across the phrase "a proper test of golf" this morning.

Sadly, it was from the golf professional at Merion, describing why his course is still relevant for the U.S. Open.  With four-inch rough and narrow fairways, Merion will be a "proper test of golf".  Ugh.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 04:16:32 PM »
According to Donald Ross:  "A course that continually offers problems - one with fight in it, if you please - is the one that keeps the player keen for the game." 

I think most people understand this concept, but differ on what sort of problems are appropriate.  The four inch rough and narrow fairways aren't my kind of problem.

JESII

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 04:19:14 PM »
Tom,

I think the pro at Merion probably had other reasons for his statement than the maintenance prep for a US Open.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 09:22:57 PM »
Thanx for the replies.

I added the word proper, trying to include players of almost all abilities.

However, as has been pointed out many times (usually by the astute Pat Mucci) gearing one's course for one week of the year/decade so the best players can be tested, with a score near Par, seems hardly respectful of the many, or, members.

Maybe the fun aspect is what I was channeling to include the creative side of the brain?

Peter, I don't know how easy it is to see all the strategies and nuances at first glance. Sometimes it requires trust in the Archie and even some counter-intuition. But then again, thats fun for me. Trusting blindness is another fun aspect. But there are some designers I would never try to trust.

Tom, Sorry I wasn't able to chat the last few days. I was wondering if your exposure to the college kids had any lasting impressions? Designwise of course.

Sully, Isn't that the prep for everyday play?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Carl Nichols

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 09:49:24 PM »
Peter:
Your post reminded me of my wife's 75-year-old Argentine aunt who had never really used a computer and then decided to buy a laptop.  She has information overload -- she reads and attempts to understand all of the things on the screen that we have learned to quickly ignore.  It makes for some very funny conversations.....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back