News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Latest News From Sharp Park
« on: August 31, 2009, 05:58:54 PM »

Craig Sweet

Re: Latest News From Sharp Park
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 06:08:37 PM »
That is hilarious!   We have a golf architect "guru" and a "former caddy" weighing in on the merits of the golf course design....oh well.  Everyone is an expert at least once in their life.

It seems to me that totally abandoning nearly 25% of the original holes makes further changes ok.....
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 06:32:34 PM »
The golf architecture guru is a previous winner of the Lido Prize in gca design.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 06:35:05 PM »

The golf course was there long before the housing tracts ever were, of which the housing did far more damage to the snakes future than the course itself.  So how ironic is it that the same people who want to get rid of the course are actually doing the most damage by living in the houses that replaces far far more native habitat.

Man SF is so screwed up....its not even funny.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 06:37:16 PM by Kalen Braley »

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
I wish someone would pose these questions to the envriromentalists: "What was here before the course?" Answer: Laguna Salada. "Do you know what that means in English?" Answer: Salty Lagoon. "Could these endangered reptiles have lived here then?" Answer: No."Did the building of the course enable these reptiles to live in a place they otherwise would not have been able to live?" Answer: Uh......
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 07:52:24 PM »
Isn't the course a shadow of what it use to be???
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Craig Sweet

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 07:54:12 PM »
David...well that would be a first!! Man's actions BENEFITING a species rather than contributing to its extinction.... :)

LOCK HIM UP!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 02:04:20 AM »
Isn't the course a shadow of what it use to be???

From other articles I have read, I believe Bo Links is arguing that much of Dr. Mac's genius is still there. Obviously four of the original holes have been lost, but he thinks the rest can be great with a little love.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 12:33:54 PM »
Man bites Dog!

Opinion page support for Sharp Park from the SF Chronicle (not unqualified support, but better than I'd have expected to see):

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/03/EDN019GUJ6.DTL

Sharp Park, the creation of famed course designer Alister MacKenzie, deserves to stay open. Along with its loyal users, the surrounding city of Pacifica wants to keep it. The course's low greens fee draws budget-minded players who can't afford other spots. Also, Sharp Park is one of the oldest around, dating the 1930s when it opened on land donated to San Francisco.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 01:27:20 PM »
Someone really needs to organize and fund in the name of Common Sense.  Environmentallism is a religion to some and new way to push political Progressionism for others.  They have joined forces.  Just ask Van Jones, "Green Jobs Czar" to the President.  Is it just a coincidence that he is from the S.F. Bay area???

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 01:34:03 PM »
Sean Remington -

The SF Public Golf Alliance is a volunteer organization formed to advocate for public golf in San Francisco. I am sure they would be appreciative of any time or money you wished to contribute to the cause. It could be as simple as writing a letter or sending an e-mail or two.

www.sfpublicgolf.com

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back