News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou_Duran

Golf Fitness Regime
« on: August 31, 2009, 10:36:46 AM »
I had the great pleasure of playing with four "super seniors" last week ranging in age from 74 to 84.  Off the 6600 yard tees in 100* heat, one beat his age, and two of the other three were within a stroke or two.  I only managed to beat the 84 year-old, primarily because the heat made him lightheaded on the back nine.  This round confirmed that Golf is indeed a game for a lifetime, provided that one is reasonably fit.  Clearly I am not.  Suggestions on books or visuals regarding golf fitness for seniors would be greatly appreciated.

David_Tepper

Re: Golf Fitness Regime
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 10:41:05 AM »
Lou -

Go to amazon.com, do a search under Books for 'golf fitness' and you will see a large number of books on the subject to choose from. I like "Golf Flex" by Paul Frediani.

DT   

Richard Choi

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:48:57 AM »
Lou, I have been taking a "Circuit Training" course for almost a year and I have gained about 15 yards to my drive and lost about 10 pounds of fat. The exercises really concentrates on your core muscles (stomach, glut, thighs, back) which improves your balance and applies really well for golf. It also greatly increases your cardio level. I highly recommend it for anyone looking to improve your game.

Here are the main exercises that we do in the class: http://www.golfdigest.com/instruction/fitness/2009/02/coreworkout

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
Lou:

I buy books and ignore them.  The best thing to do is get a trainer that you like.  It keeps you motivated.

Andrew Hastie

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 11:28:50 AM »
By far the most complete golf fitness program.

Titleist Performance Institute

www.mytpi.com

If you go to this site and search for a certified TPI trainer, there all over the world,  you can do screening that will give a so called "fitness handicap".
Then he can formulate a personal  training scheme for you that will involve a 16 week rotation and you can then go back for a new screening and see how much you have improved!
Fantastic system,measurable, personally tailored, golf specific and your training schedule is setup on your own private TPI web page.

I can highly recommend it!
Andrew

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:40:23 AM »
I took the TPI course last year..and am now the proud owner of TPI certified trainer..... ;D
My masters degree was in Exercise Physiology so this was really just a natural thing for me to do.

I agree that the TPI programme is very good, and probably the best golf programme out there.
Defiecint in the cardio portion.side of things but great in the stretching and core build up procedures.

That been said a good personal trainer with any knowledge of golf and functional training methods would be benficial.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 12:13:38 PM »
Lou,

Here is a great 3-part series on golf fitness training by Mark Verstegen. I especially like part 2. I use a trainer, made him watch these, and he incorpoted much of this into my routine.

http://www.sportskool.com/videos/training-1
http://www.sportskool.com/videos/training-2
http://www.sportskool.com/videos/training-3

Mark Woodger

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 12:46:06 PM »
if you have an iphone i recomend the ifitness application. It has a specific 3 day workout designed for golf as well as lots of other exercises.

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 12:52:40 PM »
 First of all ,one needs to choose something they can and will do every day. Once you figure out what that is you are on your way. For me that is Yoga. I can do it at home the first thing in the morning.  Yoga works all of the muscles and joints; it can be as arduous as you want.

Which brings me to my other maxim. The best time to do exercise is "when you will do it".
AKA Mayday

Lou_Duran

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 01:19:46 PM »
Great stuff, guys.  Many thanks.

As my unofficial personal trainer (i.e. the unpaid Kyle Henderson) has learned, I have a real problem with discipline.  Mike Malone is so right about exercise, and my only hope of overcoming this shortcoming is that I am sick and tired of playing poorly.

Mark Woodger- I do not have an iphone (my wife works for a competitor).  Any other way of looking at the program?

The personal trainer route is something I need to consider very seriously, though in my present frame of mind (seven years of famine), I will need to talk myself into spending the money AFTER I am convinced of being commited to the lifestyle change.  What is a reasonable fee for the PT and for how long?

For golf performance reasons only, is a 30 minute workout four or five days per week sufficient?

Paul_Turner

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 01:27:16 PM »
Lou

The only one that made sense to me from a scientific/biological point of view is:

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Science-Research-Program-Results/dp/0071597174

It's general fitness (not body building).  Not a great deal of discipline needed; about 15mins a week.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Bill Brightly

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 01:40:18 PM »
The best thing about a trainer is that you will be forced to work out, and can't use the 1000 excuses that we use every day. Is it expensive? Sure, a little. But what price do you put on your health and playing the best golf possible? I can think of so many worse ways that I waste my money...

I bet you can get a decent trainer for $50 an hour, maybe less if you go to their home. (If you go to a gym, it may cost more because the gym takes a piece...) If you can handle $100-150 per week and work out two or three time per week, I guarantee you will see the results.

The other thing about a trainer is that you will FINISH the routine. When I try to work out on my own, I stop about half way through because I feel like I have already had a good work out...The damn trainer makes me do the whole thing!

Once you decide to spring for the money and hire a trainer, the BIGGEST decision is do you go for the cute girl in tights or the muscled guy who kicks your ass! But that is a personal decision :)

jonathan_becker

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 01:50:05 PM »
Alright, I'm gonna spoil everyone's fun right now....

If you don't eat and fuel your body properly, a fitness regime is pointless.  :o

jonathan_becker

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 02:13:27 PM »

If you don't eat and fuel your body properly, a fitness regime is pointless.  :o

Does deep-dish sausage pizza and a six pack a few nights a week count?

As long as it's not from Giordano's you should be ok.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 02:15:15 PM »
I strongly 'second' the suggestion of the Titleist Performance Institute.  The best of its kind, anywhere, as far as I know.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 02:48:13 PM »
I tried it last year. The front and side (whatever you call them) were a pain in the a$$, but they helped tremendously. I then had my foot opersted on and have not went back. Unbelieveably I have lost 16 pounds this summer by carrying my bag when I play. 
Mr Hurricane

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 02:55:29 PM »
I think the Johnny LaRue exercise program is the one to beat (for those of you who remember SCTV). 

Exercises include opening the fridge door and grabbing a beer, putting the La-Z-Boy up and down - all done with a drink in one hand and a smoke in the other.  Come to think of it - that could probably be the John Daly Workout Program!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 04:14:10 PM »
... squat for flexibility....  

That's a start!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

JMEvensky

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 04:35:15 PM »
Bikram yoga.It's difficult at first but there's nothing better for flexibility.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 12:08:25 AM »

If you don't eat and fuel your body properly, a fitness regime is pointless.  :o

Does deep-dish sausage pizza and a six pack a few nights a week count?

As long as it's not from Giordano's you should be ok.

Why settle for Giordano's when you can have Lou Malnati's?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 10:14:54 AM »
Lou,

There's also another reason why we have our resident trainer in the name of Kyle Henderson  ;) .

I'd ping him as a start.

Seeing how the golf swing is more of an isometric move, I would think you'll need to work on a combination of things to strengthen the specifics to the move.  The only thing is doing too much of this up front is going to really stress the tendons.  You'll need to work up to it AND be patient about it.

But more than anything, you'll have to change your mindset about working out and fitness in general.  It needs to become a part of your routine.  You have to eat, sleep, work, etc.  Right?  And now working out too figures into this equation.

Watchout for burning out and too much too quick.  You'd be surprised how easily that can happen.

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 10:37:37 AM »
Suggestions on books or visuals regarding golf fitness for seniors would be greatly appreciated.

1. I would eliminate "golf fitness" and replace it with a simple "fitness". Basic stretching on top of basic fitness is all you really need for golf. If you get too golf psycho you will be pissed when your score does not drop every round after a workout.

2. Pick a goal, such as run 5 5K's and 1 10K over the next year. Don't worry about time, just do them. I need the "event" to keep my training level going. This year, it is one big triathlon in two weeks and I am going to walk through a bunch of the run, but I will finish. Once you learn how to finish, finishing is easy. Going faster is hard.

3. Make it fun, do it with other people (running club, bike club, friends) or a trainer.

4. Tie #2 into golf! I am hoping to finish The Mighty Hamptons in the AM with my wife on September 13th and then play Southampton GC in the afternoon!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 12:14:03 PM »
Patrick,

I tried to swap golf tips/lessons for fitness training with Mr. Henderson, but after playing with him at the KP he politely declined.  He has provided some information and considerable encouragement via IM, but I am having a hard time getting started.

I used to be a jogger, running as much as six miles daily, five and six days per week.  I hated every minute of it and knee problems gave me the excuse to quit.  Changing my mindset and adopting a new lifestyle are key.  Hopefully I can muster the willpower to get there.

Mike S,

Great advice.  I ran one 10K (Cowtown Marathon/10K) on an idyllic day back in the early 1980s and broke the 8 min/mile goal I had.  It was the only time I enjoyed running, and perhaps I should have done more events instead of just running to keep my weight down (sort of a negative goal).  I hope your events go well.

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 12:31:47 PM »
Run, Swim, Bike, Stretch...and repeat.

Or become a caddie and double bag 7-9 rounds a week...you'll eat like a horse, be tan, have lean muscles, and pockets full of cash  ;D
H.P.S.

mike_malone

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 01:38:43 PM »
 Fitness requires discipline. So, it only makes sense to do something which has a low hurdle to get started and which can be ramped up once the routine has been established. This tells me it needs to be something I can do at home at my convenience with little cost or equipment. Yoga only requires a mat and some sort of video to follow. I can attest that it works every muscle group for flexibility and strength. The additional benefits of balance and stress reduction also help with golf.

If , after starting a yoga regime, you want to add more strenuous ideas then go ahead.

I have a great universal gym sitting ten feet from my yoga mat and I expect to use it someday!
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back