News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Wilson

Re: Golf Fitness Regime
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 03:48:19 PM »
Shivas,

Just think of those pies as savory tarts, and you add an element of the risque to your enjoyment.   What could be more masculine and anti-quiche? 
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 05:51:30 PM »
Fitness requires discipline. So, it only makes sense to do something which has a low hurdle to get started and which can be ramped up once the routine has been established. This tells me it needs to be something I can do at home at my convenience with little cost or equipment. Yoga only requires a mat and some sort of video to follow. I can attest that it works every muscle group for flexibility and strength. The additional benefits of balance and stress reduction also help with golf.

If , after starting a yoga regime, you want to add more strenuous ideas then go ahead.

I have a great universal gym sitting ten feet from my yoga mat and I expect to use it someday!

Mike doing Yoga on your own removes one of it's greatest pleasures.  In a grou you get to watch wonderfully fit ladies twist and covort right in front of you, totally guilt free. Also evn the worst teacher will get you doing moves better than any video. Now my wife has decided to drop it and I miss it terribly. Yoga keeps you young. ;D

Lou you are a sportsman just do more sports that you enjoy. Then you'll find the time and keep at it.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 10:13:51 PM »
OK, Lou. I am going to diary this for 30 days so you can report back to all of us on what exercise program you selected and how you are doing!

Don't disappoint all of GCA!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 10:23:09 PM »
I also hate running and just about all cardio exercises where I'm not playing with/competing against others, but I will play hoops, tennis, racquetball, etc., until I'm about to drop.  My recommendation would be to find a sport like that to play (hard) 2X/week, and then do some form of stretching/strengthening -- like Pilates -- 2X/week.   

Steve Kline

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 11:03:55 PM »
About four years ago my wife and I switched to a raw food diet (totally vegan, no sugar, and eat 85% of your food raw) to treat her diagnosis of breast cancer. We did it hard core for a year. At the same time I started an exercise program called urban rebounding. Basically you jump on a mini trampoline doing various moves. There's an easy level to start and much harder one after you've mastered the easy one. After the cardio work, the video puts you through various crunches and the higher level one adds in lunges, push ups and dips. The combination of the two caused me to lose 30-35 pounds in short order. It made walking my extremely difficult to walk home course a breeze to walk. The rebounding dramatically improved the balance in my golf swing as it works your core muscles the entire time. My golf game was never better. My handicap went from 1 to +4, which is an astronomical improvement. Of course, these changes weren't the sole reason for my handicapping improving. I also started playing a whole lot more. I've since fallen off the diet as it is very hard to do when traveling for work. However, I still try to eat vegetarian as much as possible. I still do the rebounding. It is way more enjoyable than jogging. And, because you are on a trampoline there is no stress on your knees, ankles, or shins like with jogging. Without the healthy eating though i've added a few pounds around the midsection and can't seem to get one particular move in my golf swing back because of it.

George Pazin

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2009, 11:41:09 AM »
Interesting post, Steve, hope your wife is doing well.

I stumbled across this crazy thing called a kettlebell last year. It's brutal minimalist fitness.  If you're interested, buy the book Enter The Kettlebell and take it from there.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2009, 04:18:28 PM »
I try to stretch as much as possible and do something aerobic as well even if it's on a stationary bike.  Light weights with reps can keep the muscle tone.  Oh, and most important, walk - don't do cartball.  Golf is all about clubhead speed and that comes from flexibility - lose it and you lose distance.  You do the aerobic work so you don't get tired at the end of the round.  You can do it all in an average of 45 minutes a day or less.  And one last thing, stretch before you play - you'll hit it better and you won't hurt yourself warming up.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2009, 04:30:52 PM »
For discipline, keep a written diary of whatever fitness routine you do every day.  As a former runner, maybe this is something you're already into.  At age 67, I've been running for more than 38 years, and doing other exercises, mainly stretching (which I hate), along with it, and I still keep a written record of my workouts.  You don't want to see too many blank pages.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2009, 04:38:56 PM »
George, I love the kettle bell.  I also love the water wheel, which is expensive to purchase for home, but is found at many gyms.  You grasp the handles and crank the wheel...the water provides the resistance.

Anyone whose grasp of fitness is pre-2000 needs to get to a gym and see exactly what is happening today.  Core fitness, balance, light weight-high rep, and the list goes on.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve Kline

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2009, 06:08:54 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes George. My wife was diagnosed at least four years ago. We tried to treat it with the diet at first. Then she went to a hospital in Mexico, just south of San Diego, that treated all kinds of cancer with alternative medicine. It was the most amazing hospital I've ever been to. The doctor's philosophy was to treat the patient, not the cancer. The doctor that ran and owned the hospital knew everything about every patient (I could tell because every week he held a question and answer session about research they were doing and he could answer any patient's question about how a particular treatment may or may not be used for them off the cuff). My wife got a little impatient that the treatment wasn't working fast enough and then decided to do chemo. She had two rounds of 6 treatments each I think. There wasn't much improvement so she had a double mastectomy followed by radiation. After the radiation the breast cancer was found on her lung. She is now on her third round of six chemo treatments since the spot on her lung was found. The most amazing thing is that during this four year period my wife has not been sick one day...and I mean not one. She is totally unaffected by any of the treatments. During the chemo treatments this summer we were riding our bikes 10 miles at a time on Saturday mornings. She feels well enough that's she started watching a three year old and eight month old (in addition to our own son) to make some extra money. We attribute it all to God...both our faith in faith Him and the prayers of literally more people than we can name.

The most amazing thing for me throughout the process happened at the hospital in Mexico. My wife always smiles and I'm glad she does because it's beautiful. Well, at the hospital all patients, unless completely bedridden, must eat lunch in the cafeteria. It makes it feel like a hotel instead of a hospital and everyone gets to know one another since there are patients from all over the world there. So, the one day a woman patient comes up to my wife and says, "I see you smiling in here every day. You have a beautiful smile and it gives me strength to see you in here smiling." We believe that God sent my wife to that hospital just to bless that woman with her smile.

I hope I haven't bored anyone and I know the post is off topic but I can't say enough about the strength my wife has shown the last four years. We continue to proclaim that she is healed by the stripes of Jesus and are just waiting for her body to show that.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 09:37:33 AM »
OK Lou, how is the fitness program going?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 09:58:09 AM »
Bill,

Thanks for asking, but I am sorry that I can't report any good news.  I recently went down to south Texas to play some new (to me) courses, and one of the assistant's at Carlton Woods' fine Fazio course was flying his driver 50 to 60+ yards past mine.  I asked what I could do about it and he tapped my belly, told me to lose it, work on "the core", and do some instability training.

I have been fortunate to receive a lot of great advice from some very nice people.  To be useful, however, I have to be in a good frame of mind, and I am not in a very good place right now.  At least I know the direction to pursue; now I have to find the juice. 

Jud_T

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 11:33:48 AM »
Lou-

Best thing for back problems and core fitness-Pilates (on machines)
Best thing for motivation-Personal Trainer
Don't underestimate stretching-Essentially you can't do too much of it for golf.  I read an interview with one of the Long Drive champions, and not only did he do a lot of weight lifting and cardio, HE STRETCHED FOR 2 HOURS EVERY NIGHT!  :'(
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brian Phillips

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 12:25:37 PM »
Nutrition = Kilos
Training  = Grams

Your nutrition will help you lose the kilos,
your training will help you tone up and lose the annoying grams that hang around.

Nearly all of us EAT way too much and are we are just damn lazy.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

George Pazin

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 01:53:54 PM »
Who the heck has two hours to stretch? I can't even imagine gymnasts or dancers stretching that much.

My kettlebell is still rocking, don't come a knockin'.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jud_T

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 02:01:25 PM »
George,

Gymnasts and dancers can't hit a golf ball 400 yards and relatively straight...you can always stretch while you're watching "Dancing with the Stars"  :o
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David_Tepper

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 02:16:58 PM »
Check out the Mike Pederson videos at youtube.com. They are very useful and very good.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mike+pederson&search_type=&aq=f

George Pazin

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 02:53:54 PM »
...you can always stretch while you're watching "Dancing with the Stars"  :o

:)

I heard that, following the solid showing of Tom Delay, that DWTS was approaching The Golf Czar to see if was interested in stepping out in style...and I believe there is no truth to the other rumor that the Merion debate will be settled on the hardwood.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2011, 06:34:43 PM »
with the season of good will and plenty of over indulgance upon us. and the season new years resolutions soon arfter i thought i would give this a bump for those who like me will start the annual attempt to shed the 35lbs i need to to drop out of the obese category!! i start tomorrow.

Good luck to all.

somebody once said to me that if you can be described with the four letters O B C T then its time to change.

Jason Topp

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 07:45:11 PM »
Good luck Mark. Weight watchers has always worked for me. I need to return every once in awhile but try to do so when I need to lose 5.

I have been doing Pilates on a reformer the last month. I have no idea whether or not it will help with golf but I enjoy it.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2011, 07:50:29 PM »
Jason--you do Weight Watchers?  They should pay you as an "after" model!

Two concepts that I will bet are alien to 90% or more of those on this board:

1--Clean Program  www.cleanprogram.com    (Probably best to wait until the first of the year on this one!)

2--Bikram Yoga (or any type that floats your boat)  But--Bikram will sweat away lots of poundage..if you can stand the heat!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2011, 03:31:05 PM »
Lou:

I buy books and ignore them.  The best thing to do is get a trainer that you like.  It keeps you motivated.

I am glad to see this thread pop back-up.  Since I started it, I've lost about 40 pounds and have put back about half of it.  My primary method has simply been taking in fewer calories, with the biggest lifestyle change being that I stopped eating after dinner.

Like Jason, I have several books that have just sat there.  I even bought the full "Power 90" program this past summer thinking that it would be a good starter for more intense golf-oriented training.  A bad ankle sprain in late July has given me the excuse not to break the program out of the box (I am sure it will be one of my New Year's resolutions).

I suspect that to get serious, I will need to follow Jason's advice.  Other than spending the money, my biggest fear is that if I find a trainer and was successful in following his advice, that I will begin to look like Joel Zuckerman.  ;)   

George Pazin

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2011, 03:39:08 PM »
I am glad to see this thread pop back-up.  Since I started it, I've lost about 40 pounds and have put back about half of it.

Nice job, Lou. My memory does not show you having 40 pounds to spare, so maybe putting a few back on isn't so bad.

I still love the kettlebell, recommend it to everyone.

Yoga is a great way to meet hot women - literally and figuratively...

PCCraig

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2011, 03:54:04 PM »
2--Bikram Yoga (or any type that floats your boat)  But--Bikram will sweat away lots of poundage..if you can stand the heat!

I'll second this. Let's just say I won't fool anyone as a yoga instructor anytime soon, but over the last ~6 months I've been getting into yoga and really enjoy it...I literally feel like gumby when I walk out of there! :)

I also play a lot of squash in the winters, which does wonders to keep my hand/foot/eye coordination up to speed. Plus, after a couple hours of solid play there are few better well rounded cardio workouts, IMO.

H.P.S.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2011, 04:24:25 PM »
I literally feel like gumby when I walk out of there! :)

Be careful, Pat. In a Minnesota winter, Gumbys have been known to snap right in half.

Where do you play squash?

I imagine squash technology has changed utterly since I played the game (very amateurishly) in the '70s. In those days, a broken squash racquet was not the least surprise.

Has squash gone high-tech?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back