News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Does the Links Trust give each course one day of rest during the week? With the downturn in the economy causing fewer annual rounds, are large resorts contemplating having their courses go dark once a week on a rotation. Does it make sense from both an economic and a maintenance perspective? The only drawback would be to the itinerant ona tight schedule.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:06:12 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Resting the Old Course, et al
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 05:34:38 AM »
Does the Links Trust give each course one day of rest during the week?

No I don't believe they do.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 06:09:02 AM »
Isn't the Old Course closed on Sundays?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 06:51:33 AM »
Isn't the Old Course closed on Sundays?

yes but the others are open per Links Trust website.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 01:05:09 PM »
    I know the Old Course rests on Sunday and have known for 30+ years. When I go over Sunday is my photo tour day with magic hour lighting and a chance to walk the reverse course. With Castle open and the Links Trust now running seven courses I was wondering if the other courses also need a rest and a chance for the maintenance crew to perform chores free of bother.
   Talking with some Philadelphia friends it was said many of their private clubs are closed on Mondays. It used to be that way in Portland. With fewer rounds being played and the constriction of the economy I was wondering if daily closures were becoming more prevalent and was using St Andrews
as an example.
   I had heard a rumor that other place(s) were contemplating maintenance closure days and was wondering, if true, if that was unique or the start of a trend.

JMEvensky

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 01:25:36 PM »
    I know the Old Course rests on Sunday and have known for 30+ years. When I go over Sunday is my photo tour day with magic hour lighting and a chance to walk the reverse course. With Castle open and the Links Trust now running seven courses I was wondering if the other courses also need a rest and a chance for the maintenance crew to perform chores free of bother.
   Talking with some Philadelphia friends it was said many of their private clubs are closed on Mondays. It used to be that way in Portland. With fewer rounds being played and the constriction of the economy I was wondering if daily closures were becoming more prevalent and was using St Andrews
as an example.
   I had heard a rumor that other place(s) were contemplating maintenance closure days and was wondering, if true, if that was unique or the start of a trend.

I can give you a specific example of how this played out at my place.

The Super always asked for fewer/zero Monday outings because a full day of maintenance without players was very valuable to him.For years,that argument was trumped by the desire for the revenue those outings brought.It was difficult to "win" the maintenance-first argument because there's no way to point out any specific improvements gained."Hard revenue" versus "somehow better turf" is an easy call for a Board filled with people who don't really understand.

This year,the economy caused some clubs to lower their outing fees and we chose not to compete.The net result is that the golf course is in great shape and some of the slower children have actually connected the dots.We won't be signing up many more Monday outings soon.In my part of the world,you can't get enough revenue to cover ALL the real costs.

Niall C

Historically a lot of these older links had problems with conditioning, particualrly before irrigation, all down to the weather and the amount of play they received. Thats why places like St Andrews, Carnoustie and Troon have more than one course. The second course, originally called the relief course, was built to ease the burden on the Championship course allowing it to be closed to recover from excessive play.

Thats also why they played the Old Course, Carnoustie, North Berwick etc the opposite way, so as to spread wear and tear. Even after the New course at St Andrews was built, the Old Course would sometimes be shut at months on end to rest it. I've also read that on occasion they instigated a composite course between the Old and New, again to spread play.

In todays economic climate with fewer rounds, I would think that there would be less need to rest a course on maintenance grounds. Also with every day the course isn't in play representing revenue lost, I can't imagine that many clubs are going to go down this route.

Niall

Melvyn Morrow

TOC rests on Sunday because of her age. A Lady needs a rest from men at least once a week (apparently)

The New Course is young and willing to experiment in most thinks so is game for a laugh when challenged by Sunday Golfers – if anything like Sunday Drivers a slow and frustration game to be had by all.

The Jubilee Course or once know as the Duffers (beginners) or Ladies Course started out as a 12 hole before being speeded up to 18 and forced to play around the Rifle butts. Like a Turkey shoot on a Sunday, watch the Sunday Golfers flounder on the course.

The Eden Course apparently was meant to be the most refined but alas, it caught the Colt bug offering much too many with some rather interesting modifications that have made some run straight to Church asking for the head of a recent designer.

Here ends the Real Lesson on the true St Andrews courses, all else are in but name alone.

The Old Lady sired all her girls and keeps them close around her. She rests on Sunday to enjoy the children play, the young New Course more Tom Boy than young woman. The Jubilee, shy and virginal, but highly experienced and has the ability to embarrass if not shame some of her suitors. Then last but not least Eden, the girl who feels she is more man than boy let alone girl, yet the recent operations have not resolved her true gender.

Yes, I think The Old Lady deserves to rest and watch her children at play on Sunday, don’t you?

Melvyn

PS The Castle Course was an unwelcome surprise (a Cuckoo in the St Andrews nest) and suitable foster parents are wanted from as far away as China & Australia, to adopt this unnatural St Andrews course.

Brad Tufts

What?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Adrian_Stiff

The Old course used to play the reverse course for at least a whole month in the winter to help rest it. This practice stopped in the early 70s. I am suprised the links trust have not made the Balfour and Strathynum better both these courses are not worth a play really, they are designed for novices but do get played by okay players. The Eden looks quite cute and the Jubilee and New are both pretty good courses in their own right.

You need some more red & green tablets Melvyn.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Pete_Pittock

Niall,
I always thought the second, or relief, course was built because of the very high membership numbers, not for maintenance purposes.

Melvyn,
I remember some of that prose, wherest come?

If you have a large number of courses (four or more) under the same management wouldn't it be best to close each course on a daily rotating basis so that your heavy maintenance could be performed on a weekly basis by an experienced crew without interruption by members or guests. If the course is closed for play, it could also reduce expenditures in staffing elsewhere on property.

To get this away from my example of St Andrews, what about a resort such as Pinehurst or Bandon? I would guess #2 is beaten to death on a daily basis. Would it benefit from a day of rest. What about Pacific Dunes. 99.44% of people going to Pinehurst or Bandon would likely schedule a visit of three or four days minimum so they would still have a full range of options for play during their stay. 

Wayne_Kozun

There is also No Ballot on The Old Course from Sep 14- Oct 5 due to various R&A events, town events and the Dunhill so the old lady gets a bit of a rest at the end of summer as I can't imagine these events have foursomes off every 10 minutes or so all day long.

Steve Okula

In my opinion, less demand for golf makes it easier to close for maintenance. *

I work at a private, 36 hole club. We are closed to members every Monday, not just for maintenance, but also to give the clubhouse and pro-shop staff a day off.

Last year, about half the Mondays were given over to outside events, corporate outings and the like. This was a great boost of revenue to the club. Most of those event sponsors were banks, auto manufacturers, insurance companies and the like. Our outside business this year is off about 50%.

Meanwhile, membership has held steady. In fact, member play has increased slightly, maybe due to people traveling
less and staying home to play.

The bottom line is that we have a much easier time this year working around play and getting to the maintenance.

The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Wayne_Kozun

Last year, about half the Mondays were given over to outside events, corporate outings and the like. This was a great boost of revenue to the club. Most of those event sponsors were banks, auto manufacturers, insurance companies and the like. Our outside business this year is off about 50%.
After the Northern Trust fiasco the Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanleys of the world totally cut back on golf entertainment.  Arguably some of the biggest losers were caddies, clubhouse staff, etc. of some of the courses that would have hosted the events.

Reef Wilson

To get this away from my example of St Andrews, what about a resort such as Pinehurst or Bandon? I would guess #2 is beaten to death on a daily basis. Would it benefit from a day of rest. What about Pacific Dunes. 99.44% of people going to Pinehurst or Bandon would likely schedule a visit of three or four days minimum so they would still have a full range of options for play during their stay. 

Pete,
During much of the winter Bandon has one of the courses closed on most days. At least that is the way it has been when we go in February. They also don't have all the lodging options available at that time, so when the resort is "full" at that time of year, it really is not.
Reef

Steve Kline

Niall,
I always thought the second, or relief, course was built because of the very high membership numbers, not for maintenance purposes.

Melvyn,
I remember some of that prose, wherest come?

If you have a large number of courses (four or more) under the same management wouldn't it be best to close each course on a daily rotating basis so that your heavy maintenance could be performed on a weekly basis by an experienced crew without interruption by members or guests. If the course is closed for play, it could also reduce expenditures in staffing elsewhere on property.

Pinehurst restricts the number of players on #2 each day. When things were really busy I don't think anyone teed off after 2. It's probably not an issue right now with the economy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back