News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Is it painted?
« on: August 28, 2009, 03:46:54 PM »
Sat watching the golf on tv and a fellow worker walks in the room, he plays a little gold, and first thing out of his mouth is "is that golf course painted to look that green?"

It was exactly my thought when i put the golf on. The course looks horribly green. Can they not turn the water off?

That course would look great slightly browned out.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Garland Bayley

Re: Is it painted?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 04:08:41 PM »
The sad thing about it is that ANGC would seem to be the origin of all this green needed to be everywhere, and those rich dudes at that course get all of their water free from the city of Augusta.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 05:55:06 PM »
Sat watching the golf on tv and a fellow worker walks in the room, he plays a little gold, and first thing out of his mouth is "is that golf course painted to look that green?"

It was exactly my thought when i put the golf on. The course looks horribly green. Can they not turn the water off?

You CAN get green without being overwatered....and firm-Oakmont 2007 Open

Tony Nysse
Pine Tree GC
Boynton Beach, FL
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

JohnV

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »

It helps when you get two 1-2 inch storms in the 5 days before the championship.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 10:29:21 PM »
The sad thing about it is that ANGC would seem to be the origin of all this green needed to be everywhere, and those rich dudes at that course get all of their water free from the city of Augusta.

I don't know for sure but are you certain that they irrigate with city water?  Public water service is usually a county not a city function and if that is true that they are using "city water"  I assume that is because of an agreemnt with Richmond county.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:33:17 PM by Chris Cupit »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 01:39:16 AM »

I don't know for sure but are you certain that they irrigate with city water?  Public water service is usually a county not a city function and if that is true that they are using "city water"  I assume that is because of an agreemnt with Richmond county.

The book Augusta by Eubanks states that it is the city of Augusta that provides them free water. Mr. Eubanks chides ANGC for being poor municipal citizens going even the extent of suing members of the community trying to sell merchandise remotely related to the club and tournament.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 04:44:59 AM »

The book Augusta by Eubanks states that it is the city of Augusta that provides them free water. Mr. Eubanks chides ANGC for being poor municipal citizens going even the extent of suing members of the community trying to sell merchandise remotely related to the club and tournament.

Rye grass is super green-get over it-
If other courses see green in April at Augusta and over water their courses to get green should we trot out the overtired arguement that it's Augusta's fault?
What if they tuned in in June and saw the Rye burning off, would brown courses be Augusta's fault (or credit)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 06:20:20 AM »

It helps when you get two 1-2 inch storms in the 5 days before the championship.

AUGUSTA 2007...Super firm, yet very green...Green doesnt always mean slow, John.

Jeff Warne hit it on the head-Rye grass just is green, dark green in fact. The courses that overseed, seed just because it stays dark green...
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Cristian

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 06:20:48 AM »

Tony Nysse
Pine Tree GC
Boynton Beach, FL

Interesting!

How?

Chris Cupit

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 12:14:58 PM »

I have that book and while a fun read I am not sure I would depend on it for completely factual information.  On page 250 do you really think that is a photo of an earlier Masters Trophy as Eubanks infers?  Anyway, I am curious about the water issue and will try and follow up.

George Pazin

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 12:21:21 PM »
Fwiw, I think the TV also makes it look more green. Oakmont 2007 did not look nearly as green in person as it did on the telecast when I would go home and watch it on the dvr.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 12:42:06 PM »
JVB- Nailed it.

This year has been a remarkable moisture year almost everywhere.

The noises heard from bounces and run outs on the green show the course looks to be in an ideal meld.

Too bad it's Bermuski covered.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 07:20:27 AM »
The Masters is played at a time of year when the warm season grasses are not playing at tournament level. So a lot of rye grass is seeded in the fairways and the roughs. And they use a high rate of seed to get good density. And I think we may assume that they use seed varieties that are uniform in texture and color. Why wouldn't they?

Well under that management plan you are going to have very green grass. I mean if you wanted Augusta to be off color at that time of year, given the circumstances, then you would have to paint it yellow or gold.

The one Masters tournament that I visited a few years back had some nice firm conditions as far as I could tell.

I honestly do not think that Augusta is vulgar or excessive in its use of fertilizers, water, or chemicals, as is so often implied. Now if you said that they use a heck of a lot of seed, that would be a fair statement, but the density of grass that they get from that heavy seeding is what helps the ball roll and bounce on those wide rolling hole corridors.

Probably if they used less seed, and less water and fertilizer, the density would be thinner, and if anything it would play less F&F. Certainly the ball would react way less to all of those amazing contours out there than it does under the turf management program that they are using. Anyways, I find it all very fascinating how much bad press Augusta gets with respect to it's color.

If I were to find one thing to be critical of at Augusta, I would say that they have probably graded and smoothed too much of the contour out of the landing areas. But that's being picky.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 07:22:12 AM by Bradley Anderson »

GBoring

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 09:09:18 PM »
TV makes a course look greener than it actually is.  I remember attending the Open at Shinny in 04.  Walked around the property then went inside one of the hospitality tents.  Starting watching the coverage on TV.  Didn't even resemble the same golf course. It was unbelievable how much greener things were on TV.

Todd Bell

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 09:25:11 PM »
Green, fast, and firm = highly efficient irrigation system

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back