News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

Boston Area Course Opinions
« on: May 01, 2002, 09:44:17 PM »
Question for all:

As I live in the Boston area, I was curious to see what people thought were the best hidden gem-type courses in the area, public or private, old or new.  I know that the Country Club, Salem, Essex, and Kittansett are basically the best, but they are not really hidden gems in the sense of the word.  Experiences and descriptions are encouraged.

For me, I was surprised at how fun Franklin Park and George Wright, Boston's munis were (Ross was involved with both), as I believe at least G. Wright could make a killer private club if there was some money put into it.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Anthony Pioppi

Re: Boston Area Course Opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2002, 09:26:08 AM »
     George Wright is wonderful. Too bad it is in such poor shape, or was the last time I played there. If it did become private, there is the possibility that some egotistical greenchairman (but I repeat myself) would have some of the wonderful green countours wiped away all in the name of fair golf.
      Since you live in the area, why don't you tell us some hidden gems to check out. I'm originally from Central Mass. and there is not too much there in the hidden gem catagory.

I would recommend you check out Red Tail in Devens, right off of Rt. 2.

Ed_Baker

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2002, 09:49:20 AM »
I'm not sure any of these are hidden gems, but they all are 5 or better on the Doak Scale. Besides the ones already mentioned I would add...

Private.. Charles River,Winchester,BraeBurn,Tedesco,Pinebrook
Worchestor,Whitinsville,Longmeadow,Vesper,Myopia,Oyster Harbors,Wianno,Eastward Ho!,Hyannisport.

Semi Private & Public... Crumpin Fox,Mount Pleasant,Stowe Acres (both courses) Ponkapoag #2,The Orchards.

All these have above average architecture and variety of holes.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2002, 10:15:40 AM »
I second the thought on seeing Stowe Acres -- specifically the North Course and you will never forget how good a hole the 9th is (462 yards). The course has hosted the USGA Public Links a few years ago.

Another daily fee worth stopping by is Shaker Heights in nearby Harvard. You also have a number of daily fee designs right off Rte 3 heading south from Boston though the Plymouth area on the way to the Cape. A few are worth checking out.

Agree about George Wright -- neat course but truly needs some attention to detail.

Hope this helps ...

newtoneagle

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2002, 11:01:37 AM »
Being a big Ross fan, I'd go with George Wright, Ponkapoag #2, and Sandy Burr as hidden public gems. Ponkapoag #2 in particular has the most potential, imho, for being truly great if ever restored, although the pace of play may drive you to on-course suicide.

Myopia and Essex County would be my two favorite courses (possibly anywhere, not just Boston), but you won't get on if your name ends with a vowel. Brae Burn is often overlooked, but is a great old Ross course (1914) and host of an early US Open. Apart from 1 or 2 weak holes is as good as any, although sadly the nouveau riche members seem not to care a whit about their great golf heritage.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:05 PM by -1 »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2002, 11:43:51 AM »
Ed Baker,

Where is Belmont ?

Ed_Baker

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2002, 01:18:54 PM »
Pat,
just off Rte2 and should have been in the middle of the Private list. David Brilliant will have my head for not listing it!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2002, 01:44:38 PM »
So much to say.....

I belong to Tedesco, so I am a little biased towards it....but I have to agree that Essex is quite possibly my favorite course I have ever played, at least on this side of the Atlantic.  I have played Stow Acres North and thought it was a little scruffy for a former USPL tourney, though i've heard they have done some work to remedy that.  Of the others mentioned, I've played Myopia, Crumpin-Fox, Shaker Hills.  I've been trying to get on sandy burr for two year, but the tee times fill up so fast i've had little success.  All of the private clubs mentioned i've yet to see, but am very interested in finding ways to do so.  

For my several gems that i would mention, they would include Beverly Golf & Tennis Club (Emmet & Tull, used to be United Shoe CC), Gannon Golf Club (a WPA course built during the depression that suffers a bit like George Wright), Bass Rocks in gloucester (H.C. Leeds in about 1890, rock outcroppings in some fairways, great views of ocean, though somewhat tainted by three new holes that replaced three others that played across roads that were much better), and Bass River on the cape, a Ross course with an interesting split of 34-38 that is generally flat and uninteresting, but has several all-world holes (11).

Ed_Baker

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2002, 01:59:37 PM »
btufts,

If you are a member at Tedesco your pro can arrange for you to play most places. If he can't, one of your own members the perrenial club champ, and one of the greatest gentlemen in all of golf is welcome everywhere, I'm sure he would help you.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2002, 02:10:19 PM »
So much to say.....

I belong to Tedesco, so I am a little biased towards it....but I have to agree that Essex is quite possibly my favorite course I have ever played, at least on this side of the Atlantic.  I have played Stow Acres North and thought it was a little scruffy for a former USPL tourney, though i've heard they have done some work to remedy that.  Of the others mentioned, I've played Myopia, Crumpin-Fox, Shaker Hills.  I've been trying to get on sandy burr for two year, but the tee times fill up so fast i've had little success.  All of the private clubs mentioned i've yet to see, but am very interested in finding ways to do so.  

For my several gems that i would mention, they would include Beverly Golf & Tennis Club (Emmet & Tull, used to be United Shoe CC), Gannon Golf Club (a WPA course built during the depression that suffers a bit like George Wright), Bass Rocks in gloucester (H.C. Leeds in about 1890, rock outcroppings in some fairways, great views of ocean, though somewhat tainted by three new holes that replaced three others that played across roads that were much better), and Bass River on the cape, a Ross course with an interesting split of 34-38 that is generally flat and uninteresting, but has several all-world holes (11).

Brad Tufts

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2002, 02:12:15 PM »
sorry bout the double post......

I know Cy quite well, as I lost to  him in the Club Championship last year.  He's won 12 out of the last 13 tournaments i think, and he definately is a great guy.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2002, 03:36:48 PM »
Ed Baker,

How good was Belmont before the highway killed 5 holes ?

Ed_Baker

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2002, 08:24:04 AM »
Pat,

Obviously you got my rte.2 reference.

In my opinion one of the best in the state,every good player in the state was certainly aware of Belmonts greatness, due mostly to State Am qualifying and State Opens. If my memory serves me correctly the last Am qualifier there was in the early 90's and 79 and ties were in a playoff!! Also it benefited greatly from the turfgrass science of Manny Francis Sr & Jr. remember their hybrid strain of South German Velvet? The greens used to be the best anywhere almost a "mossy" feel,remember? Poa infestation,anthracnose,and a bad case of crown hydration in the winters of '96 & 2001 have altered them, they are still good but certainly different, and as you say the highway took its toll. Pun?

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2002, 11:00:14 AM »
What's the word on the new Gil Hanse course in the Boston area? Gil says it's a very good site. I think C&C had to pass for scheduling reasons and passed Gil onto the owner, Thank God.

That kind of collaboration is a great thing if an architect has to pass on a project.

What do you think about that kind of recommendation collaboration TommyN? If an outfit like Coore & Crenshaw has to pass for some reason is it better for them to say nothing or recommend and outfit like Hanse. If they passed and said nothing there might be a possibility that Damon Pascusso would build his first Boston area course.

What would you think of that?

JMD

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2002, 10:43:20 AM »
A note about Brae Burn:  the course has one of the best opening stretches I've seen (the first 7 holes are varied, challenging, and subtle); the club has just installed a new irrigation system and appears dedicated to bringing the course up to the standard set by the design; and, in this spirit, trees are coming down in a way that restores shot values and adds to the challenge of some of the course's best holes (3, 2, 4 maybe most notably, and 18).  It may well be that renewed focus on Ross thanks in part to Brad Klein and the USGA (in that order, I think) is helping this course achieve its rightful stature.  If you've seen the course, it is worth taking another look.  If you haven't, you should make sure it is on your list of Boston area stops.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back