News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Link Between Old Tom Morris and C B Macdonald
« on: August 27, 2009, 10:19:27 AM »

Fact or hearsay? Did the actually know each other? Is there any documentation?

Anthony

Brian_Ewen

Anthony Gray

Re: Link Between Old Tom Morris and C B Macdonald
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 11:36:50 AM »

Anthony

CBM had a locker in Old Tom’s shop, so I think they knew each other. I believe he was also taught the fine details of the game by Old Tom

CBM also played quite a few matches with Young Tom as we are talking about the 1870’s and returned home the year before the death of Young Tom.

A question in return, would the experience of being taught the art of the game of Golf by a National Champion  four times over and playing with another National Champion again  four times over create a last impression on any young man, perhaps even influence him on his future approach to golf?

CBM father was a Scot and his uncle and grandfather were Members of the R&A during his time at St Andrews University 1872-74.

So yes, he knew Old Tom

Melvyn

PS I believe there is an old photo of his locker in Old Tom's shop, not certain where it is though.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 11:40:43 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_B._Macdonald

Thanks Brain, but I was looking for a little more.

Anthony

Anthony, it's well documented in CBM's autobiography, "Scotland's Gift: Golf," that CB learned most of what he knew from the legendary Old Tom and played matches against Young Tom.  If you drop by the house, I'll loan you my copy.  And buy you a drink.

Owning both Scotland's Gift and George Bahto's "The Evangelist" of golf is a must for the serious golf historian.  You can order them both on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0_15?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=scotland%27s+gift+golf&sprefix=Scotland%27s+Gift

http://www.amazon.com/Evangelist-Golf-Story-Charles-MacDonald/dp/1886947201/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251387546&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Evangelist-Golf-Story-Charles-MacDonald/dp/1886947201/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251387546&sr=1-1#reader

The third link opens up the book itself, and you can click on "First Pages" to read about young Charles' arrival in St Andrews and his introduction to Old Tom by CBM's grandfather who was an R & A member.  Great stuff.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:50:30 AM by Bill_McBride »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 12:09:14 PM »

Thanks Bill......Just don't have much time to read..

Anthony

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 12:40:53 PM »
Having been taught by the legendary must be at the root of his frustration when the less sophisticated Americans began bastardizing many of the little things that make golf a bigger sport.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 12:44:14 PM »

Thank You Melvyn. Anything in Old Tom's writings that mentions C B Macdonald?

How was he an american citizen?

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 12:50:08 PM »

Anthony

He was born in the US and sent to Scotland for college.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 12:52:04 PM »

Anthony

I have read he was born in Canada.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 01:31:28 PM »

Anthony

I have read he was born in Canada.

Anthony

You might be right. I don't remember the details. Perhaps his parents were US citizens. But, in any case he was a new world progeny.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Blake

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 01:41:23 PM »
Pretty sure he was born in Chicago.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 01:46:20 PM »
Having been taught by the legendary must be at the root of his frustration when the less sophisticated Americans began bastardizing many of the little things that make golf a bigger sport.

Adam,

I must admit I had his story wrong. I was under the impression that he returned to Scotland only after being successful in business later in life. Studying in St Andrews and knowing Old Tom intrigues me.

Anthony

David Kelly

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 01:52:27 PM »

Adam,

I must admit I had his story wrong. I was under the impression that he returned to Scotland only after being successful in business later in life. Studying in St Andrews and knowing Old Tom intrigues me.

Anthony

No need for speculation, as Bill said, its all there in "Scotland's Gift" and "The Evangelist of Golf."
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 01:53:09 PM »

Here is a list of ones that were inducted to the World Golf Hall of Fame in years prior to C B Macdonald's induction in 2007.

John Jacobs
  Neil Coles
  Sir Michael Bonallack
  Deane Beman
  Karsten Solheim
  Harvey Penick
  Marlene Stewart Streit
  Bernard Darwin
  Mark McCormack
  Garland Bayley

All deserving I'm sure,but how could their contributions be recognized before those of CBM.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 02:03:59 PM »

Adam,

Anthony

No need for speculation, as Bill said, its all there in "Scotland's Gift" and "The Evangelist of Golf."

David,

Thanks. For one that has neither book,what way did CBM say he was influenced by OTM? Did they ever discuss architecture directly?

Thanks....Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 02:11:08 PM »
Yes

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 02:20:06 PM »

Anthony

Make time - this is important stuff.  ;)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 02:24:03 PM »
Anybody

Is there any corroboration of CBM's recollections of Old and Young Tom as written by him in "Scotland's Gift"?  Thanks in advance.

Somebody

Andy Hughes

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 02:35:42 PM »
Rich, I haven't picked the book up in a while, but weren't a number of the matches written about in the newspapers and included in the book?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »

Anthony

I mixed some valium in your bottle of little blue pills. That way you will have some evenings with plenty of time to read.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 02:37:37 PM »
Anybody

Is there any corroboration of CBM's recollections of Old and Young Tom as written by him in "Scotland's Gift"?  Thanks in advance.

Somebody

Melvyn would be the obvious source.  I also need to go back and scan "Tommy's Honour" for any CBM references.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
CB was born in Canada.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Moore

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 03:15:47 PM »
As Bill alluded to and provided the link, according to CBM in Scotland's Gift,  CBM met Old Tom his 2nd day in St Andrew's when his grandfather took him to Old Tom's shop and set him up with a locker and some clubs before his first round on the Old Course. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

John Mayhugh

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »
I thought this was a pretty good article when I originally saw it.  Anthony, I hope you can find time to read this.

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Charles-Blair-Macdonald/1047/Default.aspx

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back