News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lawrence Largent

Columbus Area suggestions
« on: August 26, 2009, 10:17:28 PM »
Looking for a suggestion this Sunday AM playing the Golf Club that afternoon.  Private doesn't look good being on a Sunday Morning so Public if you will.  I'll be coming from the Cincinnatti area. 

Thanks
Lawrence

JLahrman

Re: Columbus Area suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 10:36:19 PM »
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39869.0/

Here is a recent thread on Columbus...

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 11:03:59 PM »
Since you are going to The Golf Club, and although its a little bit outside Columbus, I'd recommend Urbana CC. The old original nine was designed by Pete Dye's father in the 1920s on their family property, and the new nine was designed by Pete's son in the last decade or so. It presents a very interesting and entertaining contrast. Its also an insight into Pete's influences and his impact on modern design.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:05:35 PM by Tom MacWood »

Buck Wolter

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 11:14:49 PM »
National Golf Links is between Dayton and Columbus right off I-70 ;D
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 07:41:13 AM »
National Golf Links is between Dayton and Columbus right off I-70 ;D

Yes, the National Golf Links of Ohio ::)

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 08:25:48 AM »
Lawrence:

Assuming you'd like to stay on The Golf Club side of town, and are looking for a public option, I'd suggest Tartan East, which is the old Winding Hollow CC and just a couple minutes from TGC. It's an Art Hills design, and given the relative lack of decent public golf in this town, probably a decent option. I suppose most others in the know would also suggest Champions as a good public option, although I haven't played it.

You may want to check out Granville (Donald Ross), since it's somewhat closer to TGC than most other areas of Columbus.

Regards,

Doug

Doug Ralston

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 11:49:58 AM »
I really enjoyed 'The Players Club', a bit SW of Columbus. And I didn't really expect to after five fairly bland holes, but then it became very fun indeed.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 12:33:05 PM »
The better public courses in and around town are:

Champions GC (the orginal Winding Hollow CC purchaced by the City of Columbus)
Cooks Creek GC (just south of Columbus off of US-23)
Darby Creek GC (just west of Columbus)
Granville GC (is east of the city and a fun Ross course)

I have not played Tartan East GC (newer former Winding Hollow CC)

I would think getting on the Scarlet on Sunday morning would be difficult unless you have an OSU connection.

Chris

Billsteele

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 12:34:51 PM »
Lawrence-My recommendation would be Granville (14 fairly authentic Ross holes and 4 holes done to accomodate a housing development). The Ross that is left is very fun and quite sporty. The only drawback is that you will have to drive 25 minutes east of The Golf Club and then backtrack.

Champions would be my second choice. 15 minutes west of The Golf Club. A blend of Herbert Strong (original nine) and Robert Trent Jones (newer nine). A tremendous piece of property with great elevation changes, small greens with pretty interesting movement and great shot values. The only drawback is that it is a municipal course run by the City of Columbus and conditions can be spotty. However, when I was there in June, it was fine and this has been a great summer for golf courses in Ohio.

Tartan East (which I have now consistently seen referred to as East Golf Club) is the closest to The Golf Club...maybe five minutes. It is a solid golf course but is clearly third IMHO when looking at these options.

Enjoy The Golf Club. I will be out there Wednesday and I always find it to be one of the best atmospheres for a club on the planet. If you have any other questions or want some company on Sunday morning, IM me.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 12:51:59 PM »
I will also suggest Granville for publics since you are on the ne side of town.  

However....

Lawrence,

With a hookup at The Golf Club, surely you could find a game somewhere private that morning??  All I know is that some of my c-bus friends can get on Scioto, MV, or Double Eagle without too much effort....but I have yet to meet a person that has full blown access to TGC.  In my estimation, you've got a tee time on the hardest club to get on in Ohio (maybe the Country Club in pepper pike is a close second.)  Good for you!  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 01:15:54 PM by jonathan becker »

JMEvensky

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 01:08:32 PM »
A little OT,but what's Columbus CC like?I assume it's below the heavyweights,but how far?Is is even worth playing?

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 01:23:26 PM »
I believe the Springfield Country Club (Donald Ross) is within an hour of Columbus and would be well worth the drive. 

Billsteele

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 01:53:50 PM »
JMEvensky -I am a big fan of Columbus Country Club. It is overshadowed by the Big Four of Columbus golf (Muirfield Village, The Golf Club, Scioto and Double Eagle) but it has some terrific holes and wonderful greensites. It's biggest drawback is that the best holes come fairly early in both nines so the remainder of the nines is somewhat anticlimactic.  On both nines, the course travels down to a river basin and then back up to the least interesting (flattish) part of the course. But the good stuff at CCC certainly makes it worth the effort to get to if you cannot line up the more famous Columbus courses.

Billsteele

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 02:01:57 PM »
Lawrence-One other thing, Springfield and Urbana are fine suggestions. However, they are easily 45 minutes west of I-71 and then at least an hour (probably closer to an hour and fifteen minutes) back east to New Albany where The Golf Club is located.

JMEvensky

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 02:03:15 PM »
JMEvensky -I am a big fan of Columbus Country Club. It is overshadowed by the Big Four of Columbus golf (Muirfield Village, The Golf Club, Scioto and Double Eagle) but it has some terrific holes and wonderful greensites. It's biggest drawback is that the best holes come fairly early in both nines so the remainder of the nines is somewhat anticlimactic.  On both nines, the course travels down to a river basin and then back up to the least interesting (flattish) part of the course. But the good stuff at CCC certainly makes it worth the effort to get to if you cannot line up the more famous Columbus courses.

Thanks.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 04:54:50 PM »
While I really like Foxfire (Players), I wouldn't recommend it as the AM round b/c they do 7 minute tee times; unless you can get a really early time, there'll be a wait on #2.  I think Tartan East and Granville are better choices, Tartan East being almost a stone's throw away.

Enjoy it!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back