News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

I had the pleasure of playing at Grosse Ile CC near Detroit this week. Prior to beginning play, a warning was given; "Don't be long." I wondered if the green complexes were mowed down off the back, nahhhh...not really. The advice was aimed at NOT being PAST THE pin....

At Grosse Ile CC, on the majority of the holes if you went long and high,  the possibility of going past the flag came into play (a big NO NO here), you were in trouble, with number 13 (the one that I forgot to get pics of...) being the most severe. On several holes I think that I made par by being on the front rather than on the green itself. I felt that on some greens you could, in effect, be punished for hitting the green in regulation. These greens were nicely (or not so nicely depending on how you putt) sloped from front to back. There were many areas of severe contouring that could really wreck havoc on your putting, and your scorecard. The greens were also nice and speedy (I personally disdain and loathe slow greens BTW). The greens on the par 5's seemed to be the most benign of the bunch.

I struggled here, but not because of these greens, I never three putted. A few trees caught some of my errant shots and forced me to take my medicine with a healthy dose of double bogeys. I am not sure if more trees really need to be removed at Grosse Ile or not. I would need to play here more in order to make a definitive decision regarding tree removal. At times, the trees actually collect errant shots that may have gone much, much farther off path than originally desired.

Grosse Ile CC is the type of course I could play everyday and not wish i was playing somewhere else. It passed my litmus test, for sure.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 08:03:45 PM by Rich Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Mark Luckhardt

Re: Grosse Ile's "diabolical" greens (some of them anyway) pics inside
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 11:34:37 AM »
We drained those greens over 10 years ago, and those pictures bring back great old memories of our work at Westshore CC and Grosse Ile. Those greens are still first rate in my mind.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 01:15:11 PM »
Rich,

Looks great.  The course appears open from trees as well.  Nice pics.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 03:19:17 PM »
That little piece of land on the north side of the island (above the canal) looks the perfect size for a golf course.  I assume that such an idea is eight lawsuits and injunctions waiting to happen, however.

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 11:55:03 AM »
Rich:

Good work on these greens pics. I've always thought the most difficult part of capturing the essence of courses through two-dimensional pictures are greens, where contouring can be difficult to depict. Yours are some of the better ones I've seen; because green contouring can be so subtle, ones that stand out in pics I've always thought must be pretty severe!

Ross originals?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back