News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Davis Wildman

Restoration Oriented Architects
« on: August 26, 2009, 03:34:11 PM »
Who are today's 'restoration oriented' architects and which ODG's do they specialize in?

Joe Hancock

Re: Restoration Oriented Architects
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 03:38:15 PM »
Not the answer you're looking for but in today's market of no new builds, I'd say:

#1- Everyone

#2- Everyone

:)

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Michael Blake

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 03:42:15 PM »
Ron Prichard does lot of Ross courses.

Davis Wildman

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 04:15:48 PM »
I know K. Spence focuses on Ross courses.

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 05:09:53 PM »
Keith Foster was just mentioned for his work at Southern Hills

The youtube guy does a lot of restoration work, or his firm does...

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 05:34:52 PM »
Doak and Hanse have done a very broad base of architects work. Hanse is doing LACC North as we speak.

Now, I'd be happy to tell you who shouldn't be doing this type of work... ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 05:40:36 PM »
Here's Tom Doak's website page on restoration and renovation work:

http://www.doakgolf.com/consulting.asp

According to Tom's detailed web page, not much renovation work since 2005, but I'll bet that might change.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 06:24:04 PM »
Keith Foster has been providing some outstanding restoration results recently. In addition to the aformentioned Southern Hills his firm did work at Baltimore CC East, Wilmington CC South and I believe Colonial. The beauty of Keith's work is that you have no idea that he did it because he prefers to enhance the original work as opposed to leaving his personal stamp on it. At least that is what I have heard from thse at the clubs he worked for.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 07:19:02 PM »
Rob:

I have only seen Eastward Ho! since Keith's restoration, but I admired his work there.

Still, I think you can say the same thing ["no idea that he did it"] for 5-10 other architects doing this sort of work ... Ron Forse, Gil Hanse, Tripp Davis, and ourselves included among them.

And yes, Bill M., we are doing a little more of that type of work right now because things are so slow.  We have signed on to do some work at Oyster Harbors on Cape Cod, and at Shawnee on the Delaware, and made proposals at one or two other clubs.  But, I believe that our new-course work is going to rebound and I don't want to commit too many guys or resources to restoration projects unless they are going to happen SOON.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 10:19:21 PM »
Ron Force is another.  I agree with Tom that there are 8 to 10 who take the time and have a history of doing it right.

Don't forget that there are also construction companies and shapers who specialize in restoration as well.

Trey Stiles

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 11:22:58 PM »
Speaking of Tripp Davis , you should see the work he's done at Preston Trail ... Very Nice !

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 11:25:44 PM »
Rob:

I have only seen Eastward Ho! since Keith's restoration, but I admired his work there.

Still, I think you can say the same thing ["no idea that he did it"] for 5-10 other architects doing this sort of work ... Ron Forse, Gil Hanse, Tripp Davis, and ourselves included among them.

And yes, Bill M., we are doing a little more of that type of work right now because things are so slow.  We have signed on to do some work at Oyster Harbors on Cape Cod, and at Shawnee on the Delaware, and made proposals at one or two other clubs.  But, I believe that our new-course work is going to rebound and I don't want to commit too many guys or resources to restoration projects unless they are going to happen SOON.

Glad to hear that.  Our commercial (building) construction business appears to be rebounding as well, but it's going to be mostly restoration or remodeling for a while.  There are too many vacant buildings and end users can have us remodel them a lot less expensively thajn building a new one.

Not quite the same parallel situation but close enough!

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 12:11:53 AM »
Ian Andrew has developed a good reputation restoring golf courses of Stanley Thompson & Walter Travis. Apart from his new work, Mike DeVries has completed numerous restorations of Mackenzie courses.

TK

Brian Phillips

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 06:51:17 AM »
We have just spent the last 5 years restoring/redesigning Stavanger golf course in a similar fashion to that found in the London heathland courses and we have been involved with a number of other courses in Norway and Scotland.

It is very much part of our bread and butter and has been for the last five years.  We really enjoy it but it is a very difficult and painstaking sometimes frustrating part of the profession. 

Here are some photos of the Stavanger work. Some of it is restoration much of it was redesign.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 08:31:34 AM »
Keith Foster has been providing some outstanding restoration results recently. In addition to the aformentioned Southern Hills his firm did work at Baltimore CC East, Wilmington CC South and I believe Colonial. The beauty of Keith's work is that you have no idea that he did it because he prefers to enhance the original work as opposed to leaving his personal stamp on it. At least that is what I have heard from thse at the clubs he worked for.

Rob,
  Funny you commented about Keith and what the clubs say about his work. I played Ballen Isles yesterday where Keith worked last summer along with Colonial. For the record, Keith's work there is THE BEST Dick Wilson bunkering on any golf course, period. The work that his did there is second to NO ONE, of which he should be very proud of.  But, the Director of Golf said the same thing-" Keith did not put his stamp on this course, nothing here screams of Keith Foster."

Tony Nysse
Pine Tree GC
Boynton Beach, FL
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back