News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Re: A Pictorial: Kingsbarns Golf Links!!! (5th hole discussion now in session)
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 10:33:32 PM »
5th hole schematic:
http://www.kingsbarns.com/hole05.php

The 5th hole is a medium length, dogleg-right par 4.

The fairway wraps around this bunker, diving down before climbing back up to the green. Tee shots that favor the left yield better approach angles. The green is nestled in its own naturalistic amphitheater. The bunker guarding the left side of the green is just visible

Looking back.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

Re: A Pictorial: Kingsbarns Golf Links!!! (6th hole discussion now in session)
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 07:02:03 PM »
6th hole schematic:
http://www.kingsbarns.com/hole06.php

The 6th tee shot presents another series of choices: 1) play safely to the left, leaving a poor angle and low visibility to the green 2) play just short and left of the fairway bunkers or 3) try to carry the bunkers. I chose option 3 and made a 10-foot putt foot for eagle, one of several reasons why I’ll probably never play this course again (also $$$, distance).

A closer look at the approach. An “ancient” burn runs just behind the green – a hidden hazard detested by Tom Doak.

A look back towards the tee.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 08:58:00 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Matt MacIver

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 07:22:51 PM »
One of my favorite holes on the course for the driving options, 2nd shot ground game potential and undulating green.  And the view from the tee is fantatic, what with several holes laid out in front of you and the land gently rolling towarsd the water.  Thanks for the picture - I just found a new screen saver!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 07:51:52 PM »
I realize I am in the minority on this, but the sixth hole at Kingsbarns is one of my least favorite holes on the course.  It seems much more contrived than most of the rest, particularly around the green; and the blind burn at the back ruins it for me.

But I did make a three there in the Dunhill!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 07:55:14 PM »
I realize I am in the minority on this, but the sixth hole at Kingsbarns is one of my least favorite holes on the course.  It seems much more contrived than most of the rest, particularly around the green; and the blind burn at the back ruins it for me.

The blind burn behind the 17th green on the Monterey Peninsula Shore Course ruined a good card for me with a triple bogey.  >:(

So I am also not a fan of blind burns behind greens.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2009, 09:20:16 PM »
I recall the fun of deciding on which club to play off the tee. We had to wait so I had plenty of time to think about it. As I did not hit a perfect shot, the rest of the hole was unforgiving. Notwithstanding the burn, how does one recognize contrived on a course that is itself manufactured?
Is that the trick? Looking natural when not being natural. If so, which hole appears natural, that isn't?
I struggle with tryng to differentiate between pleasing to the eye, challenging to the game, and using what is there in order to make a good golf hole.
I can't wait to play #6 at Pacific Dunes and 14 @ Bandon Trails next week to compare the holes.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2009, 08:27:54 AM »

Tom,

I have never met anyone that has gone in the burn at the back.  I think Marty Bonnar caddied there a whole season and only saw one or two go in, so I really don't think it is in play to be honest.  Do you have yips with your pitches or something?

Contrived, contrived the whole course is contrived if this hole is contrived...

As you know I think it is one of the best holes on the course.  :D
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Brian Phillips

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2009, 08:34:42 AM »
Hole 6 during construction and in 2002 just before Dunhill Links.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Anthony Gray

Re: A Pictorial: Kingsbarns Golf Links!!! (2nd hole discussion now in session)
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2009, 03:33:42 PM »
2nd hole schematic:
http://www.kingsbarns.com/hole02.php

The 2nd hole is a medium length par 3 that allows for low running approaches.

Shots will feed on to the green from the left/front fringe. The surrounding turf ties in beautifully with that of the putting surface, allowing for multiple recovery options as long as one avoids the bunkers.

Part of the genius of this green is how a ball on the left center of the green funnels into the greeside bunker on the left.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

Re: A Pictorial: Kingsbarns Golf Links!!! (4th hole discussion now in session)
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2009, 03:41:13 PM »
I think the fourth is a very fun hole. It offers you a the chance to go at your driver and try to carry a nasty bunker... fun! Then if you hit it in the bunker your shot really isn't as hard as it looks, the face is low in some spots to actually go for the green (see the pic)... fun again!

I would say it is a hard par, but an easy bogey. Plenty of options. Memorable hazards.

It just appears a little unfair to to short hitter. No middle ground. Hit a long drive or lay up with a mid-iron. Not much of an option.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

Re: A Pictorial: Kingsbarns Golf Links!!! (5th hole discussion now in session)
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2009, 03:46:25 PM »
5th hole schematic:
http://www.kingsbarns.com/hole05.php

The 5th hole is a medium length, dogleg-right par 4.

The fairway wraps around this bunker, diving down before climbing back up to the green. Tee shots that favor the left yield better approach angles. The green is nestled in its own naturalistic amphitheater. The bunker guarding the left side of the green is just visible

Looking back.

Love this hole. Driver is not a must. Great green sloping back to front with a little punch bowl feel. Approach from the left is most favorable.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2009, 03:54:14 PM »

I have never noticed the burn after about 15 plays. I must be blind. I think this is one of the most strategic short par 4's in the world along with 6 at Pac Dunes. I cannot believe I have never noticed the burn after all the times I have played there.

Anthony

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2009, 04:48:06 PM »
I've been holding off posting my thoughts until messrs Doak and Phillips had given us the benefits of their wisdoms.
I'm waaaaaaaaay in the Phillips camp on #6. It's a freakin' great golf hole. For one single, simple, ubiquitous, unassailable, indisputable reason......

Golfers love it.

I saw so many golfers reactions to the great short yet theatrical walk between 5 and 6 and saw their expressions as they arrived on that tee. Some rose to the challenge, some realised their weaknesses, some attempted things beyond their ability, some chickened out, some went for glory and failed, some went for glory and succeeded, some laughed, some cried, some lived, some died (okay, I've taken that too far, but you get my drift... ;D)

Delicious, delightful, dee-lovely. It's a wee charmer. Ignore Doak. Come play it, you'll be enthralled.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Kyle Henderson

Re: A Pictorial: Kingsbarns Golf Links!!! (7th hole discussion now in session)
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2009, 09:05:56 PM »
7th hole schematic:
http://www.kingsbarns.com/hole07.php

The 7th hole is a brawny test of a par 4 (470yards from the tips). Everything moves from right to left, with the 16th hole running in the opposite direction along the left border.

The green (viewed from long/right) is much deeper than it is wide.

Anthony Gray

Re: A Pictorial: Kingsbarns Golf Links!!! (7th hole discussion now in session)
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2009, 09:12:11 PM »

I have seen golfers play down the 16th fairway. The runoff in the middle left part of the green has a divot field at the bottom.

Anthony

Kyle Henderson

Re: A Pictorial: Kingsbarns Golf Links!!! (8th hole discussion now in session)
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2009, 04:14:36 PM »
My playing partner and I were waved through by the foursome ahead, so all of my shots of the 8th were taken as I walked down the 9th.

8th hole schematic:
http://www.kingsbarns.com/hole08.php

This vantage point is enjoyed by those playing the forward tees. Most players will approach the green from tee boxes well left and back of this position.

A severe right-to-left slope just beyond the fronting bunker softens as it flows into the green surface. The 15th green is seen against the shoreline beyond. Scroll right to see the pin.

Don’t skull one over the green.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:16:36 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Matt MacIver

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2009, 06:09:39 PM »
Please bear with me while I re-live my favorite shot in golf.  With the wind howling at my back there was no club short enough in my bag, so using my hybred I putted about 15 yards down the walking path and followed the bouncing blowing ball all the way down to the green where it settled just off the back - eight feet away from the back flag. 

I love this shot, and this course, because despite the tremendous amount of wind I was able to find a way to the get the ball to the hole.  Was the hole (or walking path) designed with this in mind?  Probably not, and I wouldn't want to play KB regularly in the kind of wind I did that day.  But, because I COULD....makes it a great course and fair for all. 

Scott Warren

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2009, 02:42:58 AM »
This thread seems to be generating much more discussion than the TOC one, which surprises me.

Are people just more engaged by Kingsbarns? Do they feel it has all already been said about TOC? Or perhaps are people afraid to discuss their feelings and opinions about TOC for fear of being told they are "wrong?

Looks a great course. Thanks again Kyle. I bet these threads are prolonging the afterglow of your trip!

Kyle Henderson

Re: A Pictorial: Kingsbarns Golf Links!!! (9th hole discussion now in session)
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2009, 04:56:50 PM »
9th hole schematic:
http://www.kingsbarns.com/hole09.php

The par 5 9th plays towards the Scottish flag seen left of the clubhouse. The 7th green is visible on the right (scroll over), but should not be in the line of fire.

For those that drive down the right side, the line of charm down the middle is peppered with humps and hollows to complicate one’s progress. The pin is visible behind the second of four visible bunkers (counting from left to right.)

From the left side, the green is completely blind, but reachable in two with a bold second stroke.

If one plays short and left to the 10th fairway, the green is open for short approaches to right hand pins (scroll right). On this day, the pin was more easily from further to the right. The green is large and heavily contoured.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 05:02:44 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Rob Rigg

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2009, 11:12:37 PM »
Based on the photos thus far, it is apparent that Kidd likely got a lot of his inspiration for both Tetherow and the Castle Course from Kingsbarns. Based on the most recent Golf Magazine he is clearly a fan of what was done by Mr Phillips at KB.

Of course the CC looks like KB on steroids which is unfortunate.

My only yuck moment thus far was the weird bunker on 3 (I think) - revetted on the front and sloped at the back - Hopefully it does not look as bizarre or jarring in person.

Great photos Kyle - this looks like another fantastic course to play.

Are the playing corridors as tight as they seem in some of the photos?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2009, 01:01:19 AM »
Based on the photos thus far, it is apparent that Kidd likely got a lot of his inspiration for both Tetherow and the Castle Course from Kingsbarns. Based on the most recent Golf Magazine he is clearly a fan of what was done by Mr Phillips at KB.

Of course the CC looks like KB on steroids which is unfortunate.

My only yuck moment thus far was the weird bunker on 3 (I think) - revetted on the front and sloped at the back - Hopefully it does not look as bizarre or jarring in person.

Great photos Kyle - this looks like another fantastic course to play.

Are the playing corridors as tight as they seem in some of the photos?

Rob,

ick McShane was the lead shaper at both Kingsbarns and the Castle Course, hence some of the similarities.

The playing corridors are quite generous for the most part.

I had a very good day from the tee, missing only 3 fairways (1st, slightly right; 4th, slightly left; 7th, slightly left) in calm conditions, but
I'm sure a stiff crosswind could challenge that perspective.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2009, 08:31:50 AM »
Another great pictorial discussion.  I played KB on Sunday with Mike Harmon, pro at Secession.  We made a mistake and won the front nine 1 up, then Mike birdied 10,11,12,13, 14 and his partner made a hole-in-one (for a 3) on 15.   And Mike birdied 18 as well.  He's made over 40 trips to Scotland, usually with 5/6 of his members, always room for a local to join.  They are at North Berwick or Gullane today.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Anthony Gray

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2009, 10:25:39 AM »

I saw a player use a putter off the 8th tee and put it on the green. Fast and firm straight down hill.

Anthony

Kyle Henderson

10th hole schematic:
http://www.kingsbarns.com/hole10.php

The 10th is a short par 4. After driving into a somewhat tight fairway, the approach is likely to be played from an uneven lie to an elevated green set against a backdrop of trees. Putts can be tricky if the approach wasn’t a pin seeker.

Although the 10th green is the farthest inland on the course, by the 12th tee you’ll be back on the shoreline.

Anthony Gray

I believe the height of the 9th green was reduced from the first year it opened. Did i remember that correctly?

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back