News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RSLivingston_III

What would it take to get them down to the (estimated) speeds of 1895? Could it be done for a day and returned to normal easily, or is it something that would take a number of days to progressively impliment and undo?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Green speed question? If you were going to slow them down for an event...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 07:52:14 PM »
Ralph,

It would take a couple of days to get them to the slower speed you desire, that's not the difficult part.

Getting them back to their normal speeds might take longer and is always dependent upon Mother Nature.

It's NOT a one day process.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 07:56:57 PM »
Ralph,

Interesting question, and to piggy back on the speed issue, I wonder what the grain may have been like back then? I suspect it would be virtually impossible to replicate the green surfaces of yesteryear.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 08:56:51 PM »
I assumed that adding grass length was the way to slow the speed. And figured that that would cause grain/texture as a natural side effect.
Actually, isn't grain/texture and grass blade length essentially the same thing?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 09:04:26 PM »
Ralph,

No, they're not the same. Grain is a pattern of direction that the grass leaves are laying. Often it is associated with water movement and/ or sun position.

Superintendents use many tools to keep grain to a minimum, and the low mowing heights help in that regards as well. New turfgrass cultivars are bred to be dense and upright. Vertical mowing, frequent topdressing and brushing, using grooved rollers on greens mowers, etc., are all things that are used today. 100 years ago, they were still maintaining greens with minimal water(if any) and older grass varieties, not to mention the lack of grooming tools and the manpower required.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 10:26:53 PM »
"What would it take to get them down to the (estimated) speeds of 1895?"

Ralph:

If it is really something akin to the green speeds of 1895 you want to replicate, my suggestion as the easiest and simplest way to do it would be to cut cups in the fairway approaches to greens and use them as the greens. ;)

We get that effect here in the northeast sometimes when we take our greens out of play in the winter and use temporary greens in the approaches.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »
Who would even know what the greens speeds were in 1895?

Sure we could all have a guess, but it would be impossible to know.

My guess...5.5-7
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 10:56:10 PM »
Adam,

I forgot who told me, but they indicated that back in the day, when grain and lack of irrigation reigned supreme, it was not uncommon for a downhill putt to be very fast while back uphill was impossibly slow. The ability of a golfer to adjust was a key component of skill(much of which is no longer required to putt).

Joe

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back