News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Sullivan

Boston Area Recommendations
« on: August 26, 2009, 11:10:45 AM »
Hi All-

I am heading to Boston for a wedding Labor Day weekend.  Luckily, my spouse knows I am going to play golf somewhere...it's part for the deal:)

Of course I would love to play a couple of the "big boys", but I not well connected in that area. 

I'll be staying in Peabody, but I will have a rental and can drive anywhere.

Thoughts?  As always, I really appreciate it!!!!

Best,

Frank

PCCraig

Re: Boston Area Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 11:43:42 AM »
The big issue in Boston is that the Private Clubs take their "Private-Member's Only" signs very seriously.

Of the publics the big ones I know of are Pine Hills (two courses, both are pretty good but not great) and Red Tail (just had the women's mid-am or something like that?). If you head by Plymouth make sure to stop by and be wow'd by the rock and grab a Lobster Roll and Fries at the shack on the water.
H.P.S.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 12:57:18 PM »
From Peabody Red Tail is likely your best bet.  In the same area is Butter Brook, which is cheaper and quality golf, but one step below Red Tail.  Plymouth is a hike with traffic.  If in Plymouth play Waverly Oaks and not the overrated Pine Hills courses....as far as seafood go to Ipswich (not far from Peabody).  World renowned for their fried clams and Woodman's is great as well as some others.

Frank Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 01:14:28 PM »
Pat-

Thanks so much!  Which course at Pinehills do you recommend?

Cliff-

Thanks so much as well!  I'll certainly hit Ipswich for seafood...I'm a sucker for fried clams:) 

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 02:40:51 PM »
Pat-

Thanks so much!  Which course at Pinehills do you recommend?

No problem. I think if that's where you end up your best bet is Jack's course there, but both courses are pretty even if I remember correctly.

Another course, if money isn't a big issue, that is private but a phone call/letter from your pro is TPC Boston which is pretty good as well since G. Hanse got his hands on it.

And if you are going to get seafood and are anywhere near the city for either lunch or dinner, go to the Union Oyster House and order the Seafood Newburg with a Sam Adams...then walk down the street to Mike's Pastry's for a cannoli. If you don't enjoy that meal send me the bill!  :)
H.P.S.

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »
Frank,  since you will be in Peabody; try the local municipal course called The Meadows at Peabody.  I'm told it is a favorite of the locals.  Peabody use to be part of Salem back in the day and story goesit that the 7th tees (views of the ocean) is called Gallows Hill and is where the witches were toasted.  Of course, it might just be a story...  but the views are good and the 150' drop and bite off as much as you can tee shot make the par 5 interesting.

Woodman's in Ipswich rules.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 04:29:53 PM »
I would only bother with The Meadow at Peabody if travel time were a big factor.  It's not much fun, and it's got some holes that can only be justified by the "it's a municipal course, and we didn't have any money, so we did what we could with what we had" argument.

Red Tail is definitely the best public course in the greater Boston area.

The Pinehills is about 1 hour 15 minutes away with no traffic; the Nicklaus course is better than the other one.  But both are a notch below Red Tail.

And forget about Woodman's in Ipswich; that's just for tourists.  If you're headed that way, go to Farnham's, the REAL inventor of the fried clam, or into Essex for the Clam Box.

Sean Leary

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 04:38:45 PM »
If you are in Ipswich, might as well show up at Myopia Hunt unannounced and try to play there. Won't be busy...;)

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 05:22:32 PM »
If you are in Ipswich, might as well show up at Myopia Hunt unannounced and try to play there. Won't be busy...;)

Or if you're in Brookline it's worth driving in and taking a look at the 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th then turning around in the club roundabout. Just make sure to wave at Woody.  ;)
H.P.S.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 08:47:01 PM »
Cape Arundel is 90 minutes max from Peabody. If you really want to be a hero, have your wife go with you and she can shop in Kennebunkport or the Kittery Outlets while you golf. No traffic going through Boston and at the end of the day you have dinner at Federal Jacks in Kennebunkport and drive home.

Maine, lobster, Travis greens, shopping, everybody is happy!

http://www.federaljacks.com/

http://www.capearundelgolfclub.com/

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 08:38:49 AM »
Yikes, when I lived in Ipswich people I hung with went to Woodmen's and the Clam box.  Better cole slaw. 

Another option in Maine near Kennebunk is Old Marsh, just off the turnpike.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 08:56:38 AM »
I think Red Tail and Waverly are the best publics in the Boston area. Since you are staying in Peabody, I would hit Red Tail and avoid the Cape traffic.

TPC is out even if you had access because Labor Day weekend is when the Deutsche is held.

Actually, for a very fun day, head to Plymouth for an early tee time at Waverly. You could be off the course and at the TPC in Norton (about 30 minutes west of Plymouth) by the time Tiger tees off, assuming he is at or near the lead and you do this on Sunday or Monday.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 05:05:05 AM »
Frank,  since you will be in Peabody; try the local municipal course called The Meadows at Peabody.  I'm told it is a favorite of the locals.  Peabody use to be part of Salem back in the day and story goesit that the 7th tees (views of the ocean) is called Gallows Hill and is where the witches were toasted.  Of course, it might just be a story...  but the views are good and the 150' drop and bite off as much as you can tee shot make the par 5 interesting.

Woodman's in Ipswich rules.

Just a story you heard Tim...Gallows Hill actually is in Salem, there is a park by that name about 5 miles away where the witches were hanged (gallows refers to hanging as opposed to burning).  The Meadows is an ok golf course (holes range from solid to downright weird) , but some more effective GCA beard-pulling on the cheap can be done at Gannon Muni in Lynn, an old Stiles design that has been recently spruced.  Hell, make it a full Stiles day and augment the 18 at Gannon with 9 fun holes at Olde Salem Greens.  I'd extend an invite to Tedesco, but I will be in Maine for Labor Day....

Red Tail, Waverly, and Pinehills are the best publics in state, and if you have the opportunity to visit Plymouth, I would play Waverly as it will be closed for good in October!  Second choice down there would be Pinehills-Nicklaus.  Red Tail is the best of the four, but in the opposite direction from Peabody.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 06:19:48 AM »
“The big issue in Boston is that the Private Clubs take their "Private-Member's Only" signs very seriously”

You are not kidding I am going to New York and Boston (travelling from Scotland) at the end of October and thought in this quiet time they might have a few tee off times available so emailed these clubs; Old sandwich, Winged foot, Sleepy hollow and Fishers island. Maybe they do, but I was reminded, as if it should have been obvious, there was no chance I would be getting on the course.

I know these were maybe unrealistic but I got the message that most clubs would think the same and gave up trying to find golf after that.  It makes you release how lucky we are in the UK that it is possible to play nearly all the top courses without knowing a member.

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 06:29:58 AM »
Cape Arundel is 90 minutes max from Peabody. If you really want to be a hero, have your wife go with you and she can shop in Kennebunkport or the Kittery Outlets while you golf. No traffic going through Boston and at the end of the day you have dinner at Federal Jacks in Kennebunkport and drive home.

Maine, lobster, Travis greens, shopping, everybody is happy!

http://www.federaljacks.com/

http://www.capearundelgolfclub.com/

Mike

I wish you would start doing wee photo tours of these courses you mention.  They often sound lovely.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 07:41:03 AM »

Sean_A

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
I lost a bunch when I switched my company server. Here is the fairly close but too far for Frank on this trip, Maine Island Tour:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,25025.0/

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 08:12:44 AM »
I lost a bunch when I switched my company server. Here is the fairly close but too far for Frank on this trip, Maine Island Tour:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,25025.0/

Muchas Gracias Miguel.  I too lost a load of pix when I switched to Photobucket. 

I do like the look of these wee courses.  They have long been my preferred way of spoiling a good walk.

Ciao

JStewart

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 07:43:57 PM »
I'll be in Boston/Worcester in a couple weeks with a free Monday afternoon. Boston area golfers:  which (if any) private course in the area would I have a chance of getting on if I had my pro call?

Chris DeToro

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 07:41:17 AM »
Mondays are tough around here since most are closed for outside outings during the summer

Tim Martin

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 08:23:38 AM »
Worcester CC

Dave Doxey

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 08:50:30 AM »
I'll be in Boston/Worcester in a couple weeks with a free Monday afternoon. Boston area golfers:  which (if any) private course in the area would I have a chance of getting on if I had my pro call?

You might enjoy Marlborough CC  http://www.marlboroughcc.com/

Private, however I believe that their charter mandates public play allowed 1 day per week.  Call & check.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
Agreed that this major outing season, so Mondays are often tough.

Maybe try the several MA private courses accessible through boxgroove?

CC of New Bedford, Plymouth, and a few others are on there...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Chris DeToro

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 09:32:09 AM »
Whitinsville is worth a visit as well.  CC New Bedford is a fun track and the birthplace of Titleist golf balls, so a little history there as well

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back