News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

Re: Could Doak Build a '10' on the Moon?
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2009, 01:20:56 PM »
I recently read that Andy Samberg's "I'm On A Boat" is an intentional swipe at rap culture, and their ability to fully dramatize the mundane:

"I'm on a boat!"

Frankly, Jim C., I perceived the Doak song as unintentional hero worship.

This is the best rap song ever about Tom Doak.

Tim Bert

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2009, 01:27:30 PM »
I recently read that Andy Samberg's "I'm On A Boat" is an intentional swipe at rap culture, and their ability to fully dramatize the mundane:

"I'm on a boat!"

John - That's because you haven't heard "Doak in a Box" yet.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2009, 01:45:49 PM »

"I'm on a boat!"

In this case, you might want to use another Foghorn Leghorn line:  "That's a joke, son."

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2009, 01:55:55 PM »
I personally found this quite repulsive and offensive in every way . I mean really who would go to such lengths to come up with this crap ?
I will tell you someone who is quite demented and had a lot of free time on there hands, one who I could see bringing the entire new age of golf course architecture to a grinding halt. Whats next a parody of of the old courses of scotland and how we should bull doze them into extinction and turn them into strip malls ? The age difference here on GCA is quite telling and I don't mean on actual "age" .

Ok I'm KIDDING . I found it rather amusing myself. Some of the lines are brilliant in my humble opinion. I might have even found a new appreciation for rap music. I think laughter is way underrated and there should be more of it in our uptight society. When did we all start taking ourselves so seriously ALL the time ????   Kudo's for whoever came up with this one.  I also think Tom would chuckle a little to himself to by the way or at least I hope he would .

John Kirk

« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2009, 02:03:35 PM »
Some of us revere irreverence.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2009, 03:01:35 PM »

In all seriousness, Garland is a connoisseur of fine wines.  He even visited some wineries the day before the Grudge Match.

Anthony

Mike Hendren

« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2009, 03:06:57 PM »
Never mind.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 03:11:55 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Joe Hancock

« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2009, 03:08:04 PM »

I have a business relationship with Dan Kelly that prevents me from using this quote in my signature line. But someone should latch on to it.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Doug Ralston

« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2009, 03:37:33 PM »
OMG!

Just when I think you are all a bunch of clueless twits, you put out a great piece of true satire like this, and many of you actually GET IT!  :o

Well, OK, you win. All thoughts of leaving the site are now gone forever. You guys are Da Bomb!

Doug

PS: I couldn't stop laughing.  :'(
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Michael Blake

« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2009, 09:03:17 PM »
That's the funniest song I've ever heard.

'this is as real as it gits, i'm on a doak motherf**ker top minimalist'

Jim Colton

« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
New and improved!  With photo slideshow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNiZgFORf0

I did not do the slideshow, but I did write, produce and perform the song.  It wasn't out of any undying worship of Tom Doak, but more just a parody of the view that some think the so-called B-Boys have of Tom and his work.  I honestly don't think anybody thinks this way.  Plus, Tom recently got upgraded to 'YaBB God' status with his 10,000th peep and nobody said a peep about it.  Love him or hate him, you have to admit Tom brings a lot to the GCA table and it's safe to say this place would not be the same without him.

I hope it's painfully obvious that it wasn't mean spirited and I apologize to Melvyn or anybody else that was offended.  Anybody that knows me can vouch that the cursing and all the crudeness is definitely not my style.  But the parody doesn't really work without it.

I do have to say, singing autotune like T-Pain is great, great fun.  If anybody is interested in dropping their own version of T-Pain or any of the other parts, and you have a Mac or know somebody who has a Mac, I can put the Garageband files on a file share and you can have at it.  Garageband is easy to use, I hadn't used it before this little project and did the whole thing in about an hour.  All you'd need to do is record over my existing tracks.  I urge you to give it a try and upload your version to youtube.

I'm on a Doak!

Doug Wright

« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2009, 12:09:22 PM »
New and improved!  With photo slideshow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNiZgFORf0

New and Improved indeed Jim! Even funnier than the original with the embedded 10 and 8 references and such.   
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Mike Hendren

« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2009, 12:56:42 PM »
Richard

I think you are right, rap represents the New Age of Ignorance, of Zombie Mentality and rule by the lowest common dominator – a real new age of decline. Richard like new culture but is there any future. ;)

Melvyn

Melvyn,

I am convicted by your comments.  Belatedly, I'd like to thank you and all of Scotland for the Bay City Rollers.

Kindest regards,

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill Brightly

« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2009, 01:30:38 PM »
Jim,
Great job! As a funny aside, after watching the video I asked my kids (ages 22, 20, and 17) at dinner of they knew the song "I'm On A Boat" and the reaction was pricelss! They kind of glanced around at each other smirking until the oldest said he knew it and they wondered how the heck I knew about it...

Tim Bert

« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2009, 01:58:40 PM »
Jim,
Great job! As a funny aside, after watching the video I asked my kids (ages 22, 20, and 17) at dinner of they knew the song "I'm On A Boat" and the reaction was pricelss! They kind of glanced around at each other smirking until the oldest said he knew it and they wondered how the heck I knew about it...

Jim Colton - Helping bridge the generational conversation gap at the dinner table!  If this isn't good for family values, then what is??

Jim Colton

« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2009, 04:55:02 PM »
Jim,

Jim Colton - Helping bridge the generational conversation gap at the dinner table!  If this isn't good for family values, then what is??

Changing the Earth one divot, and one ill-advised golf-themed parody rap song, at a time...

Scott Warren

« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2009, 05:00:58 PM »
Jim, are we talking Neo from Matrix, or the new Bushnell GPS unit?

Jim Colton

« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2009, 05:09:45 PM »
Jim, are we talking Neo from Matrix, or the new Bushnell GPS unit?

Whoa.

Ben Sims

« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2009, 05:56:35 PM »
Jim, you're a legend.  For those of us that were "in the know", we were too afraid to step up.  Big balls my friend, and big laughs.

Sorry I've been incognito lately, but I passed my mission evaluation.  I am officially an Instructor Pilot for the USAF.  I think that scares me more than you.

The slide show is a cherry on top of a wonderful idea born of a wonderful weekend in Michigan.

Michael Blake

« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2009, 07:03:37 PM »
Congratulations Ben.

Jim, I laughed my a** off again today watching that.  Thanks.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2009, 07:09:24 PM »
I've stayed completely out of this discussion, because you never know how a parody is intended.  It's very funny, but I hope none of my son's friends stumble across this on YouTube ... at 18, he's embarrassed enough by his dad for the same reasons all 18-year-olds are.

However, I would like to quibble with the title.  When I first saw it, I thought, a "10 On The Moon" would not be good enough.  If you were going to build a course in 1/6 gravity, you'd have to build a 60 on the Doak scale.

Scott Warren

« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2009, 07:12:47 PM »
The modern ball combined with 1/6 gravity just makes the distance problems worse, reined-in grooves or not! ;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2009, 07:16:38 PM »
I don't think so, Scott.

The difference between each club in the bag would be sixty yards, and you'd still be playing to a pinpoint target, so there would be MORE need for feel and shotmaking.  Plus nearly every shot would be out of moon dust.  No wind, though.

Scott Warren

« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2009, 07:19:37 PM »
Sorta makes sense to build a golf course up there, I mean, they've already got buggies wired up ready to be equipped with GPS units...

Ben Sims

« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2009, 07:25:46 PM »
Hmm, I'll stay out of the moon talk.  

But I would like to point out again how hard Jimmy Coltrain worked on this.  We got minute by minute updates via text and email as late as two in the morning after we all left Kingsley Club last weekend.  Several iterations came across my email, and I even thought of asking one of our more talented producers on the site to help with some ideas for a video.  I could round up a helicopter, a crew, and some gold teeth.  We could have Urbina laying down the tenor T-Pain lines.  The locations could be on top of majestic dunes overlooking a few Renaissance holes.

It's fun being a geek....  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back