News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Atlantic--Greatness finally realized
« on: May 29, 2009, 11:11:53 AM »
For the past few years, the club has been doing a major in house renovation of the the golf course.  Every bunker was rebuilt with many eliminated and a few new fairway bunkers strategically located.  One of the best examples of this work is the 379 yard 12th which has become an awesome short hole with several driving options.   The green is probably around 300 yards carry from the tee.  Downwind, this is an easy carry for the longer hitter, but not without some round killing consequences iif there is a mishit or missed target guess.  the fairway bunkers are located at 255 for the left and 270 yards.  290 yards will put the drive through the fairway if not hit agressively enough over the left fairway bunker.

This is a very tough bunker that is a good 5-7 feet deep and balls that hit the front middle with too much spin could end up in the bunker.

Note the tight lie areas surrounding the green.  My caddy is standing next to the bunker to note how it is set back from the green, but with a couple of feet falloff.

Bill_McBride

Re: Atlantic--Greatness finally realized
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:48:33 AM »
Let's hope Melvyn doesn't see this picture!  Is that a foursome down there?

Ed Oden

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:11:54 PM »
Robert, I played Atlantic one time about 2.5 years ago and the only hole we didn't get to see was the 12th!  It was closed, presumably for the work you mentioned.  Overall, I was pleasantly surprised and thought the course was very good.  The competition from the neighbors is just so stiff that it inevitably suffers by comparison. 

Ed

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 12:59:32 PM »
robert,
  Any more pics? Rober Raynum is one of the best superintendents in America and always provides OUTSTANDING conditions!
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 10:51:21 PM »

The 15th green used to be surrounded by uglly imitation lunar mounds and typical Rees styled bunkers. 

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 10:57:44 PM »
It looks as though Raynum is trying to make it a more convex course, with more emphasis on stripping things down to the stark demands of the holes than excesses and accountrements.   That's a very good thing in my estimation.

Is Rees Jones still involved there at all?   

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 10:59:07 PM »
The routing, fairways, and greens are still Rees.  The bunkers were done by a commitee that prominately included Ranum and Hartmann.  When Rick played the European Tour he lived around the corner from Sunningdale and loves the Surrey area courses.  Quite a few of these bunkers could be at home at Sunningdale.
Here is a not so great comparison because it was off and on rain during the round, but the bunker styling is similar.

And some more new bunkers

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 11:03:21 PM »
Robert,

I see a lot of superb convex features in your pics.

I've never been all that excited to get out there and see Atlantic, but now I am because it's starting to remind me of Olde Kinderhook in places.

Have you been able to get up near Albany and see OK?   I think you'd find much to enjoy there.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 03:44:30 PM »

bump

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 10:35:17 PM »
RMD,

Are you sure that that's the 15th green in your photo ?

I thought there was nothing but a cornfield behind that green, or is it just the angle from which you took the picture ?

Mike Cirba,

While I can't confirm it today, it was my understanding that Rees is still involved.

George Freeman

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 10:45:33 PM »
What is the full name and location of this course?  I like the looks of it!

Thanks
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jason Walker

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 10:52:12 PM »
I think Mike Cirba bailed out to spend more time at Cobb's Creek

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 10:24:17 AM »
What is the full name and location of this course?  I like the looks of it!

George,

Bridgehampton, NY

Mike,

When's the last time you played Atlantic ?

Ed Oden

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 11:11:24 AM »
For comparison sake, here are a few pictures of bunkers at Atlantic taken 3 years ago:

#2 and #3

I assume these pre-date the bunker work described by Robert.  To me, the greenside bunkers look very different from the photos posted by Robert.  I don't see as much of a difference with the fairway bunkers.

Ed

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 01:42:10 PM »
Sometime ago Patrick Mucci recommended everyone purchase a book about the creation of Atlantic Golf Club entitled Miracle on Breeze Hill. I did, and I thank Patrick for it, and heartily recommend that anyone interested in what it takes to make a golf club happen give it a read - it's a real eye opener.

The course has engendered many discussions on here, good and bad, but it definitely looks like a very nice place to enjoy a round, especially in the new photos. Thanks for posting them, RMD.

(Btw, for those who don't know, a little birdie once told me RMD might just be the best golfer on the site... :))
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Nugent

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 05:22:30 PM »

(Btw, for those who don't know, a little birdie once told me RMD might just be the best golfer on the site... :))

He must be one of the best.  Some stiff competition, though.  Pat Burke, for one.  Mike Clayton.  Tom Lehman, if that's really him. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 09:37:56 PM »
Every picture looks pretty good to me, current and 3 yrs ago.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back