News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Re: Walker Cup Invitation
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 12:02:17 AM »
Steve

My Girlfriend , the inestimable Martha, and i  will be delighted to adopt the smells and bells for the duration. or probable just sat; i predicet sunday will be too thrilling too risk leaving

WardPeyronnin
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

K. Krahenbuhl

Jason Mandel

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 11:47:29 AM »
Unfortunately we have been blitzed with heavy rain since late Thursday night.   I have all the respect in the World for Matt Shaffer, but firm and fast does not appear to be in the cards.   :-\

You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Michael Blake

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 01:08:42 PM »
I was at the course this morning at 7:15 for my marshal duties.
The USGA had a meeting at 9:30 and determined the practice round would be cancelled.  I had heard that both teams have played a number of rounds there already, and also at Aronimink.

Some pretty hard, consistent rain all last night and today.  Decent amount of water on the tees, certain spots in FW's and in some bunkers.

I'm sure Matt and company will have the course in good shape tomorrow. Everyone kept saying how well the course drains.  Fast and firm would be nice, but any course condition is good for match play.  Should be good.

See you guys at the luncheon tomorrow around 11:30.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 01:12:38 PM by Michael Blake »

Tom Dunne

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 01:12:42 PM »
Thanks for the report, Michael. Alas, I was looking forward to a camera-friendly day at Merion. Guess I'll stay home today....  :(

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 03:04:18 PM »
Michael - thanks for the report - I'm out in Chester County - my home is on Pickering Creek and it flooded big time today.  The only time I've ever seen it flood during the summer was during tropical storms.  We're having a baby hurricane here!  Ughh!

I was really looking forward to the opening ceremoinies - c'est la vie.

Definitely going to wear the golf shoes tomorrow - not for traction, but for their waterproof properties.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 07:11:13 PM »
Steve, amen!
We've needed these low dewpoints to dry things out.  This summer has been horrible with all the rain, and this nice spell should result in fantastic conditions at Merion.

Too bad that didn't work out, sounds pretty soggy there!

mike_beene

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
Do they shut Ardmore Ave down? Also,there is a convent somewhere by Merion and this Baptist has an invitation to stay there in 2013,so you guys be nice to the nuns.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 10:47:39 PM »
A great big thank you to Kris and Steve Shreiner, heck their whole family for setting this up, and the long golf cart rides.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Walker Cup Invitation& Thanks from Shreiner Bros
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2009, 07:49:47 PM »
Here's a note I received from Kris Shreiner:

To the Tree house and fellow lurkers,
On behalf of the Shreiner family, Steve and I would like to thank all of you for your kind remarks after sharing time with us at the Walker Cup. We really enjoyed meeting and hosting a wonderful group of GCA folks.
 Special thanks to Steve Shaffer, who was tireless in his follow-up bumps to give all a chance to learn of our event, and also Tom Paul, who put me in touch with Steve and beat the drum to rally the troops.
It was a very special golf week there @  Merion…. it was Philadelphia golf, American golf AND International golf at its very best.  Understated in commercial visibility, respectful fans that appreciated what they were witnessing,  tremendous shotmaking  and player sportsmanship were in abundance.
I’ll share two quotes, both given by different Irish fans, that certainly made an impression on me.  The first was something said to me at our event at St. Georges church by Peter Beames, noted golf instructor from Dublin , Ireland. He said, “Kris, I’ve traveled all over the world during my life, but I’ve never met more helpful, kind and gracious people than I’ve met this week in Philadelphia. No matter where we’ve been…at the course, in the shops or at dinner, they couldn’t have been nicer.”
The second was from an Uncle of the Irish player on the GB and I team, when we all had joined in to sing some songs later that night on the clubhouse porch. In between ballads he turned to me, put his arm around me and said, “ It really doesn’t get any better than this, golf WAS the winner this week! “  How true.
While I know some in the treehouse tire of the relentless, sometimes overbearing nature of the Philly contingent on this site,  we are a very passionate bunch, as are many from all locales that post here.  I for one, was deeply moved by, and am humbly proud of our city’s Walker Cup effort…Merion, indeed all of those connected with Philly golf, really tried to do it right.
Cheers, 
Kris Shreiner
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

astavrides

Re: Walker Cup Invitation& Thanks from Shreiner Bros
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2009, 03:38:52 AM »
Well said, Kris.  The Philly bunch is a passionate about golf bunch.  You and your family made a nice contribution to making the event such a good one.  Thanks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back