News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jkinney

Re: What's your favorite
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2009, 06:59:51 PM »
Anthony Gray,

This thread isn't about how the PGA Tour Pros play a hole, it's about how you and other amateurs on this site play a hole.

I really like # 18 at Shinnecock, but, I wouldn't want to have to play it, needing a birdie to qualify for some important event, would you ?

Agreed. So many more permutations & combinations happen on 18 at NGLA. Plus the views are sensational.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2009, 07:14:58 PM »
Muirfield.  A good drive can leave a short iron to a green with two subtle tiers, requiring great distance control. A poor drive is dead.  If you've hit a good drive and a precise second then birdie is a possibility.  A poor second makes bogey a good score.  Par is always a good score though and each shot needs to be a good one.  If I'm one down playing the last, I know I've a chance of going down 19 because this is a hole where there'll be a wide variance in scores.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Pat Burke

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »
I would have to agree on Carnoustie.  Anything can happen there.  I am a fan of demanding the player hit good shots to finish off a round.
The 18th on the composite at Royal Melbourne is also pretty impressive

Chris Cupit

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2009, 07:47:24 PM »
#18s I loved (or really like) :D:

Pine Valley--gorgeous view looking down onto fairway and another beautiful shot into the green
St. Andrews--after #17 its the perfect "catch up" hole and the setting is simply the best in golf
Shinnecock--I really liked it?  Surprised some had it as a let down.
Wallassey
Baltusrol Lower (and Upper isn't bad either)
Atlanta CC--fun reachable par 5
Pebble Beach--never played it but it looks spectacular
Royal Porthcawl--I don't think I ever made better than a bogey but I loved the second shot down into the green with the Irish Sea (?) as a backdrop. 

#18s that are famous but that I just don't "get"  ???:
NGLA--I LOVE the course and just can't get my arms around #18--maybe it's the steepness of the uphill climb, I don't know?
Merion--Blind up and out of the quarry and at 505 it guarantees a really long iron or hybrid to a pretty one dimensional green--false front that you have to make sure and be "up" on.  With that long a shot it seems like most anyone is just trying to land anywhere on the green and not leave it short.
RCD--Haven't played since the renovation but a bit of a let down after an exhilarating opening 
Muirfield--Unless the wind was very favorable, due to the severe rough on the right it was always a lay up off the tee to stay short of the FW bunkers.  Way too narrow to try to hit between bunkers and right rough when I played.  It is a great second shot and tremendous green though.
Butler National--OK, I hated this hole.  STOOPID trees :o
ANGC--another uphill finish that's just a bit severe for me.
Bandon Dunes--dull :(
Bandon Trails--loved the course way more than BD but the finishing drive was too bumpy for me given that its blind and usually very windy.  Too severe off the tee.
Royal Dublin--Ugh :(  90 degree dogleg right with OB al the way down the DZ and approach?  And it's ugly too :D

Chris Cupit

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2009, 08:05:13 PM »
Forgot a great finisher--Milwaukee CC

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back