News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Calling John VB -- rules controversy at Solheim Cup
« on: August 21, 2009, 03:36:35 PM »
Wie, way off line with her drive on the par 5 closing 18th, put her second shot in a strange layup area of the 18th. She ends up in a part of the fairway that's pretty chewed up, with her ball on the edge of what appears to be a divot, or a small, chewed-up area of the fairway. The US team asks if she can get relief; the area is not marked off in any way as GUR. The rules official, after consulting with another rules official, gives Wie relief, with the Euro players and captain wondering how Wie can get relief without her ball being in an area marked GUR. The rules official said it was an area "looked at" by officials for marking off as GUR, but wasn't because "we didn't think anyone would end up here."

Huh?

Dale Jackson

Re: Calling John VB -- rules controversy at Solheim Cup
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 03:55:38 PM »
In general, GUR can be declared by Rules Referees without it being marked prior to play.  It is not unusual for a Rules Committee to review a course prior to play and decide an area might be considered GUR but not mark it as such if is is well out of the area of expected play.  If a player should find their way into the area, as Wie seems to have done, relief will be granted.  The area will be marked when play has left the area.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 04:00:11 PM »
Dale,

It was comical - the referee said that they had looked at the area before play and didn't think anyone would finish there.
It was in the middle of the fairway - and right where you would pitch out of you missed the fairway.

She said it 'was between shots' what ever that means.

JESII

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 04:02:17 PM »
Sounds pretty weak to me...was the committee that "looked at it" ahead of time trying to conserve paint?

Carl Nichols

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 04:06:53 PM »
What ended up happening with the hole and match?

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 04:08:08 PM »
Moot point (pun intended) as it turned out. Wie's third landed in the front bunker and the Euros won the hole to halve the match.

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 04:16:23 PM »
There should be no controversy on the ruling -- only on why the area was not marked as GUR.  It was obvious (to me at least) that where Wie'd ball landed qualifies as GUR.

JESII

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 04:18:11 PM »
It was obvious (to me at least) that where Wie'd ball landed qualifies as GUR.

Why is that Jimmy?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 04:45:27 PM »
It was obvious (to me at least) that where Wie'd ball landed qualifies as GUR.

Why is that Jimmy?

Indeed, why?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 06:13:30 PM »
See my blog and Decision 33-2a/2

John_Conley

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 06:25:05 PM »
Jim, Mark-

It was pretty chewed up. 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 06:30:38 PM »
It was, indeed.  But "chewed up" isn't GUR, is it?  GUR is GUR.  If you start to give relief for "chewed up" then you'll give GUR for any divot.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 06:44:41 PM »

Thanks, John.

Love the piece on Tiger and Paddy, btw.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Doug Wright

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 07:20:02 PM »

Thanks John. 
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Phil McDade

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 07:43:24 PM »
John:

Thanks much!

Phil

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 07:54:27 PM »
John,

For those of us, such as myself, who have been foolish enough to have forgotten about your blog, can you give us the web address?

Phil McDade

Carl Nichols

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 08:02:45 PM »
You can also click on one of the icons under John's name at the left of his posts.

G Jones

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 08:07:52 PM »
A certain Argentinian once got a score on a hole at the Masters. He knew he got that score, but he forgot to mark it as such. He was forced to continue with the situation he had created and ended up losing as a result. That is golf.

Even Hinkle's tree at Inverness was planted overnight.

EDITED now that I see that the USGA decision says the committee can declare it GUR. That's a real pity as that is a terrible rule, bred I would imagine out of the modern obsession with perfect lies and not accepting rub of the green. If there is casual water then there is a rule for that. But if it's just ground that isn't in perfect condition then that is just nuts. But each to his own.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:18:13 PM by G Jones »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 08:20:32 PM »
A certain Argentinian once got a score on a hole at the Masters. He knew he got that score, but he forgot to mark it as such. He was forced to continue with the situation he had created and ended up losing as a result. That is golf.

EDITED now that I see that the USGA decision says the committee can declare it GUR. That's a real pity as that is a terrible rule. But each to his own.

The sick part about it is that this whole problem existed because the tour and/or the course wanted to "save face". If you mark all GUR areas as GUR areas before play, the course may look like a goat pasture. Heaven forbid Rich Harvest Farms should look like a goat pasture! Even though it appears they have GUR in a fairway during an international event!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Phil McDade

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 09:00:19 PM »
Bayley:

It has been wet out here. And it was a farm. ;)

JohnV

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 03:23:02 PM »

EDITED now that I see that the USGA decision says the committee can declare it GUR. That's a real pity as that is a terrible rule, bred I would imagine out of the modern obsession with perfect lies and not accepting rub of the green. If there is casual water then there is a rule for that. But if it's just ground that isn't in perfect condition then that is just nuts. But each to his own.
So if a golf cart drives across the fairway and cuts a deep rut just before youhit your ball into that rut you feel that you should get know relief?

Chris Cupit

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 08:24:19 PM »
Guys,

I will concede that manpower was not an issue in this case but how many of you who can't believe the committee could have missed this GUR have ever run a tournament as an official in charge and been responsible for marking a course for play?  It's not a baseball diamond or football field--it's hundreds of acres and as JVB points out sometimes things happen between when you mark and the player arrives at a particular spot (although not in this case it seems).

There is not enough paint in the world to cover every possible situation and because experienced officials know the rules and the flexibility given under Rule 33 no attempt is made to mark everything.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 12:51:27 PM »
Guys,

I will concede that manpower was not an issue in this case but how many of you who can't believe the committee could have missed this GUR have ever run a tournament as an official in charge and been responsible for marking a course for play?  It's not a baseball diamond or football field--it's hundreds of acres and as JVB points out sometimes things happen between when you mark and the player arrives at a particular spot (although not in this case it seems).

There is not enough paint in the world to cover every possible situation and because experienced officials know the rules and the flexibility given under Rule 33 no attempt is made to mark everything.

Having walked around here for three days, I can see why they didn't mark that area. It's not close to a layup area unless you've really screwed up your first shot. But it is in an area of the course that was flooded earlier in the year and didn't come back well. So I'd have marked it for that reason, just in case someone played the hole as poorly as I might have. Still, it didn't have to be marked, no matter how much Alison Nicholas said it should have been. I haven't been by that spot today, so can't tell you if it's marked today.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 06:16:01 AM »
Guys,

The area WAS noticed, just not marked.
18th hole-center of fairway-noted prior to event by official-----not marking it was a whiff--period.

There aren't hundreds of acres of fairways
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back