News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

Re: Chicago Highlands and the Olympic Golf Tournament
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 03:56:26 PM »
Are those the same oddsmakers who had agreed to pay off their TW bets on Saturday night??

That was Paddy Power.  They are on that list.  I think the guy who runs it lost 1.2M pounds when Woods didn't win and would have lost 5M pounds if Harrington had won.  Leave it to the Irish to screw up bookmaking (I kid).
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Richard Choi

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 04:27:25 PM »
One thing you guys should consider is that the OCC will require that the hosting course be pretty open. That means that any club that does not have some minority members and women members will not get a chance to host an Olympic event.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 12:32:42 PM »
Wow, how far in front of the horse is this cart?  A course that has not yet opened, is not yet complete, which has never hosted a tournament, let alone a major golf event, completely inaccessable by public transportation, and they want to host Olympic Golf?   

Good luck.

Wasn't the Ryder Cup given to Kiawah before it was finished?

The Ocean Course opened for play in May of 1991.  The Ryder Cup was held in September...

Paul Richards

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 01:06:15 PM »
You are invited to view John's photo album: Chicago Highlands August Aerials

Chicago Highlands August Aerials
Aug 25, 2009
by John
View Album
Play slideshow

Message from John:
Hello,

If you have not been out to the course in a while please come by to see it. It looks great.

John

These pictures were sent with Picasa, from Google.
Try it out here: http://picasa.google.com/
If you are having problems viewing this email, copy and paste the following into your browser:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=BaxGGHC&target=ALBUM&id=5373935173704135201&authkey=Gv1sRgCMzahK_a9qmTWw&invite=CO7v_cgF&feat=email
To share your photos or receive notification when your friends share photos, get your own free Picasa Web Albums account.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

PCCraig

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 01:43:16 PM »
You are invited to view John's photo album: Chicago Highlands August Aerials

Chicago Highlands August Aerials
Aug 25, 2009
by John
View Album
Play slideshow

Message from John:
Hello,

If you have not been out to the course in a while please come by to see it. It looks great.

John

These pictures were sent with Picasa, from Google.
Try it out here: http://picasa.google.com/
If you are having problems viewing this email, copy and paste the following into your browser:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=BaxGGHC&target=ALBUM&id=5373935173704135201&authkey=Gv1sRgCMzahK_a9qmTWw&invite=CO7v_cgF&feat=email
To share your photos or receive notification when your friends share photos, get your own free Picasa Web Albums account.

Paul -

There are some interesting looking holes there. Hard to judge from the air, but there is potential. When will the course actually open...it looks ready to play now.
H.P.S.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 08:26:41 PM »
Paul,  I saw the pictures earlier and from what I have personally seen onsite things are shaping up nicely at CH. This will definitely be a players course given the length should they chose to stretch it out. Very nice elevation changes. My hope is that guys would refrain from criticism until they see it. I understand you guys are hoping for a April opening?
                                         Wish you well,   Jack

Paul Richards

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 12:06:15 PM »
Jack

You make a great point - "...guys would refrain from criticism until they see it"

That is the least that one could ask for.

And I believe that opening will indeed be next spring. 

:)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

JR Potts

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 08:46:46 PM »
"...guys would refrain from criticism until they see it"

If that were the mantra of this site (one which I would support), the discussion level of this site would drop by 90%.

Paul Richards

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 04:00:59 PM »
Hello,

Scott Szybowicz, a Chicago based teaching pro, met me at the course last week.  Please follow the link below to read the posting on his blog.

www.thegolfingblog.com

John Baxter
630-250-4925

David Kelly

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 11:35:37 AM »
Well so much for that.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2009, 11:38:34 AM »
Well so much for that.

So where to host the Rio golf tournament? :)

PThomas

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2009, 11:47:33 AM »
there's more important things to take care of in Chicago than the Olympics
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

David Kelly

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 01:29:53 PM »
there's more important things to take care of in Chicago than the Olympics

Yeah, I'm sure the Chicago politicians are going to get right on that now.

Phil McDade

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2009, 02:32:03 PM »
Dave:

I really don't think the presence of the Obamas would've made a difference either way. There are lots of politics involved in the election of the Olympic site, of course, but I think the Obamas and Da' Mayor mis-construed the kind of politics at play here. I think Rio got it because: a) Rio's pitch was centered on the status of South America being the only continent not to have hosted the Summer Games; and b) in the world of international sporting politics, Pele is a much larger figure than either Barack or Michelle.

Paul Richards

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2009, 02:55:24 PM »
>Pele is a much larger figure than either Barack or Michelle.

Wow.  Don't let them hear you say that.

;)

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2009, 03:00:57 PM »
I wrote in 2007 that it would be Madrid because of the old-boy network in the IOC. Old man Samarach was from Spain, his kid was running the Spanish Olympic Committee and fronting the Madrid bid, and they know how to twist arms while throwing a party. But the old boy may have overextended himself when he said, in so many words, "Vote for Madrid because I'd like to see it happen before I kick." So do you want to vote for an Olympics that might include a wake or one with naked beach volleyball?
Who votes for who isn't made public, but the vote seemed to go along continental lines in round 1, with Rio getting all the later support.
Round 1: Madrid 28, Rio 26, Tokyo 22, Chicago 18.
Round 2: Rio 46, Madrid 29, Tokyo 20.
Round 3: Rio 66, Madrid 32.
As Tip O'Neill said, "All politics is local." In Chicago, there's another saying: "We don't want nobody nobody sent."
This saves Chicago the headache of seven years of road construction followed by seven years of indictments.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2009, 03:03:23 PM »
I'm just dumbfounded that Obama put his political capital on the line without knowing the outcome?  Very unpresidential and pretty stupid for the smartest man on the planet...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 04:23:54 PM by Mike Vegis @ Kiawah »

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2009, 03:13:36 PM »
I'm just dumbfounded that Obama put his political capital out without knowing the outcome?  Very unpresidential and pretty stupid for the smartest man on the planet...

I'm sure the PMs of Spain and Japan are feeling the same way today. Hey, there's only one winner, and it's not like they can't bid again. Beijing lost before winning, and Athens' loss for the centennial Games of 1996 to Atlanta is still a stunner. Of course, you could bribe IOC delegates then. That went out the window with the Salt Lake City scandal, and took away a probable Chicago maneuver.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Garland Bayley

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »
Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva 1 - Barack Obama 0
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Paul Richards

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 05:26:23 PM »
>This saves Chicago the headache of seven years of road construction followed by seven years of indictments.

This is exactly why Tim Cronin is my favorite sports writer!

;)

Jason McNamara

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2009, 06:35:35 PM »
The best snark I heard was the Chicago cronies didn't cut in the IOC cronies for enough of the action.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2009, 06:52:59 PM »
Dudes,

"The olympics have never been in South America"

They opened with that fact in their presentation. Brilliant.

They got this one right

.... and saved Chicago a fortune!
I can understand why any city would take this on with all the costs and losses that come with it.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2009, 08:31:27 PM »
Well so much for that.

So where to host the Rio golf tournament? :)
There are two Stanley Thompson courses in Rio - Gavea and Itanhanga.  How much of Stanley's work that remains is a good question.

No offense to you guys from Chicago but I have been to both Chicago and Rio several times and Rio has a lot more flare than Chicago.  Copacabana and Ipanema are much nicer than any beaches in Chicago.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 09:35:00 PM by Wayne_Kozun »

Jud_T

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2009, 08:45:48 PM »
Can anyone tell me of an Arthur Hillls design that is really first rate?  I have yet to play one...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2009, 09:34:31 PM »
I can understand why any city would take this on with all the costs and losses that come with it.
Ian - I assume that is a typo and you meant to say can't.  So then I guess you wouldn't be the chair of the Brantford 2020 bid?

But it would be pretty cool if the first Olympic golf event in over a century was on a (at least nominally) Stanley Thompson course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back